lcsw vs high school teacher?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

Healthcare102

Which of these would you rather be and or which would you recommend?

I graduated with an undergrad in teaching (high school social studies) and long story short realized this is not what I want to do.

All my life I've been interested in society and people and making a difference in peoples lives and counseling/ educating people. I assumed translated to the idea that I should be a teacher. When I student taught I was bored out of my mind. I felt teaching kids history that many of them won't use was not rewarding or interesting.

During teaching however I realized that I loved the one on one with students, listening to their stories and trying to help them and offer advice. I'm still "educating" but in a different sense. It wasnt until after that, that I realized this kind of "educating" was social work.

I feel this field fits my desires and interests perfectly and was seriously considering going back for an MSW but have received a lot of criticism from people.

People have questioned me and said why? They said its way to stressful, you don't get paid a lot and you do with everyone else's problems. But won't I don't think people realize is that you put up with all these same things in teaching as well!!! Nothing new to me. Sure teachers have "summers off" (not really because they are changing and creating new curriculum for the upcoming school year) but that doesn't mean anything if u don't enjoy the job.... AND an LCSW can make more money than a teacher and has the option to work in a variety of settings.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, not going to lie, by the time I finished reading the post I didn't even remember that it started out with a question, BUT, since I spent the time to read it all I felt like responding. So, having said that, the two are very different careers, and I choose MSW/LCSW. Do you know the field well? Those who warned you that it is stressful were indeed correct; if you're not passionate about the work itself you will probably find yourself regretting your -2 years at $-50,000.00.

haha, not going to lie, by the time I finished reading the post I didn't even remember that it started out with a question, BUT, since I spent the time to read it all I felt like responding. So, having said that, the two are very different careers, and I choose MSW/LCSW. Do you know the field well? Those who warned you that it is stressful were indeed correct; if you're not passionate about the work itself you will probably find yourself regretting your -2 years at $-50,000.00.

Yes I work in human services right now. So there is some overlap and although stressful, I find it less stressful than teaching.

Were you hoping to go into school social work? That would be a nice transition from teaching if you still wish to work with the student crowd.

Last edited:
Were you hoping to go into school social work? That would be a nice transition from teaching if you still wish to work with the student crowd.

No, I have zero interest in the school environment.. I've realized my passion lies in the clinical area.

You've asked for several LCSW comparison answers. Not that I mind extolling all the good things about my chosen career, but you really seem to be searching for ... What?

What leads you to social work in the first place?