Laying in bed for 3 months

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RapplixGmed

Looking for the Ether
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So apparently NASA is conducting a study that will pay people $17,000 to lay in bed for 3 months. The bed will also be tilted slightly so more blood goes to the head. The test will study the effects of microgravity.

My question is... is such a study ethical?? We already know about the effects of microgravity on muscle and bone atrophy. You're also exposing the person to a lot of other problems including bed sores, and possible psychiatric, cardiovascular, and neurologic problems... not to mention a killer case of boredom... just to find out something we already seem to know.

Plus, 17,000 is really cheap compared to the cost of medical and physical therapy you'll need after you get out of bed...

Members don't see this ad.

So apparently NASA is conducting a study that will pay people $17,000 to lay in bed for 3 months. The bed will also be tilted slightly so more blood goes to the head. The test will study the effects of microgravity.

My question is... is such a study ethical?? We already know about the effects of microgravity on muscle and bone atrophy. You're also exposing the person to a lot of other problems including bed sores, and possible psychiatric, cardiovascular, and neurologic problems... not to mention a killer case of boredom... just to find out something we already seem to know.

Plus, 17,000 is really cheap compared to the cost of medical and physical therapy you'll need after you get out of bed...

Who says you can't mvoe around while laying in bed? That would solve the issues of bed sores. Also, there are plenty of exercises you can do while laying down, so why would you need physical therapy? I knew a girl who was in a terrible car accident and was bed-ridden for probably about two months; no physical therapy needed there, just a few days to readjust.

Plus, $17,000 for three months is more than I get paid in the same amount of time. Sign me up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sign me up NOW!!! So it can be right before school too. I could tell my boss to kiss my ***

My question is... is such a study ethical??

Presumablly, the study has been reviewed by an independent committee of scientists and lay people and a consent form that lays out the risks has been prepared. Questions about meals, acceptable activities, privacy, toileting, etc should be answered by the investigators before the volunteer signs the consent form.

The study is not ethical unless the benefits (to society or the scientific community) outweigh the potential risks. In addition, the risks must be minimized as much as possible. Monitoring of the participants' physicial and mental health must be provided and arrangements must be described to treat injuries that occur as a result of the study procedures. The payment to subjects must be reasonable given what is being asked of them. The payment should be prorated so that participants who feel that they can not continue do not feel that they must continue to get any financial compensation for participation. This might mean that participants get a flat $100/day with a bonus for sticking it out the full 90 days.

If you really want to make bank get yourself signed up for some Phase I drug trials!

haha when i first saw the title of this thread, i thought it was going to be about how to spend your last summer before med school

If you really want to make bank get yourself signed up for some Phase I drug trials!

Just don't wind up in ICU or dead as has happened to some volunteers, may they rest in peace.

And as for making $200 for the weekend, the pro-rated payment is just for the amount of time you participate. Once you drop out, you are out of the study & can't come back.

There are, however, studies that pay $100 day for one or two days overnight.

Can I play GTA 4 while laying?

If so, then where is the sign up?

If you sign up, better not tell your friends, or they might be inviting you to go out and have fun every day just to mess with you.

sorry folks, but due to the over supply, it's only $8500 for three months in bed now. you can still do it under or over a blanket, of course.:eek:

Just don't wind up in ICU or dead as has happened to some volunteers, may they rest in peace.

And as for making $200 for the weekend, the pro-rated payment is just for the amount of time you participate. Once you drop out, you are out of the study & can't come back.

There are, however, studies that pay $100 day for one or two days overnight.

haha, exactly the point I was trying to make. Sometimes sarcasm doesn't come through very well on a message board.

Wow, that would be incredibly boring. It would take a lot more than 15k to pay me to be bored for 3 months.

Who says you can't mvoe around while laying in bed? That would solve the issues of bed sores. Also, there are plenty of exercises you can do while laying down, so why would you need physical therapy? I knew a girl who was in a terrible car accident and was bed-ridden for probably about two months; no physical therapy needed there, just a few days to readjust.

Plus, $17,000 for three months is more than I get paid in the same amount of time. Sign me up.

Sure exercises would help but since its a test, i'm sure theres a control group of people that they'd try to minimize the physical motion to see what effect whatever they are testing will do or something similar.

However, I guess you could have an "exercising control too" where you have both groups exercise in bed and then you test your whatever one one group rather than having both of them being limp and testing...

The bigger question is... how would one shower?

Sure exercises would help but since its a test, i'm sure theres a control group of people that they'd try to minimize the physical motion to see what effect whatever they are testing will do or something similar.

However, I guess you could have an "exercising control too" where you have both groups exercise in bed and then you test your whatever one one group rather than having both of them being limp and testing...

The bigger question is... how would one shower?

Oh holly hell I didn't even think about this. That's reason enough to count me out of it.

i'm sure it's not unethical if they have IRB funding ...seriously. they are just testing orthostatic intolerance and i don't think the people will develop bed sores etc b/c they are trying to simulate what happens when you go to space. when astronauts return from space travel, they are often bedridden for weeks b/c of muscle wasting etc and overcome it and NASA is just using the more financial feasible way to test solutions for it rather than sending dozens of people up to space which is not that safe and costs a ton just to test something. and since you don't just lie around in space doing nothing all day...my guess is that they'll probably have activities for them to do (ie to keep the mind sharp, etc) but just have them on the elevated bed at some angle to mimic the conditions.