Leadership Positions vs. Active Membership in Organizations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StriveForGlory

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im just wondering: In terms of what residency directors look for, are leadership positions necessary or can they be supplemented with other things. For instance I am currently working two jobs (hospital and retail) and am doing research. The thing is i dont have any leadership positions in any organizations. What i do have is involvement in the clubs. Now Im not just talking about just paying the fee. I have actively participated in the activities hosted by the clubs. For example APHA held an immunization project in my school which involved going out to a rec center and giving out and informing pations about the flu shot. Would things like this be comparable to leadership positions given the fact that I have such extensive work experience? Or should I really focus on applying for some positions in these clubs?

Members don't see this ad.

Most students have good grades, work experience, research and extracurricular activities, so I think that a leadership position would only help you. From the presentations that we've received about preparing for residency, it sounds like the best thing you can do is be well rounded and interview well. A little luck can't hurt either.

Members don't see this ad :)
most students have good grades, work experience, research and extracurricular activities, so i think that a leadership position would only help you. From the presentations that we've received about preparing for residency, it sounds like the best thing you can do is be well rounded and interview well. A little luck can't hurt either.

+1

Most students have good grades, work experience, research and extracurricular activities

In my school we have a choice of doing either lectures for elective credit or research for elective credit and most people (probably over 95%) are taking lecture electives instead of the research. In fact I dont know too many kids that are doing research through electives or on their own. However I do recognize that when I apply for residencies the kids that I will be applying against WILL have all of that.

My question is how much does quantity matter? Like I have been working at my hospital since high school. Will that look better than say 3 years of hospital experience? Or do they just look at the fact that you did or did not work at a hospital and not really look at for how long it was? (assuming it wasnt like a month).

Also when we are talking about leadership positions, does it have to be high leadership positions? As in do I have to apply for like a VP position to look good or will a Secretary position be seen as comparable leadership initiative? And does it have to be pharmacy clubs? Lets say I was involved in the pharmacy organizations and then held a position in a language club. Is that just as good?

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry for the lengthy message.

Most of your questions depend a lot on the specific program. But generally I'd say leadership in a pharmacy org is better.

Leadership experience shows another level of initiative. You may express your experience as a member in your resume/application and during your interview and tie it back to what you've learned from the experience...or to show your initiative.

Im just wondering: In terms of what residency directors look for, are leadership positions necessary or can they be supplemented with other things. For instance I am currently working two jobs (hospital and retail) and am doing research. The thing is i dont have any leadership positions in any organizations. What i do have is involvement in the clubs. Now Im not just talking about just paying the fee. I have actively participated in the activities hosted by the clubs. For example APHA held an immunization project in my school which involved going out to a rec center and giving out and informing pations about the flu shot. Would things like this be comparable to leadership positions given the fact that I have such extensive work experience? Or should I really focus on applying for some positions in these clubs?