Leadership or Not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cristinayanginthemaking

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a rising sophomore and one of my honors college directors recommended I sign up to be an Honors College Orientation mentor, and it seemed like a great opportunity which I'm excited to do. But I wanted to know if the role classifies as leadership or not. As a mentor, I'll help freshmen Honors students with life on campus, answer any questions, and lead them through orientation. I also help them move in and might be able to lead a workshop. The mentorship might be extended throughout their entire freshman year and not just orientation. It's described as a leadership experience by the director, but I got some conflicting opinions from past SDN posts. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I'm a rising sophomore and one of my honors college directors recommended I sign up to be an Honors College Orientation mentor, and it seemed like a great opportunity which I'm excited to do. But I wanted to know if the role classifies as leadership or not. As a mentor, I'll help freshmen Honors students with life on campus, answer any questions, and lead them through orientation. I also help them move in and might be able to lead a workshop. The mentorship might be extended throughout their entire freshman year and not just orientation. It's described as a leadership experience by the director, but I got some conflicting opinions from past SDN posts. Thank you in advance for all your help.
Mentoring generally falls under the Teaching tag. If you were organizing, training, and taking responsibility for other Orientation Mentors, then it would be considered Leadership

Reactions: 3 users
Mentoring generally falls under the Teaching tag. If you were organizing, training, and taking responsibility for other Orientation Mentors, then it would be considered Leadership
Thank you so much! I’ll make sure to keep that in mind when looking for leadership opportunities in the future.

Reactions: 1 user