Laws relating to flying with teeth across state lines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatisit350

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to collect teeth, and am home for the Christmas break. Home for me is in Texas, and school is in Florida. There are a few dentists that I can collect teeth from while I'm here. I was just wondering if there were any laws against flying with teeth? Or flying with teeth across state lines?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting to collect teeth, and am home for the Christmas break. Home for me is in Texas, and school is in Florida. There are a few dentists that I can collect teeth from while I'm here. I was just wondering if there were any laws against flying with teeth? Or flying with teeth across state lines?

Call the TSA information line and ask them directly. They would be able to tell you what is allowed and if so what the packing requirements are.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you are worried about nothing.

HOWEVER, here is my suggestion...
1. Pack the teeth in a checked bag. Do not pack them in a carry-on bag subject to x-ray.
2. Make sure the teeth at pakaged in a clearly marked box/jar/can labled with your name and your school address.
3. Attach a memo as to the educational reasons for the teeth with your school information and a photocopy of your school ID attached.

Good Luck with it.

PS
Option #2 send the teeth via US mail.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Call the TSA information line and ask them directly. They would be able to tell you what is allowed and if so what the packing requirements are.

Not a bad idea at all. Especially if I remain anonymous :D

Reactions: 1 user

1. Pack the teeth in a checked bag. Do not pack them in a carry-on bag subject to x-ray.
2. Make sure the teeth at pakaged in a clearly marked box/jar/can labled with your name and your school address.
3. Attach a memo as to the educational reasons for the teeth with your school information and a photocopy of your school ID attached.

Good Luck with it.

PS

Also some really great advice. "Better to ask for forgiveness, than permission." right? lol.

And I am starting to really like the US mail option.

Not a bad idea at all. Especially if I remain anonymous :D
Lol, they won’t ask for your name. I’ve called them a few times regarding transporting things and they’re helpful. Better to find out ahead of time rather than get a bag search and a fine or something imo

If it makes you feel any better, I flew with a real human skull (not plastic) in my check-in bag first year so I could study during an ASDA conference and nobody said anything. It wasn’t until years after that I even thought it could have been a problem.

Good Luck with it.

PS

This is exactly what I did and I had no issues.

Which schools require that you collect teeth? What about Kentucky or UCLA?

If it makes you feel any better, I flew with a real human skull (not plastic) in my check-in bag first year so I could study during an ASDA conference and nobody said anything. It wasn’t until years after that I even thought it could have been a problem.

Lmao! you definitely take the cake with that one. Just curious tho, how many years ago was that? Basically, was that before or after the TSA started cracking down pretty hard?

This is exactly what I did and I had no issues.

Sweet. Well, I shadowed an Oral Surgeon today and left with a jar of teeth. lol, so these teeth are about to cross a state line one way or another.

Lmao! you definitely take the cake with that one. Just curious tho, how many years ago was that? Basically, was that before or after the TSA started cracking down pretty hard?
Oh man. I’m not THAT old. It wasn’t pre 9/11 if that’s what you are asking. It was only 5 or so years ago. I’m a recent grad from 2017 so we are talking fairly recent.

Oh man. I’m not THAT old. It wasn’t pre 9/11 if that’s what you are asking. It was only 5 or so years ago. I’m a recent grad from 2017 so we are talking fairly recent.

hahah I didn't know! My bad, but yea, that's what I was asking. Well, that makes me feel a LOT better about my jar of teeth lol. Can you just imagine the look on the TSA guy's face when he's going through his normal, everyday bag check routine, and then BAM!! He/she sees the remains of somebody's head... lolol good story

Got this from my school. This should help!
  • Before you fly: Soak the extracted teeth for at least one week in formalin.
  • When you’re packing for your flight: Wrap the extracted teeth in a damp paper towel and place them in a zip-lock baggie. This will pass TSA guidelines at the airport. It is usually less of a hassle to pack them in check-in luggage.
  • When you arrive transfer the teeth to another jar of formalin (which you can purchase from your dental school).