Lawsuits in EMS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillowsnice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I volunteer as an EMT and am wondering if EMTs who became med students were ever sued from a prior patient interaction as an EMT. Would this be cause for expulsion from the med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol EMTs/EMS organizations/fire halls get sued all the time. There are many physician specialties where you could even say most physicians get sued as well. Schools know thi.

There's a story here, isn't there.

A very juicy story too, huh.

Lol its not that juicy. It was a kinda gray area situation where we didn't know how to proceed with a agitated patient. If you want to know, you can PM me and I'll explain more.

There's a difference between being sued and being sued with a high chance of conviction. I could sue you for anything I want. That doesn't mean I have even a remote chance of winning. There's also a difference between being sued in a civil court and being prosecuted in a criminal court. In other words, a med school will probably care if you're convicted of malpractice or patient abandonment or something like that. There's no one-size-fits-all here.

Reactions: 1 user
I volunteer as an EMT and am wondering if EMTs who became med students were ever sued from a prior patient interaction as an EMT. Would this be cause for expulsion from the med school?
Statue of limitations.

Reactions: 1 user
Statue of limitations.

statue_of_limitations_by_frostglade-d4o6d5j.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
It's also true that volunteers are given more leeway in terms of negligence right? I've heard that as long as it's not gross negligence, that state will cover us.

It's also true that volunteers are given more leeway in terms of negligence right? I've heard that as long as it's not gross negligence, that state will cover us.

In the state where my undergrad was, I'm pretty sure EMTs are EMTs in the eyes of the law. There's no distinction between volunteer EMTs and paid EMTs because both have the same scope of practice.