1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

learning imaging

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by psychdocstudent, Jul 27, 2011.

1. psychdocstudent

Psychology Student
    Hello,

I have quite some trouble narrowing down my research interests. I am trying to check out imaging techniques in a research center. I am wondering how long it would take to learn MRI or fMRI? I am not looking for expert level but just wanted to put something into an application related to imaging and schizophrenia. Any thoughts? worth it?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. paramour

7+ Year Member

FWIW, before the funding fell through and the guy went to another facility, we (grad students) were required to make a ~1-year commitment for fMRI training and subsequent research at a behavioral health hospital.

4. psychdocstudent

Psychology Student
    Do you need a background/training experiences for fMRI imaging before you apply to a professor conducting research related to this area?

You mentioned a year of training, and how many hours/week was that? Thanks.

5. Psychology 76

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I would definitely try to work in a brain imaging lab to see if your interested in that kind of research. It looks great on a resume and you will need imaging experience if you apply to work with professors who do imaging research.

6. nessa34

nessa34 Grad Student
    7+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    to be able to conduct your own fMRI experiments? I'd say a year, full time.
    But if you are just looking into it for grad school, you may not need that much. Some researchers who do imaging only do imaging, while some use imaging along many other methods; the latter might be fine with no experience.

7. deadmau5

7+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    i took a crash course on fMRI FSL and Freesurfer... it was a week long but it definitely will take me over a year to actually nail down the process and procedures.

8. paramour

7+ Year Member

We agreed to work ~10 hours/week, as we were driving approximately 1-1.5 hours each way to get to the facility.

Neither of us had any direct hands-on experience with fMRI. However, I had extensive experience with polysomnograph (think sleep studies), EEG, biofeedback, psychophys, etc., and the other student had some experience with psychophys work, which interested the PI enough to work with the both of us.

Some professors may require that you have a relevant background before working with you. However, how are you to obtain a background unless someone gives you a chance at some point? There are some individuals who may be willing to provide you with the opportunity to gain such experience , but you may likely have to start with grunt work and commit to a number of hours for a period of time. Just the nature of the beast (and I suspect this may be true for many labs, not just fMRI/imaging).

G'luck. :luck:

9. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    You may want to check out the Radiology forum on here, as they should have a "book list" thread. Neurology probably has one too. My buddy picked up a great book on imaging, though I think it was mostly focused on CT & MRI stuff.