Law to protect people from anti-gay therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interesting post.

I'd be willing to take all the LGBT clients off her hands and pass the religious bigots back to her. :smuggrin:

Anyone who can't serve someone with different ethical standards shouldn't be in any mental health profession. I have a client at my agency with 93 larceny convictions. Not a typo. 93. I have a sex offender on my caseload. Racists. Child abusers. So on and so on. And this woman can't help a harmless gay?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone who can't serve someone with different ethical standards shouldn't be in any mental health profession. I have a client at my agency with 93 larceny convictions. Not a typo. 93. I have a sex offender on my caseload. Racists. Child abusers. So on and so on. And this woman can't help a harmless gay?

I'm really torn about this because on the one hand I agree with you, and on the other hand, if her antipathy is so strong that she's willing to jeopardize her standing with her program, I doubt she'd be able to provide appropriate care for that population.

if her antipathy is so strong that she's willing to jeopardize her standing with her program, I doubt she'd be able to provide appropriate care for that population.

Which is basically saying that she shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I'd like to see this happen at Hunter. We would end up having a public Booting of the Bigot with soy-based hippiesnacks and some kind of drum circle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which is basically saying that she shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Yeah. Showing my own biases here, but I usually assume that the folks who come to sdn sniffing around for referrals for a good "religiously-based" doc program are seeking a warm, welcoming environment in which to practice discrimination against sexual minorities. Not sure why she wouldn't have sought one of those schools out.

I'd like to see this happen at Hunter. We would end up having a public Booting of the Bigot with soy-based hippiesnacks and some kind of drum circle.

:rofl:

I dunno, Qwerk, more and more I'm thinking I blew it by not going to Hunter!

I usually assume that the folks who come to sdn sniffing around for referrals for a good "religiously-based" doc program are seeking a warm, welcoming environment in which to practice discrimination against sexual minorities. Not sure why she wouldn't have sought one of those schools out.

Seems weird, doesn't it? I mean, the mental health professions in general (maybe with the exception of addiction recovery) tend to lean left. If you want a program where refusing to work with a large swath of the population is acceptable, you have to specifically seek one out. It's like going to Burning Man and demanding that they shield you from all the nude people.