Leadership question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sena

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In regards to leadership, how much is deemed sufficient? I know probably the more is better, but if I have been a little league baseball coach and vice president of nursing school, would this be sufficient for a non trad? I feel like the coach is more under volunteering, but im not sure. By application time, I will have 5 years direct clinical contact with patients as a nurse and volunteering 12 hours a month for about 2 years. So With respect to the experience and volunteering, does having the vice president gig of nursing school provide a sufficient amount, or is it imperative to find more?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, leadership isn't absolutely vital to your application. It's merely a nice addition to your application, especially because many schools like to select for individuals who would be leaders and innovators at the forefront of their respective fields (this is especially the case for higher ranked schools). Any unique non-clinical experiences (including the coaching and VP gig you mentioned) you may have engaged in as a non-trad student should be sufficient.

You can always try and find more leadership positions, but that depends on if you are applying right now or in the future. If you are applying now and find a brand new leadership position, medical schools will not put much weight into it. From what I have been told by admission committees, they would rather see one high quality experience than 10 low quality ones. Hope that helps.

In regards to leadership, how much is deemed sufficient? I know probably the more is better, but if I have been a little league baseball coach and vice president of nursing school, would this be sufficient for a non trad? I feel like the coach is more under volunteering, but im not sure. By application time, I will have 5 years direct clinical contact with patients as a nurse and volunteering 12 hours a month for about 2 years. So With respect to the experience and volunteering, does having the vice president gig of nursing school provide a sufficient amount, or is it imperative to find more?
If you didn't recently take on this role, the VP gig will be fine presuming your description of duties/involvement supports the leadership-y designation. You don't want to come across as only being a potential replacement if the President gets sick.

As the Leadership designation implies "peer" leadership, I agree that the coaching would be better placed under Community Service/Volunteer-not Medical/Clinical, or under Teaching, depending on what balances your application best.