Learning Radiology - what all should I look at/complete?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OpalOnyx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, there seems to be a lot information on the LR website. I'm wondering which sections are absolute essentials for me to try to cover?
http://www.learningradiology.com/

Members don't see this ad.

Try to cover for what? If it is step 1 it is unlikely you'll be required to intrepret an image to get the correct answer. I also doubt your classes would require that as well.

Now if it is just for your own learning I think it is better to kinda go along with what you are doing in class and then research some of the radiographic findings/procedures that are done and then look up example images. This will just make you aware of the basic findings before you start rotations. Again on step 1 you won't have to decide what scan to do or get an answer from a xray (the same can't be said for pathology) as far as I can remember - that's 3rd year stuff.

Try to cover for what? If it is step 1 it is unlikely you'll be required to intrepret an image to get the correct answer. I also doubt your classes would require that as well.

Now if it is just for your own learning I think it is better to kinda go along with what you are doing in class and then research some of the radiographic findings/procedures that are done and then look up example images. This will just make you aware of the basic findings before you start rotations. Again on step 1 you won't have to decide what scan to do or get an answer from a xray (the same can't be said for pathology) as far as I can remember - that's 3rd year stuff.

Thanks.... yea I'm genuinely interested in this stuff and it honestly feels like a nice break between structured studying for classes. I'm very visual and I love looking at this stuff. But the website itself looks a bit overwhelming, there's just so much on there.

that's a good idea - to link it to my classes and learn some related radiology stuff. I seem to like the quizzes and medical students tab. I also have the Learning Radiology book so I'm probably going to stick with that moreso than the website. There's just so much on there! Stuff I don't know tends to scare me. Gotta get over that... Aaaahhhhhh

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.... yea I'm genuinely interested in this stuff and it honestly feels like a nice break between structured studying for classes. I'm very visual and I love looking at this stuff. But the website itself looks a bit overwhelming, there's just so much on there.

that's a good idea - to link it to my classes and learn some related radiology stuff. I seem to like the quizzes and medical students tab. I also have the Learning Radiology book so I'm probably going to stick with that moreso than the website. There's just so much on there! Stuff I don't know tends to scare me. Gotta get over that... Aaaahhhhhh

yeah just remember it takes a REALLY long time to begin to process and connect everything. It never started clicking for me until I did several rotations 3rd year (peds, medicine, surgery, etc). Rads is pretty much all-encompasing and you need a strong background to get an understanding of what you are seeing in a film and then connect it to a patient.

I think a good way to get a head start on that material is to do essentially what I suggested. Try not to get overwhelmed by that book. It's really good but there's a lot of stuff in there you don't need to know unless you are a radiologist. I'd say at this point stick with the basic stuff. You'll learn tons of diseases 2nd year you'll never ever see in real patients. But always look at films of it when available so you start to get comfortable looking at scans.

For example, I never got good at finding a pneumothorax on a CXR until I did my surgery rotation where almost every patient had one. It's funny because they maybe talk about pneuomothorax 2nd year for like 5 minutes but you'll see it a lot over the years. However, they'd spend a whole several days on very rare immunological conditions (see first aid immunology chapter) that most docs have never and will never see. --- don't get me wrong though, we need to learn the really rare stuff because when it comes up we, as physicians, are the ones who should have that in a differential if the more common causes don't pan out. A pneumo is easy to spot on a film (well a large one anyway) and the treatment is usually really straightforward.

Last edited:
Hey guys, there seems to be a lot information on the LR website. I'm wondering which sections are absolute essentials for me to try to cover?
http://www.learningradiology.com/

Medical Students Tab, 22 must sees

Everyone should do this.

You can just go through that to get the fundamentals, the high-impact cases. Then, as you go through your rotations, and encounter films on the wards (which you SHOULD be looking at), you can comapre that to one of their examples on the website.