Law school after dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No offense, but I have very little respect for people who go into dentistry simply for the working hours and income potential. This means that you aren't there to improve the lives and health of their patients, and is a violation of the foundation of health care practitioning.

Now, there is no doubt that being a doctor or dentist can provide these things, and these absolutely should be taken into consideration when picking a career. But they should be viewed as perks not as the main motivation. I would never want to have a dentist who is a greedy lawyer and went into dentisry because they wanted more money. I would be scared of such a dentist.

I agree

Members don't see this ad.

So, what happened? We are all too curious. :rolleyes:
Oh, how funny. I haven't been in this forum for ... well, years. Obviously. ;) I remember living here around WREB time. :D

I'm still in dentistry, part-time. The past two years have gone VERY quickly ... wow. I love my current office but it's taken, well, these two years to get here. I will never own my own practice, but I will continue to associate for now. When it came down to it, I just couldn't bear the effort and stress of going back to another round of grad school. I was effing exhausted and had had enough, emotionally ... and well, monetarily. ;) I remember the phase I was in when I wrote this post - about to graduate and just desperate to find something I could be passionate about. I don't know what the future will bring. I can see myself going back to school eventually, but it wouldn't be a 3 year commitment like law. You know how it goes - hindsight's a bitch, right? :rolleyes:

Everyone that buys cereal in a bag says this but everyone knows that they would really rather eat Kellogs out of the box (which also has a bag).
Whatever you have to tell yourself is OK with me. We bag-cereal folks have learned not to step between you Kellogg's kids and your illusions. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, how funny. I haven't been in this forum for ... well, years. Obviously. ;) I remember living here around WREB time. :D

I'm still in dentistry, part-time. The past two years have gone VERY quickly ... wow. I love my current office but it's taken, well, these two years to get here. I will never own my own practice, but I will continue to associate for now. When it came down to it, I just couldn't bear the effort and stress of going back to another round of grad school. I was effing exhausted and had had enough, emotionally ... and well, monetarily. ;) I remember the phase I was in when I wrote this post - about to graduate and just desperate to find something I could be passionate about. I don't know what the future will bring. I can see myself going back to school eventually, but it wouldn't be a 3 year commitment like law. You know how it goes - hindsight's a bitch, right? :rolleyes:
Congratulations for sticking with it. :thumbup: I hope the future treats you well.

The question is, Dr. sjdent, cereal in a bag or box?

No offense, but I have very little respect for people who go into dentistry simply for the working hours and income potential. This means that you aren't there to improve the lives and health of their patients, and is a violation of the foundation of health care practitioning.

Now, there is no doubt that being a doctor or dentist can provide these things, and these absolutely should be taken into consideration when picking a career. But they should be viewed as perks not as the main motivation. I would never want to have a dentist who is a greedy lawyer and went into dentisry because they wanted more money. I would be scared of such a dentist.

Typical response of an idealist. Money as a reason to go to dentistry is just as valid as any other reason. Just because someone does something for money, does not mean that they will do a terrible job. In fact, I may even do a better job than you because I want my patients to come back, get more services done and tell their friends about how great my services are. My motivation has nothing to do with the outcome.

Whatever you have to tell yourself is OK with me. We bag-cereal folks have learned not to step between you Kellogg's kids and your illusions. ;)

You say that now, but wait until your kids start asking you why you feed them crap.

You say that now, but wait until your kids start asking you why you feed them crap.
My kids are going to be so pissed off about not having a $500 cell phone or their own Mercedes, they won't have any energy left to care about cereal. That said, you're trying to twist the cereal thing from a metaphor about dental school into a literalism. Nice try, but no cigar.

Typical response of an idealist. Money as a reason to go to dentistry is just as valid as any other reason. Just because someone does something for money, does not mean that they will do a terrible job. In fact, I may even do a better job than you because I want my patients to come back, get more services done and tell their friends about how great my services are. My motivation has nothing to do with the outcome.

Great post because it's the truth without trying to be cute with sugar coating things. The other guy just needs to get off whatever moral high horse he rode in on.

A patient doesn't notice nor care if his/her dentist's motivation was their money or their well-being as long as #1 the problem was treated successfully and #2 the procedure was without unnecessary pain.

Great post because it's the truth without trying to be cute with sugar coating things. The other guy just needs to get off whatever moral high horse he rode in on.

A patient doesn't notice nor care if his/her dentist's motivation was their money or their well-being as long as #1 the problem was treated successfully and #2 the procedure was without unnecessary pain.

IF money is ur motivation to get into dentistry, then don't forget to mention about it at ur interview. no need to sugar coat k?

IF money is ur motivation to get into dentistry, then don't forget to mention about it at ur interview. no need to sugar coat k?

There's a difference between money being your chief motivation and money being one of your motivations. You can promote oral health and provide quality products while wanting to do well for yourself.

History is full of examples of doing well for yourself while providing quality service and work: making lots of money while providing low cost products and quality customer service...Amazon.com, Wal-Mart.

One of every dentists' primary concerns is how do I provide high quality care without charging more? What we learn in dental school is how to provide quality products, by learning about all the ways we can avoid mechanical failure and the ways of avoiding microleakage. Once we learn how to cut right, we move on to replicating that in a short amount of time.

Last edited:
My kids are going to be so pissed off about not having a $500 cell phone or their own Mercedes, they won't have any energy left to care about cereal. That said, you're trying to twist the cereal thing from a metaphor about dental school into a literalism. Nice try, but no cigar.

Most phones are around $300-500, pre-subsidy.

Once you've shopped around for a luxury vehicle (esp German and Swedish), you'll realize there's no other in terms of safety. Higher performance breaks mean the car stop faster, larger body mass means you remain safer during accidents,...etc. You may not want to spoil your kids, but you probably want to keep them safe. I'll let you deal with that dilemma in the years to come.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a difference between money being your chief motivation and money being one of your motivations. You can promote oral health and provide quality products while wanting to do well for yourself.

History is full of examples of doing well for yourself while providing quality service and work:

...making lots of money while providing low cost products and quality customer service...Amazon.com, Wal-Mart

well said
i am talking about the post posted by mdub who wants to change his career from law to dentistry because of how much dentists get paid

Once you've shopped around for a luxury vehicle (esp German and Swedish), you'll realize there's no other in terms of safety. Higher performance breaks mean the car stop faster, larger body mass means you remain safer during accidents,...etc. You may not want to spoil your kids, but you probably want to keep them safe. I'll let you deal with that dilemma in the years to come.

When the time comes, they will be walking.

You obviously didn't read my post thoroughly. I said that income and working hours should absolutely be taken into consideration. Money is a reward factor and motivates you to do a good job. But it shouldn't be the main reason you do what you do, because then you'll start doing unnecessary procedures and will just try to do as much appointments as possible without doing a clinically good job.

If your motivation has nothing to do with the outcome you do not belong in any health care profession.

All,

An earlier post posed an interesting fact. So if you were a "patient" or "consumer" and walked up to a dental office that said, Dr. John Smith, DMD, JD, PA. Would you walk in?

I don't know if anybody has seen an attorney dentist that practices and lists his/her jd along with the dds/dmd. From my perspective, if I got a referral from a dentist with a jd I would probably refuse the patient. This world is WAY too legal and litigious and just the remote thought that the patient could go back "for a consult" to a dentist who has a JD to "evaluate" my work, I would refuse.

It is possible that it could be a hinderance if you go into dental private practice dentistry with a JD? Certainly it would be a plus in a Law practice, but dental practice?

All,

An earlier post posed an interesting fact. So if you were a "patient" or "consumer" and walked up to a dental office that said, Dr. John Smith, DMD, JD, PA. Would you walk in?

I don't know if anybody has seen an attorney dentist that practices and lists his/her jd along with the dds/dmd. From my perspective, if I got a referral from a dentist with a jd I would probably refuse the patient. This world is WAY too legal and litigious and just the remote thought that the patient could go back "for a consult" to a dentist who has a JD to "evaluate" my work, I would refuse.

It is possible that it could be a hinderance if you go into dental private practice dentistry with a JD? Certainly it would be a plus in a Law practice, but dental practice?

That's like saying I should refuse a patient from my orthodontist who has their DDS, PhD, PA because the world is TOO research orientated. . . Lawyer logic?

You obviously didn't read my post thoroughly. I said that income and working hours should absolutely be taken into consideration. Money is a reward factor and motivates you to do a good job. But it shouldn't be the main reason you do what you do, because then you'll start doing unnecessary procedures and will just try to do as much appointments as possible without doing a clinically good job.

If your motivation has nothing to do with the outcome you do not belong in any health care profession.

Again, you make a few leaps of logic here. Just because money is a motivating factor, would I do unnecessary procedures that result in a lawsuit/liability? NO. In most aspects, "necessary" is a subjective term in dentistry (unless they have OKC's or other serious pathologies). Patient says, hey doc, I want some veneers done? I am not going to say, no, they are not necessary. Also, who says money-oriented individuals will not do a clinically good job. Again, customer satisfaction; if your work falls apart or causes pain, that is perhaps one of the most blatant signs (from patient perspective) of product failure and patient will know you did a horrible job. I think you may have a stereotype of associating money with greed and cutting corners to a point where everything just fails. Litigation is expensive, time consuming, and a money oriented individual will put that into context. Again, refer to my previous post of doing a great job (positive outcome) to attract more people and increase referrals. Regardless of motivation, outcomes can still be positive.

Sarcastic filler aside, no, money is not my sole motivation but it's a factor. I don't view it as a "reward" like one of the other posters mentioned but one of the justifications to pursue the field.

Coming from a business background I understand that to be financially successful one must provide a product that pleases the consumer. This logic can be applied to privatized medicine. In other words, if the patient is happy with a "money-driven" dentists work then this conversation doesn't matter at the end of the day.

Foreign cars are all better than domestic cars only in the same sense that Ivy League dental schools are all better than non-Ivies. ;)

If my kids get a full paid scholarship, they get a volvo. If not, they're walking.

Of course I'm only 22 and don't plan on having kids in the next 4 years, so my future life experiences might change this attitude of mine.

Foreign cars are all better than domestic cars only in the same sense that Ivy League dental schools are all better than non-Ivies. ;)

I dunno about the Ivy part, but my BMW's seen the auto shop fewer times than a Ford.

If any of you think your Fords are better than the Toyota's and BMW's...geez! I won't even say it.

Last edited:
I dunno about the Ivy part, but my BMW's seen the auto shop fewer times than a Ford.

If any of you think your Fords are better than the Toyota's and BMW's...geez! I won't even say it.

Agree. I'll be dead before my Honda dies.

First dental school, then cereal, now cars...when you're ready to settle on a topic for the discussion to focus on, just let me know and I'll rejoin it. Until then, happy hopscotching. ;)

Psh. My '98 taurus will always run like a piece of crap, but it will run forever. Plus it's so devalued I can crash it directly into a wall and not care.
another noteworthy comment why foreign beats america.

First dental school, then cereal, now cars...when you're ready to settle on a topic for the discussion to focus on, just let me know and I'll rejoin it. Until then, happy hopscotching. ;)

+1 :laugh:

I'm sure we can still throw an IKEA furniture analogy in here somewhere.

another noteworthy comment why foreign beats america.

Buy an '09 BMW M6, try selling it in a year, then lets talk about depreciation!

Buy an '09 BMW M6, try selling it in a year, then lets talk about depreciation!
In a relative percent to an american car? You will loose your but buying an escalade worse than most foreign cars. How about a subaru. Look up the depreciation costs with those :thumbup:.

In a relative percent to an american car? You will loose your but buying an escalade worse than most foreign cars. How about a subaru. Look up the depreciation costs with those :thumbup:.

I heard top-end BMW's depreciate so much because the niche market they're going to doesn't make price much of a priority or concern. Those people would rather shell out the coin for the newest/cleanest ride. Also, I believe Subaru is foreign (Japanese).

No need to rejoin. You think American cars are better than the Japanese and German. I don't value your opinion on anything anymore. The Ivy/State argument was plausible but not this.

I heard top-end BMW's depreciate so much because the niche market they're going to doesn't make price much of a priority or concern. Those people would rather shell out the coin for the newest/cleanest ride. Also, I believe Subaru is foreign (Japanese).

Every high end car depreciates relatively quickly the first year. The richer people who can afford them strongly prefer new cars, so it's harder to sell used high end cars. The first year depreciation on exotic sports cars are astronomical. A Ferrari loses 100k value in just a few years.

Deleted by poster

Last edited:
No need to rejoin. You think American cars are better than the Japanese and German. I don't value your opinion on anything anymore. The Ivy/State argument was plausible but not this.
That's not what I said either. You seem to be having a very difficult time parsing ideas that aren't constructed in binary absolutes. Is that a common trait among the intellectually superior students attending elite Ivy League dental schools?

regarding sjdent's post:
how anticlimatic.

disappointing.

Exactly, subaru retain their value better than most american cars. Compare the very few elite sports cars produced by americans and they depreciate significantly. you continue to continue apples to oranges.

"Another dynamic continues to be the predicted reliability of a vehicle which also usually appears to be a Japanese advantage. American vehicles have made great strides in this area but they have had a tough time breaking the image that American cars lack longevity."

http://www.quickcashauto.com/Car-Facts/Depreciation-American-Vs-Foreign.html

you want reliability- go foreign
you want [SIZE=-1]longevity - go foreign
want less decpreciation (usually) - go foreign
[/SIZE]

That's not what I said either. You seem to be having a very difficult time parsing ideas that aren't constructed in binary absolutes. Is that a common trait among the intellectually superior students attending elite Ivy League dental schools?

Don't even. You're the one doing absolutes in this thread, chico. You and Armor tend to distort arguments. That's the primary technique you two employ. And no, Ivy League dental schools don't have intellectually superior students. Dental schools, generally, don't have them. I'm no exception.

I don't attend an Ivy League dental school. I attend one of those State schools.

Last edited:
Don't even. You're the one doing absolutes in this thread, chico. You and Armor tend to distort arguments. That's the primary technique you two employ.
I don't distort arguments. All I do is remind people of what they've previously said, at moments and in ways that work to my advantage, chico.

And no, Ivy League dental schools don't have intellectually superior students.
After all that, I'm glad to learn we agree on this, though it leaves me scratching my head about the old signature of yours that touched this whole sequence off.

I don't attend an Ivy League dental school. I attend one of those State schools.
Bag cereal 4 life. ;)

Last edited:
I don't distort arguments. All I do is remind people of what they've previously said, at moments and in ways that work to my advantage, chico.

No see, you just aren't of the mental capacity to even understand what he's saying, let alone respond to it properly, same as me. I'm glad dentstd has identified another like myself, perhaps we can start a support group for those out there who share our malady?

lolwut.jpg

No see, you just aren't of the mental capacity to even understand what he's saying, let alone respond to it properly, same as me. I'm glad dentstd has identified another like myself, perhaps we can start a support group for those out there who share our malady?

I'm glad we see eye to eye on something, finally.

After all that, I'm glad to learn we agree on this, though it leaves me scratching my head about the old signature of yours that touched this whole sequence off.

Bag cereal 4 life. ;)

Signature's a parody. Nothing more. Not my own feelings on the matter.

Dentistry isn't hard. The DAT doesn't screen for top students, because it's too easy an exam to do that. And you don't need to go to the most prestigious school to learn how to cut a tooth.

I cant resist to weigh in on this entirely tangential subject. If by Japanese cars being superior to domestic cars you mean Honda and Toyota, no argument there. The Japanese make some dang fine cars.

If by German cars I suppose you mean BMW and Mercedes. Well, BMWs are average/above average and Mercedes are complete garbage. Fact is American cars are actually pretty solid good cars.

source: Consumer Reports 2009 Cars Ratings and Pricing Guide

Signature's a parody. Nothing more. Not my own feelings on the matter.

Dentistry isn't hard. The DAT doesn't screen for top students, because it's too easy an exam to do that. And you don't need to go to the most prestigious school to learn how to cut a tooth.

This guy is awesome.

I cant resist to weigh in on this entirely tangential subject. If by Japanese cars being superior to domestic cars you mean Honda and Toyota, no argument there. The Japanese make some dang fine cars.

If by German cars I suppose you mean BMW and Mercedes. Well, BMWs are average/above average and Mercedes are complete garbage. Fact is American cars are actually pretty solid good cars.

source: Consumer Reports 2009 Cars Ratings and Pricing Guide

Mercedes suck. Period. Bad management. Too many model lines. Low reliability. Nissan's aren't that great either.

I'm sure there are some good American cars. I'd still buy a Mustang, even thou it's made by Ford. And of course, you can't consider Jaguars just because Ford bought them.