MSW Lcsw to psychiatrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfoNerd101

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see so many people leaving the field to either want to become psychiatrists or mental health nurses.. Why is that? If you're already in the field and your job as a social worker is just as vital as everyone elseselse's, then why leave?

Members don't see this ad.

The answer to that question will most likely vary from individual to individual. Maybe they just wanted a change of pace. Maybe they wanted to go back to school. Maybe they became disenchanted with the field. Maybe social work was the wrong profession for them from the beginning. Maybe they saw a need (e.g., lack of medically trained mental health professionals in their area). Maybe they decided psychopharmacology suddenly tickled their fancy... it's really anyone's guess. I don't think them leaving has anything to do with them feeling as though their services are no longer required. Who knows.

Reactions: 1 user
I see so many people leaving the field to either want to become psychiatrists or mental health nurses.. Why is that? If you're already in the field and your job as a social worker is just as vital as everyone elseselse's, then why leave?

Can I ask you a question? Why do you keep asking this board why we want to be social workers? You've asked this same question, in reference to money. Paraphrasing, "Why would you want to be social workers if you don't make a lot of money?" With all these similar questions being asked repeatedly, I'm starting to wonder if there is some agenda?

Also, there is a ton of career switching and burnout with multiple fields. Nurses burnout and leave their own field. Like wesley said, it's anyone's guess why people are leaving ANY field. Or rather, you could look up research and find out what causes burnout in say, nursing vs. social work?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, there is a ton of career switching and burnout with multiple fields. Nurses burnout and leave their own field. Like wesley said, it's anyone's guess why people are leaving ANY field. Or rather, you could look up research and find out what causes burnout in say, nursing vs. social work?
This is the far more effective approach.

This is a loaded question. Of course it depends on the person, but most likely because someone want to become doctors (MD) or nurses (NP or RN) that they will end of doing something very different than social work.

I also agree with the previous posters that you may want to question your motivations to post pointed questions and what knowledge you may hope to gain.

Best,

Eco

Maybe they decided to become a psychiatrist because they wanted to make 5x the salary. Just because it is a vital field doesn't mean that you will get paid as much. That's just the way the world works. :cool:

Maybe they decided to become a psychiatrist because they wanted to make 5x the salary. Just because it is a vital field doesn't mean that you will get paid as much. That's just the way the world works. :cool:

Pay, job security, and job demand are powerful forces.