Learning espanol quickly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vdubpower

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know of some really simple and good books to learn spanish, along with medical spanish. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have not used this book but I heard that it was helpful. It's Spanish for Health Care Professionals with Audiocassettes by William C. Harvey. I hope that helps.

not sure about books, but I hear that if you go to the intersection of Holt and Towne there are plenty of people who will be happy to talk to you....

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you consider a month at a language school in Mexico? In an intensive program, you could gain a lot in a month (or 3 wks, depending on your schedule). I don't know where you are in your studies, but if you're first or second year, you might have some time during the summer or over Christmas break.

One problem I found learning Spanish in school (high school and college), and moving to Mexico maaaany years later, is that the classes don't teach you to speak the language as it is spoken in real life. Another thing is that you will probably stay with a local family during your time in a language school, and you'll be forced to speak whatever you know of the language.

You can find info on language schools by doing a search on the internet or going to http://www.mexconnect.com . Mexico Connect is an e-zine that has tons of info about tons of things. I did lots of research about Mexico on their site before moving here. Good luck.

I have a pretty decent medical spanish book called "Que Paso?" (don't have it with me so I am not sure who wrote it... but it is available through the AMSA website amsa.org, on clearance too, only nine bucks!)

Hey does anyone have any ideas about how to get funding for a 1-month language program in Mexico, that involves hospital rotations and some community service? I have heard of asking Rotary or Lions Club for donations, but who do I contact and how does it usually work. Any other ideas, also?

Thanks for all the helpful information. I also have been looking for ways to learn spanish.

There is a book called "Spanish-English Medical Dictionary" by Onyria Herrera McElroy and Lola L. Grabb. It is not only a dictionary but has the questions (English and Spanish) for obtaining a history for the different organ systems. I have found it very useful.
Also, I think an intensive Spanish program in a Latin American country would be very helpful. Just make sure you go where the people dont speak English bec. you should be forced to speak in Spanish.

Definately contact a Rotary club about funding a travel program! I think they would be especially excited to help a med student hook up with medical folks in Mexico (or other Spanish speaking country.) In addition to pursuing their mission to improve international understanding, I think they would be excited about promoting international healthcare exchanges too. And all they really ask in return is that you do a couple of short speaking engagements at both locations to talk about your experiences.

Forget books. The best way to learn a language on one's own that I know of is Pimsleur language sets. They're costly--about $600 for the complete 3 sets of tapes, but well worth it, and you can sell them back on ebay once you're done with them. They'll take you to intermediate level in about 3 months, from which point you can augment your Spanish fairly easily. Cheaper than immersion courses. It's the way to go, imo.