Learning another language while in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadowlightfox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you know anyone who has been (or have you yourselves, by any chance) teaching themselves another language while in medical school? When I was working as a scribe in a clinic, the doctor I worked under knew English and Arabic, and taught himself Spanish during rotation, and now he's able to fluently converse with Spanish-speaking patients.

But perhaps he already knew a little bit of Spanish prior to enrolling, and was able to quickly pick up on the rest of the language? His mother was a Brazilian, after all (which reminds me, I forgot to ask him if he knew Portuguese, but I digress). I didn't get the full history behind how he picked up the language, but it was still nice having a trilingual physician.

Also, I really like learning Japanese, and I have come so far in my quest to become fluent in it, and I want to continue. Is it possible for me to continue learning it, or will studying for classes already take up too much time? I obviously have no qualms about prioritizing medicine over anything else, but it would be nice for me to not stop learning, and I don't want to forget all that I have learned up until now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user