Lawyer to Doctor, what are my chances (stats included)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneMG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First of all, wrong forum.

Second of all, that's amazing that you got a full ride to law school.

Third of all, you have an amazing app and I'm jealous.

Fourth of all, isn't law school 2 years?

Reactions: 1 user
First of all, wrong forum.

Second of all, that's amazing that you got a full ride to law school.

Third of all, you have an amazing app and I'm jealous.

Fourth of all, isn't law school 2 years?

3 yrs

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am new here. I will try to keep this brief but detailed:
I am currently 30. Apply for fall 2017 when I’ll be 31.

Had a full scholarship all 3 years of law school (no loans), third-tier, cum laude (top 15%), was on law review 2 years (scholarly journal all schools have that show employers individual is capable of working hard while in school), directed research under a professor (non-medical related) for 1 year. I have no loans. I have no legal experience and worked in import and exports on my own small business since law school. Never applied to law jobs. Passed bar on first attempt. Always knew I wanted to go to medical school so I kept the GPA up (higher than necessary for law or business school) but was scared by the science classes when I was younger and avoided them by going to law school on full scholarship but finished them now and know this is really what I want. My little brother is a doctor (MD), he went to medical school around the time I finished law school passed the bar (right after law school) and was working in imports and exports, and I’ve shadowed and volunteered at hospitals so I know I want to spend the next decade becoming a doctor and work as a doctor for the rest of my life. I’ll be 39-41 when I finish residency if I get in next fall 2017.

Bachelors: Business Admin.

Undergrad GPA 3.8

Science/Math/Stats GPA: 3.75 (one C in a statistics class, my only UG C, way back when, a B in another stats class, with my last stats class being an A, one B in premed prereqs in O. Chem from recently when I took premed requirements from 27-29 years old). Took all premed prereqs at community college age 27-29.

MCAT: 515/93% percentile

~1 year volunteering at a hospital.

2 years clinical research from age 28-30 unpaid, one position throughout, no publication.

2 years law school research on law review. 1 year directed research in law school. Both non-medical related.

100 hours shadowing 2x MDs (total together 100 hours)

Volunteered at a soup kitchen for 6 months.

4 strong letters of rec from science professors in community college

1 strong letter of rec from PhD from my clinical research

Where is my application weak if I were to take another gap year and address the weak area? Should I take another gap year?

What are my chances of getting into an Allopathic (MD) program now, either in California or in the United States?

Thank you in advance.

You can certainly get into a US MD program with those stats (congrats). As for CA - that's a toss up - definitely apply but don't bank on it.

Hello,

Had a full scholarship all 3 years of law school (no loans), third-tier, cum laude (top 15%), was on law review 2 years (scholarly journal all schools have that show employers individual is capable of working hard while in school), directed research under a professor (non-medical related) for 1 year. I have no loans. I have no legal experience and worked in import and exports on my own small business since law school. Never applied to law jobs. Passed bar on first attempt. Always knew I wanted to go to medical school so I kept the GPA up (higher than necessary for law or business school) but was scared by the science classes when I was younger and avoided them by going to law school on full scholarship but finished them now and know this is really what I want. My little brother is a doctor (MD), he went to medical school around the time I finished law school passed the bar (right after law school) and was working in imports and exports, and I’ve shadowed and volunteered at hospitals so I know I want to spend the next decade becoming a doctor and work as a doctor for the rest of my life. I’ll be 39-41 when I finish residency if I get in next fall 2017.

Bachelors: Business Admin.

Undergrad GPA 3.8

Science/Math/Stats GPA: 3.75 (one C in a statistics class, my only UG C, way back when, a B in another stats class, with my last stats class being an A, one B in premed prereqs in O. Chem from recently when I took premed requirements from 27-29 years old). Took all premed prereqs at community college age 27-29.

MCAT: 515/93% percentile

~1 year volunteering at a hospital.

2 years clinical research from age 28-30 unpaid, one position throughout, no publication.

2 years law school research on law review. 1 year directed research in law school. Both non-medical related.

100 hours shadowing 2x MDs (total together 100 hours)

Volunteered at a soup kitchen for 6 months.

4 strong letters of rec from science professors in community college

1 strong letter of rec from PhD from my clinical research

Where is my application weak if I were to take another gap year and address the weak area? Should I take another gap year?

What are my chances of getting into an Allopathic (MD) program now, either in California or in the United States?

Thank you in advance.

I don't think you need another gap year. I would apply broadly (purchase the msar to determine what that means) and you'll have a great chance of admission.

Large dogs

Last edited:
CA is one of the most unlucky states for applying to med school but with your app you may stand a chance, apply broadly you'll be fine.

Thank you guys, I was worried the law school my hinder my chances, or my age, will they? Am I okay? I will come up with a way to make it positive but how will law school and age be viewed?

Honestly all of your experiences will only help being a lawyer will not hurt in anyway, your age, not an issue, you're fine. Just apply doc ;)

Thank you guys, I was worried the law school my hinder my chances, or my age, will they? Am I okay? I will come up with a way to make it positive but how will law school and age be viewed?

Btw, I reposted here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/3-75-cgpa-3-8-sgpa-515-mcat-lawyer-to-doctor.1198782/

I just realized wrong forum but I couldn't delete and now I'm sure I just made a big mess. I home the threads can be combined somehow. Sorry about that, thanks is advance.

If you have a compelling reason for "why medicine" beyond "damn law sucks" or "damn the law job market sucks", I would be very surprised if you weren't accepted somewhere if you apply appropriately

Reactions: 1 users
People have definitely done it before, so I wouldn't be too worried. I would definitely use all that experience you got in law school for framing things positively to show that you are a better future doctor for having all of your experiences and that you will pursue medicine as a career. I think you will be fine, because people go into law school with such a wide array of motives, and med school's motives are slightly less varied (meaning that most people want to pursue a residency, at least). Solid app all around. California is a bummer. Top applicants (Harvard, Hopkins, WashU, etc) /matriculants sometimes don't get into CA schools. Your age won't affect you. It will likely help you. I am only a few years younger than you and I'm only wrapping up my first year. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Btw, I reposted here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/3-75-cgpa-3-8-sgpa-515-mcat-lawyer-to-doctor.1198782/

I just realized wrong forum but I couldn't delete and now I'm sure I just made a big mess. I home the threads can be combined somehow. Sorry about that, thanks is advance.

Your age would only be an issue if you were going MD/PhD

Age really isn't an issue. I with a law degree you bring something interesting to the table. Especially be able to apply it to medicine i.e. Advocacy, policy. I think it's great. Don't come off though as "oh well I guess I'll try medicine now"

Your age would only be an issue if you were going MD/PhD

I personally don't think 30 is particularly old even for that from a practical standpoint, but I can't comment on whether admissions would consider it as a potential negative, never strongly considered md/PhD and don't have much insight there

Members don't see this ad :)
Great, and my small business in the interim? I needed to work and I consider EMT, that's what my little brother did and he's a doctor now (MD), but I wouldn't have made enough money as an EMT and it would have took me longer (with the added education for cert and working full time), so I didn't pursue it. It would have taken to long. My work was flexible with my schedule and I was able to study as much as I needed, but it was non-medical related. Will that hurt?

It won't inherently hurt. You should be able to explain your story eloquently and persuasively. Where do your interests in medicine come from? How have you investigated and solidified those interests? What led you to law? What led you from law to entrepreneurship? Why now medicine? You just have to craft your story in a genuine way

Thank you. I don't want a PhD or any joint programs. I would have went to medical school earlier if I could have overcome my (unfounded) fear of the sciences earlier. It may have been for the better though since now I am focused 100%. I want to be a doctor.
Having had your own business is going to be one of the highlights of your application. A lot of kids come straight through at 22 and they want people with real-life perspective.

I personally don't think 30 is particularly old even for that from a practical standpoint, but I can't comment on whether admissions would consider it as a potential negative, never strongly considered md/PhD and don't have much insight there

I don't think 30 is that old but when you consider that on avg it takes 15 yrs to complete the training path - it gets to be a bit of a logistical issue. Though who am I to complain, I was 26 when I started so I'll be an 'old fart' by the time I finish lol.

Thank you. I don't want a PhD or any joint programs. I would have went to medical school earlier if I could have overcome my (unfounded) fear of the sciences earlier. It may have been for the better though since now I am focused 100%. I want to be a doctor.

Then you should be fine. Also it's better to be ready now than never - and I'd say the time away has given you some interesting life experiences that would make you an interesting candidate. I'd imagine you can ask someone like @Law2Doc what the transition was like.

I don't think 30 is that old but when you consider that on avg it takes 15 yrs to complete the training path - it gets to be a bit of a logistical issue. Though who am I to complain, I was 26 when I started so I'll be an 'old fart' by the time I finish lol.

Then you should be fine. Also it's better to be ready now than never - and I'd say the time away has given you some interesting life experiences that would make you an interesting candidate. I'd imagine you can ask someone like @Law2Doc what the transition was like.

Thanks

Last edited:

It would be better if this thread was on the nontrad board rather than WAMC because there are a bunch of former lawyers on SDN who won't find it here. There are also lots of lawyer threads on there that might be worth OP searching.

1. Age is not a big issue. There are lots of people in med school in their 30s and 40s. I wouldn't plan on neurosurgery but otherwise it's fine.

2. The biggest issue OP will face is not having ended up using his law degree. He will face the question that he wanted to be a lawyer but hit a bad job market and that is why he is now applying to med school. Med schools really don't want other fields washouts, so there had better be a much better reason than -- couldn't get a job in law. The back story and "why medicine" will be everything here. And as a nontrad with prior graduate education you will be expected to be much better thought out than the kid right out of college. You can't say "I want to help people" and you can't put much weight in having a sibling in medicine. What draws you to being a doctor? And it better not be being unhappy with your prospects as a lawyer (although the more skeptical are going to read between the lines and go there).

3. Community college -- may have been what you could afford at the time but will close some doors. Plan to apply widely and broadly.

4. California is a tough nut to crack. Probably not going to happen. I probably would be much more flexible and prepared to move to wherever if this is really the dream.

5. "Import-export" is the vague kind of job George Costanza made up when he was unemployed, and that's what it sounds like. Drugs, guns, are also "import export" businesses. You probably need a more defined job title that doesn't sound so sketchy -- to flesh out exactly what you are doing so it doesn't sound like you are borderline unemployed -- if you are importing textiles, at least say you are a "textile importer" etc.

Having had your own business is going to be one of the highlights of your application. A lot of kids come straight through at 22 and they want people with real-life perspective.
You can spin it towards how running a business can help you in the future in regards to medicine.

Yes and no. If it sounds like you went into "import-export" only because law didn't pan out and now you are looking to medicine because the business thing isn't panning out, that will not translate to "real life perspective" as much as flailing. So you have to carefully spin this the right way. There needs to be an obvious trajectory or career progression and some draw to medicine that doesn't paint all your prior steps as missteps.

Agree 100% with everything the wise Law2doc wrote, but want to add that I think you'll be better served with a gap year boning up the clinical and non-clinical ECs. Your stats are sound, but you have very cookie cutter Ecs. You'll be better served showing off your altruism and humanism, and this will allay worries that you're merely running away from Law, and not to Medicine.

CA schools are competitive, except for the Carib-like CNU, for which you can do better. If you're boning to stay in CA, there's always Western and Touro-CA.

Some of my all-time best students have been in their 30s and 40s.

Hello,