Law or business degree in/post residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enter_and_escape

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am highly interested in the law and business side of healthcare. I am interested in MBA but open to other options. Not interested in JD. What type of business and/or law degrees are recommended? and when is the best time to get those degrees?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I'm participating in the current ERAS cycle. I am highly interested in the law and business side of healthcare. I am interested in MBA but open to other options. Not interested in JD. What type of business and/or law degrees are recommended? and when is the best time to get those degrees?

You’re not going to get a degree in residency unless you take time off from residency, which is tough to do unless pre-arranged with the program. And “best” depends on what your end goal is. What do you want to do with this added degree?

Reactions: 1 users
Most residencies will want you to be focusing on your specialty during training not on another degree. I do know of people who got an MBA or MPH during research years of a general surgery residency but those are the exceptions to the rule (and those programs will want you to prove how that aids you vs time in the lab).

The more common path is be in practice 10-15 years then go back for a night/weekend “executive MBA” and try to use that as a springboard into administration. Doesn’t always work and traditional MBA grads tend to discriminate a bit against executive folks.

I have a friend who practiced for years and then went and got a Masters in Hospital Administration. He’s pretty much given up practicing med and is a CEO of a community hospital. He’s very happy with the change.

So I'm participating in the current ERAS cycle. I am highly interested in the law and business side of healthcare. I am interested in MBA but open to other options. Not interested in JD. What type of business and/or law degrees are recommended? and when is the best time to get those degrees?
Look into a top-ranked on-line MBA program which will give you the most flexibility as a resident. Particularly, the programs at Indiana, Carnegie Mellon and the University of North Carolina. (I'm familiar with the first two programs as an on-campus graduate student , but I was not an on-line student at either school.) Then, once you have the MD/MBA combo, a number of the top tier consulting firms would be interested in you. Look into McKinsey, Bain, Boston Consulting Group, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Look into a top-ranked on-line MBA program which will give you the most flexibility as a resident. Particularly, the programs at Indiana, Carnegie Mellon and the University of North Carolina. (I'm familiar with the first two programs as an on-campus graduate student , but I was not an on-line student at either school.) Then, once you have the MD/MBA combo, a number of the top tier consulting firms would be interested in you. Look into McKinsey, Bain, Boston Consulting Group, etc.

How do online programs differ from in class programs in terms of usefulness? Does it matter that I'm on west coast? I heard MBA is all about networking.

You’re not going to get a degree in residency unless you take time off from residency, which is tough to do unless pre-arranged with the program. And “best” depends on what your end goal is. What do you want to do with this added degree?

Want to go into administration some day. Want to take leadership positions. I want to be a doctor who is well-versed in both clinical and business settings.

Want to go into administration some day. Want to take leadership positions. I want to be a doctor who is well-versed in both clinical and business settings.
Then pursue an MBA. After residency. There are several that cater toward healthcare/physicians. One example.

How do online programs differ from in class programs in terms of usefulness? Does it matter that I'm on west coast? I heard MBA is all about networking.

On-line vs on-campus MBA programs have equal usefulness if you focus upon programs generally ranked in the top 20. There is a correlation between the quality of the MBA program and it’s alumni network with Harvard and Stanford at the top.

Since you are on the west coast look into the on-line MBA program at the University of Southern California. It is a well regarded top 20 program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile