lazy summers ~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imperator

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it bad for when I apply to med schools that I don't do **** during the summer? In the fall I'm starting my sophomore year of college. I have around a 3.75 gpa and am also signed up for an EMT class. The thing is, during the summer I really like to just catch up with my friends, read books, do a little work, and smoke a lot of weed. I haven't had any jobs/research/internships this summer or last. Will med schools be chill with that?

Members don't see this ad.

Try heroin. It makes the summers last longer.

The short answer to your question is no. Med schools like to see research, medically-related work or volunteer work, or something. Granted, you could do this during the year but med schools will still want to see that you did something with your summer, even if it's just waiting tables. You don't have to do research or whatever the whole entire summer; just make it look like you're doing something, and they'll probably be satisfied.

Members don't see this ad :)
it doesn't really matter if you do nothing for a summer. in fact, i recommend relaxing after your freshman year.

however, after that, you should at least be doing something (taking classes or research)

I only took classes, volunteered, and did research during the school year, but I worked full-time during the summers. You can get away with not doing something related to medicine, but you have to do something during the summer.

The only lazy summer that med schools will be "chill" with is the one right before you start med school. In fact, it's highly recommended that you relax then. :D

I would think about taking your EMT class in the summer...... it takes a lot more time than you probably think. You have to get in a lot of clinical hours. Its a great experience but time consuming, especially with other classes.