Laziness before an exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmatt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know whats wrong with me, or if anyone else goes through this. But, I get extremely lazy, in terms of studying, when the exam is one to two days away.

I usually maintain a knowledge of whats going on in the class, but don't start studying until about a week before the exam. Usually, within the first 2-3 days of this process, I study well and feel motivated. Then, I reach a comfort zone, and start to slack off. About one to two days before the exam, I look over the material, telling myself I know it, and can't really force myself to sit down and continue to study.

These habits are most common for me in classes like physics. While I know the equations, concepts, etc, I can't bring myself to do practice problems out of the book a night or two before the exam. I usually end up getting a B on the exams, knowing that if I studied the last two days or so, I could have gotten higher.

Does anyone know what I mean, or experienced something similar?

Members don't see this ad.

sounds like you're burning out.

Why don't you try doing practice problems throughout, and then start reviewing 2-3 days before exam rather than 1 week?

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, I'm going through the EXACT same thing right this second haha. I have a chem exam on thursday that I have only marginally studied for and could really use some studying right now. There is a 5 episode string of CSI on cable atm though and that usually distracts me pretty well!

Same here... I have a paper due on friday, CALC and CHEM finals next week and.... WTH am I doing on SDN?

*runs*

Ok that's a bad habbit. if you don't kill it now it will kill you. if you fell that studying early will make you bored later then don't start until the last couple of days stay fresh before that and give it your best on those two days.
at least that's how i do it.

Well...if that's the way you usually are, then that's not a good thing.

If this is your behavior over the last two weeks, then you're just anxious to get the semester over with. Typical.

that has been happening to me this semester too! I get lazy and never really get that nervous feeling the day before the exam. I have still managed to wing A's, but this last time around I really did study and to get over the feeling of apathy I would get out and go for a run or listen to some music, just get away for a bit to refresh yourself or try studying with someone else who will keep you on track. Good luck! It is good advice to "Kill it now"!!! Imagine what that would do to you in med school!!

i'm in the same boat you are! except you've at least started studying early and have something done, i just started studying for my chem lab exam tomorrow! i have chem and physics on thursday too!

Same here... I have a paper due on friday, CALC and CHEM finals next week and.... WTH am I doing on SDN?

*runs*

calc and chem? those are the easiest classes ive ever taken. i'm talking calc 3 too, SO EASY. if it's general chem, THEN WOW that's even easier. and then you have a paper...

good job...i have 5 finals, a paper and presentation due next week. 4 of the 5 are upper bio classes. stop whining. you sound like a freshman and freshman year you dont do anything.