Learning radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

grasshopper2005

I have recently started a little moonlighting and realize that I am deprived of knowledge when it comes to orthopedics, sports medicine, and reading x-rays (not chest, but ankles, knees, etc, etc.). Anybody have any good books they use or recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm... I'd recommed the Wolf Files - Demo version. (It's actually computer software). We use that at my med school and it was very helpful. The other book I used was Radiology 101: The Basics and Fundamentals of Imaging, 2nd edition by William E. Erkonen and Wilbur L. Smith. It has lots of pictures in it and good explanations. It has a section on Musculoskeletal System with subtopics in arthritides and trauma. There's another advanced book recommended by my med school for the senior elective rotation in radiology, but I forget what it's called. Good luck! :luck:

Can you get the Wolf files for Mac now? I got a free copy for passing out some fliers at school but have never been able to use it because it's designed for computers from the Dark Side. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you get the Wolf files for Mac now? I got a free copy for passing out some fliers at school but have never been able to use it because it's designed for computers from the Dark Side. ;)

I'm not sure if they have Wolf files for Mac.... It's been about a year since I've done my 2 week radiology rotation, so I don't know about the software updates they've had in the interim.

Grasshopper2005 - Sorry, I couldn't find the name of the other radiology book they recommended for the radiology elective (I didn't buy that book, so I don't know if it's any good anyway).

Fracture management for Primary Care is a good book to keep in your bag when moonlighting. I moonlight a lot at an urgent care center and this book is very helpful. Plenty of pictures and tables for length of casting, when to refer, etc for quick reference.