Learning (non medical things) after residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Backpack234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Man, throughout medical school and residency I always felt like I could be doing something different. Programming, music, art, and almost anything else. But I always figured studying and working was more important. Now that I'm an attending and I have the time to do these other things, I always end up starting and stopping. Usually because I don't see the value from the time I'd spend going from being so terrible at something to being good enough. Has anyone else put off these things and successfully developed new skills after training? I'd love to hear.

Members don't see this ad.

Man, throughout medical school and residency I always felt like I could be doing something different. Programming, music, art, and almost anything else. But I always figured studying and working was more important. Now that I'm an attending and I have the time to do these other things, I always end up starting and stopping. Usually because I don't see the value from the time I'd spend going from being so terrible at something to being good enough. Has anyone else put off these things and successfully developed new skills after training? I'd love to hear.
It's really hard, as busy as life can become, especially if you have a family. So like you, I've mostly dabbled off and on. That didn't change until this past year when I've gotten hardcore into long-distance running, since my kids are getting older and so much else has been shut down due to COVID. I'm looking to hopefully qualify for the Boston Marathon soon, if all goes well. We shall see.

I definitely recommend finding something new and energizing that allows you to live in the moment, completely unrelated to work, even if it means you try and quit many things before finding something that makes you feel most alive.

Reactions: 1 user

Try starting with something where you get immediate enjoyment from it, even if "terrible" like running above, cooking, playing a sport you are ok at, video games etc. If you let mastery be the only pleasure, you will keep bouncing around, but if let mastery be just part of the pleasure, in addition to the innate pleasure of the activity, you will succeed.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
languages is a good/helpful thing, that you can learn in bits on and off. I've been learning arabic for a year online with one on one instruction. If there's a language that interests you, would certainly recommend going this route. If your shifts/life get in the way of classes, just cancel and reschedule to a free day.

Reactions: 1 users
I picked up golf first month outta residency. Never played before 5 months ago and I've really enjoyed it. I also picked up my lifelong music/recording endeavors where I left off when residency started. Been spending a lot more time in my kids' stuff as well which has been awesome.

Ive embraced my oldness, bought a greenhouse, learning gardening and signed up for a master gardener course. Sounds exciting eh?

For excitement, I joined a mountain rescue org, just have to get in shape so my ass isnt a liability.

Yes I have a lot of hobbies.
I’d say the most I’ve really invested are learning a new language and writing. I’ve taken classes for both over the years and do different hobby groups for both this skills.

I also picked up triathlons. I was the type of swimmer that wouldn’t drown right away if I fell in to water, but I didn’t really know how to swim laps. So I took swimming lessons at my gym, bought a bike (I was already a runner) and then joined a local triathlon group.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I have a lot of hobbies.
I’d say the most I’ve really invested are learning a new language and writing. I’ve taken classes for both over the years and do different hobby groups for both this skills.

I also picked up triathlons. I was the type of swimmer that wouldn’t drown right away if I fell in to water, but I didn’t really know how to swim laps. So I took swimming lessons at my gym, bought a bike (I was already a runner) and then joined a local triathlon group.
Which language?

Ahhhhh. I really should buckle down and make a concerted effort to improve my Spanish. My foundation and vocabulary are actually really good, but my grammar tends to be what I call "hilarious." I began learning the language in Kindergarten and took classes through my first year of college, with the exception of senior year of high school. I was conversational in college. I gotta get it back.