Learning Disabled OTA Student Falling Behind

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disabled

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

This is my first semester at our school's OTA program, and things are falling apart. It seems that my learning disability is keeping me away from succeeding. Before responding, please read steps I HAVE taken (at the bottom). Thanks!

Problem #1:

In order to get my work done, I have to use a machine to scan textbook pages and use a program to read the information to me. In other classes I did fine because there were Powerpoint Presentations and other teaching aids. In my prereq's classes, the professors told me to stick to the Powerpoints and I did. Things worked out great. No scanning, Now.. oh boy. The first week there were 4 chapters of 10 pages each to read (or in my case, convert) and I fell behind. It's been horrible ever since.

Problem #2:

I took my first competency and failed. It was not due to whether or not the information was given, it was how I said it. Between demonstrating steps I explained what I was doing and why. The failing was explained to me afterward. "You were too wordy in explaining." So, I mentioned the documentation I provided from disability services. Saying the question in the answer helps me get my brain on track.

Example:

Her: How many feet does a duck have? Two.

Me: How many feet does a duck have? A duck has two feet.

It was apparently different (I couldn't tell). Anyway, if I don't break the habit, I fail out. They said I have to change that method, or it's over.

Problem #3:

My wife is urging me to do something about this. At home, I am being told what I should do, and it's actually correct. The down side is... if I take this anyplace, i'm looking at 2 years of instruction where they can "find a shortcoming that is unrelated." Damned if I do, Damned if I don't ? ?
Also, this is the only OTA program in the area I live in... no other options (transferring etc).

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR:

1. On the second day of school, I gave my professors the paper I received from disability services. They are FULLY AWARE THAT I HAVE A DISABILITY.

2. I contacted the disability services department of the school and they are downright draconian. Their handbook is outdated (the 1990 ADA, Americans with Disabilities Act) instead of the 2008 version (corrections are in support of disabled). Grey matter turns into their favor because the Federal documentation is wrong.

3. I've spoken with the professors and director.. I meet with them almost daily. Things are going to stay (according to them.) While all of this is going on though, I am not missing assignments, but losing reading!

Alright, so.. any ideas?

-Disabled

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that a program that is supposed to teach people to work with the disabled, cannot work with the disabled.

Your on campus disability office: what did you want from them. (What 'allowances' or 'considerations' where you hoping for, and what did they actually give you? )

I think that if your failing grade is literally how you explain it, you should be marching up to the dean about now. And you should have a few advocates coming with you when you meet with the dean. I don't know offhand who that should be. A lawyer would be nice, but barring that... maybe another teacher or professional that could speak if the situation gets rough... which it will.

But... make them believe that you have a case against them and this will hurt them in public, or finacially.. and they will kiss your Gluteus Maximus.

It would help if you mentioned your disability and what school this is.

PM me if this helps. I have worked in public schools where various services were offered to those with disabilities and in this day in age your college needs to get w/ the program!.