XRanger

10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2005
Status
Medical Student
So there are like 5 specialities that i'm considering atm, so i'm thinking of applying for leadership position to one of the more competitive specialty's interest group so that If I decide at the end that I want that speciality, I have something to put down that show interest towards that speciality.
But there's also another club that deals with underserved population that I'm more interested in, so i'm also considering applying for leadership position for that club. So my question is how much does being in specialty specific interest group matter? Because most residencies tell you that they're looking for students that can show interest towards that specialty and i figure being an officer in the interest group would help.

URHere

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So my question is how much does being in specialty specific interest group matter? Because most residencies tell you that they're looking for students that can show interest towards that specialty and i figure being an officer in the interest group would help.
Most specialty interest groups do very little during medical school and I think residency programs are aware of that and treat it accordingly.

However, if being an officer of the interest group would allow you more direct contact with faculty, that could be a benefit. Overall, if you are interested in showing your interest in a specialty, you may be better served by contacting some faculty members and spending some regular time in clinic with them - even as little as 2 hours/week in the specialty clinic will be more impressive than the 5-10 total hours you would probably spend "leading" an interest group.

So...my advice is to take the position if you want it, but if you are trying to look impressive to residency directors, you should probably focus your attention elsewhere.