Least amount of moves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steiner

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anywhere that I can find a list of the Categorical Programs along with those Advanced Programs that place you into a prelim year in the area if you match with them. I think Louisville does something like that, and University of Washington also. I looked on Freida, but I was wondering if there is a listing of just these type of programs. I'm trying to avoid moving more than once after school.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's what I have so far:

University of Vermont-----2 associated prelim positions
MUSC-----associated TY at Trident Hospital
Maine Medical Center-----Categorical
University of New Mexico-----Categorical
Texas A&M Scott & White-----Categorical
University of Washington------Associated TY
Virginia Mason-----Categorical
Spokane Medical Centers-----Categorical
University of Missouri-----Categorical
Southern Illinois University-----Categorical

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There is also:
Emory- categorical (I don't think all spots are categorical, though)
UTSW- categorical
Mayo- Jacksonville- associated TY

University of Vermont--------2 associated prelim positions
MUSC-----------------------associated TY at Trident Hospital
Maine Medical Center--------Categorical
University of New Mexico-----Categorical
Texas A&M Scott & White----Categorical
University of Washington-----Associated TY
Virginia Mason---------------Categorical
Spokane Medical Centers-----Categorical
University of Missouri---------Categorical
Southern Illinois University----Categorical
Mayo Jacksonville------------Associated TY
UTSW-----------------------Categorical
Emory-----------------------Categorical
Baylor-----------------------Categorical
University of South Florida----Categorical
University of Minnesota-------Categorical
West Virginia University-------Associated TY
Eastern Virginia---------------Preference given to associated TY or Prelim Medicine
University of Arkansas--------Categorical
Mich St./GRMERC-------------Categorical
University of Illinois @ Peoria--Categorical

Last edited:
comprehensive list of categorical programs courtesy of nrmp:

Institution Name # of spots
Baptist Health System-AL 3
Baylor U Med Ctr-Dallas-TX 5
Case Western/MetroHealth Med Ctr-OH 2
Christiana Care-DE 3
Grand Rapids Med Ed-MI 3
Henry Ford HSC-MI 9
Indiana Univ Sch Of Med 2
Kaiser Permanente-So CA Region 3
Maine Medical Center 3
Mercy Catholic Med-PA 2
Oakwood Hospital-MI 5
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA 5
SIU SOM & Affil Hosps-IL 3
Sacred Heart Med Ctr-WA 2
St Lukes Med Ctr-WI 5
Texas A&M-Scott & White 6
U Arkansas-Little Rock 5
U IL-St Francis Med Ctr 4
U Minnesota Med School 8
U New Mexico SOM 5
U South Florida COM-Tampa 7
U Tennessee COM-Memphis 8
U Texas SW Med Sch-Dallas 6
U Washington Affil Hosps 3
U Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics 2
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr-IL 2
Univ of MO-KC Programs 6
University Hosps-Columbia-MO 4
University Hosps-Jackson-MS 3
Virginia Mason Med Ctr-WA 2
William Beaumont Hosp-MI 10

in addition there were 4 DIRECT Pathway programs with 1 spot each (combined IR programs):
Hospital of University of Pennsylvania
University of Minnesota
Christiana Care
University of Arkansas-Little Rock

also there was 1 combined Peds/Rads spot
University of Arkansas-Little Rock

there are some other places that unofficially offer you the chance to simultaneously interview and obtain a prelim at the program should you match there.

university of louisville does allow this. when i received my interview invitation there, they asked if i wanted to sign up for the prelim also. there are some others out there like this.

Yeah, I've been looking at individual programs websites and gathering info that way. I thought Louisville did that. A friend of mine is a 1st year rads resident there, and I know he did his prelim medicine year there.

yeah, just keep in mind that most of the categorical programs have a prelim or ty that is somewhat more rigorous than the most popular transitional years and prelims with lots of elective time that are out there.

comprehensive list of categorical programs courtesy of nrmp:

Institution Name # of spots
Baptist Health System-AL 3
Baylor U Med Ctr-Dallas-TX 5
Case Western/MetroHealth Med Ctr-OH 2
Christiana Care-DE 3
Grand Rapids Med Ed-MI 3
Henry Ford HSC-MI 9
Indiana Univ Sch Of Med 2
Kaiser Permanente-So CA Region 3
Maine Medical Center 3
Mercy Catholic Med-PA 2
Oakwood Hospital-MI 5
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA 5
SIU SOM & Affil Hosps-IL 3
Sacred Heart Med Ctr-WA 2
St Lukes Med Ctr-WI 5
Texas A&M-Scott & White 6
U Arkansas-Little Rock 5
U IL-St Francis Med Ctr 4
U Minnesota Med School 8
U New Mexico SOM 5
U South Florida COM-Tampa 7
U Tennessee COM-Memphis 8
U Texas SW Med Sch-Dallas 6
U Washington Affil Hosps 3
U Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics 2
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr-IL 2
Univ of MO-KC Programs 6
University Hosps-Columbia-MO 4
University Hosps-Jackson-MS 3
Virginia Mason Med Ctr-WA 2
William Beaumont Hosp-MI 10
Thanks, that's really helpful...though they did leave off Emory. Here is the description of Emory's PGY-1 year in case anyone is wondering if I'm having some sort of drug-induced delusion.

http://www.radiology.emory.edu/educational-programs/residency/training/index.html#c283

the list i posted is all the programs that have pure categorical spots meaning you simultaneously match into a PGY1-5 spot using the same rank code.

at emory, its 2 different rank codes for the prelim and the rads residency though they facilitate the process for getting the internship. also, you can elect to do your prelim elsewhere if you want, so its not a true categorical program. there are a bunch of programs like this that have prelims or tys at the same place where you can do rads.

there are some other places that unofficially offer you the chance to simultaneously interview and obtain a prelim at the program should you match there.

university of louisville does allow this. when i received my interview invitation there, they asked if i wanted to sign up for the prelim also. there are some others out there like this.

interesting. so for these programs, are you saying that the rads interview also counts as your interview for the prelim spot? or at least is the prelim interview on the same day?

interesting. so for these programs, are you saying that the rads interview also counts as your interview for the prelim spot? or at least is the prelim interview on the same day?

For the categorical programs, you have one interview and they only have one code for your rank list. The programs like Emory and Louisville will often offer you a corresponding prelim interview but you still have to rank them on a supplemental list.

So if you ranked William Beaumont 1st and Emory 2nd and wanted to do the Emory prelim your rank list would be

1st-William Beaumont-code for rads
2nd-Emory-code for Emory rads
Supplemental A
1st Emory Prelim-code for Emory Prelim

Unless you're talking about one of the cushier prelim/TYs, every radiology program I've seen will get you an interview with their internship if they already know they want to give you an advanced position interview.

I know it's not quite the kind of security you're looking for, but it sure beats not getting an intern interview.

And for the record, it doesn't really work the other way. :p I had internship interviews at 4 places that I ended up canceling because I didn't get an interview with their radiology programs (Ohio State (Riverside methodist TY), Christiana Care's TY, Saint Raphael's TY and prelim medicine) and didn't want to fly somewhere just for an internship interview.

Unless you're talking about one of the cushier prelim/TYs, every radiology program I've seen will get you an interview with their internship if they already know they want to give you an advanced position interview.

I know it's not quite the kind of security you're looking for, but it sure beats not getting an intern interview.

And for the record, it doesn't really work the other way. :p I had internship interviews at 4 places that I ended up canceling because I didn't get an interview with their radiology programs (Ohio State (Riverside methodist TY), Christiana Care's TY, Saint Raphael's TY and prelim medicine) and didn't want to fly somewhere just for an internship interview.

sweet. that makes the application process seem less daunting/expensive. are the interviews often on the same day?

sweet. that makes the application process seem less daunting/expensive. are the interviews often on the same day?

I had one place do a TY and radiology interview on the same day (UPMC - the radiology program PC basically got me the interview with their TY program), but the rest were either 1-3 days apart due to diligent planning on my part or on completely different months (OU's programs, but it didn't matter since I live 20 minutes away).