Leadership Studies as a minor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diirez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am at a dilemma here...

I plan to go into grad school for clinical psychology but I want to do more neuroscience oriented research. I understand to do more neuroscience oriented research I need a stronger science background outside of my BS Psych degree. So here is where I am stuck.

My school hosts a pretty strong leadership studies minor program that is invite only to get into. I was invited before I went to University and have done some work within this minor program. I'm not entirely sure if I want to continue to complete it however, as from my experience, it seems more business oriented and use this for medical school apps to stand out (which is why I started it to begin with).

Do you see any strengths to completing this program? Do you think it could help standout my application in clinical psych or would getting a Biological Sciences minor to get a stronger knowledge of bio, cellular bio, chemistry and biochemistry be better?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe my professional experience is an outlier, but...I generally haven't experienced people in the field with formalized training in 'leadership' to be the best actual leaders. I would be more impressed with a minor involving coursework in a scientific domain of study (such as biology), personally.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe my professional experience is an outlier, but...I generally haven't experienced people in the field with formalized training in 'leadership' to be the best actual leaders. I would be more impressed with a minor involving coursework in a scientific domain of study (such as biology), personally.
Leadership training in Psych (and more broadly in Healthcare) is very much lacking.

In the OP's case, I'd go w more hard science classes. Leadership training is probably more useful a bit farther into a career (as an early career psychologist), though most never get any formal training.

Edit...advanced stats is a good idea too.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not do both?
Time constraints. I can't squeeze in two minors because I switched majors and so a lot of those older classes are taking up my free electives.

I can agree with this. There's pros and cons to both, I have some undergrad science coursework, because my old major was a science field, but I'm definitely seeing how strengthening that side would probably be more beneficial. I could also take some advanced stats classes while I'm at it.

I just didn't want to be the cliche Psych/Bio combo.

Fits with my experience 100%. Most folks I know doing it are the sad sacks who "want" to be leaders, but have few marketable skills. It's the same crowd attending the weekend "get rich quick" workshops.

That said, OP this could well be a strong and valuable program. I have no idea. I wouldn't stress about getting it on your CV though. Truth be told, no one cares much about your major for getting into grad school and they won't care a lick once you are in.

I fit the bill you describe (clinician mainly doing neuroscience research). If I could do it again, I'd probably double in psych and electrical engineering. Physics, math or computer science would also all be excellent depending on what exact path you end up going. That said, I clearly made it happen without any of those things, so it's not like it's necessary.

Reactions: 2 users
Yup, another vote for hard science classes and stats. With or without a major/minor, those things are strengths and will help you in your training.

And then, as MamaPhD said, research experience is vital because thats going to be a much bigger deal than anything about your classes.

Fits with my experience 100%. Most folks I know doing it are the sad sacks who "want" to be leaders, but have few marketable skills. It's the same crowd attending the weekend "get rich quick" workshops.

That said, OP this could well be a strong and valuable program. I have no idea. I wouldn't stress about getting it on your CV though. Truth be told, no one cares much about your major for getting into grad school and they won't care a lick once you are in.

I fit the bill you describe (clinician mainly doing neuroscience research). If I could do it again, I'd probably double in psych and electrical engineering. Physics, math or computer science would also all be excellent depending on what exact path you end up going. That said, I clearly made it happen without any of those things, so it's not like it's necessary.
Did you do a hard science and math breadth classes or seek out neuroscience research to get into neuroscience?