Least Difficult/Most Difficult Surgical Specialty Lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mednoob

I ask noobish questions
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for most difficult, i'd have to say transplant surgeon not in private practice. they work insane hours and have to go in the middle of the night to do organ harvests, etc. sometimes

for least difficult i'd have to say a colorectal surgeon in private practice. i heard hours and overall lifestyle for colorectal surgeons (esp. those in private practice) are not that bad. but doing "butt surgery" FTL lol:laugh:

how about you, what do u think is the most difficult and least difficult surgical specialties regarding lifestyle?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, I understand the need for levity, humor, whatever on this board. And I hate to single anyone out but my god mednoob - you get the gold star AAA blue ribbon award for the most useless and annoying posts...EVER. A brief perusal of your past posts include: 1) "have you noticed surgeons are tall?"; 2) "is it possible to work part-time as a lab tech or pharmacy tech?" 3) "How would i pay for other expenses during med school?" and 4) "Do you take exams during clinical years?"

This is not to suggest that I haven't posted a few bone-headed questions on this form. I freely admit to throwing more than one up here in the middle of the night as I stressed stupidly and needlessly about something during medical school and I certainly hate to even suggest that there are stupid questions b/c obviously any one of us could throw one out there.

But every time mednoob posts, I have to admit I've begun to reconsider putting studentdoctor.net's surgery forum on my google reader b/c he/she reduces this forum from a meaningful exchange of experience, ideas, and funny stories into a endlessly repetitive, whiny collection of "is my application good enough? and is the lifestyle of transplant surgeons hard?" crap. Please, for the love of God, either search this forum for your answers ahead of time or use google or SOMETHING. Just stop. Please.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I understand the need for levity, humor, whatever on this board. And I hate to single anyone out but my god mednoob - you get the gold star AAA blue ribbon award for the most useless and annoying posts...EVER. A brief perusal of your past posts include: 1) "have you noticed surgeons are tall?"; 2) "is it possible to work part-time as a lab tech or pharmacy tech?" 3) "How would i pay for other expenses during med school?" and 4) "Do you take exams during clinical years?"

This is not to suggest that I haven't posted a few bone-headed questions on this form. I freely admit to throwing more than one up here in the middle of the night as I stressed stupidly and needlessly about something during medical school and I certainly hate to even suggest that there are stupid questions b/c obviously any one of us could throw one out there.

But every time mednoob posts, I have to admit I've begun to reconsider putting studentdoctor.net's surgery forum on my google reader b/c he/she reduces this forum from a meaningful exchange of experience, ideas, and funny stories into a endlessly repetitive, whiny collection of "is my application good enough? and is the lifestyle of transplant surgeons hard?" crap. Please, for the love of God, either search this forum for your answers ahead of time or use google or SOMETHING. Just stop. Please.

I like that thread.

dang i didnt know my threads were that annoying apparently u seem the most ticked off by them. yea ill admit that some of my threads might seem a bit "noobish" but u dont have to go into a rant just for that. im sure there are and have been other people that have posted way more annoying threads.

u gotta take a chill pill man...relax its a forum...people are always going to be posting threads that some might deem useless (like u)

Before posting a new thread, please do a search for this frequently-asked topic.

For example, using the keyword "lifestyle" in this forum alone, here are some relevant threads:

Ranking surgical specialties based on overall lifestyle?
Surgery with a decent lifestyle
Which surg. specialty is best as far as lifestyle?
Lifestyle-friendly Surgery Residency?
general surgery fellowships - lifestyle rankings

thank u bro.

see guys, this is how it's done...blade28 didnt come down on me but he took the time to find some threads pertaining to the topic im looking for. he also didnt go into a mindless mini-rant like "drdrew" did. i did use the search function before posting this thread but i havent been able to find much.

thank u again blade28....u seem like the kindest person on SDN..:thumbup::thumbup::):)
:love::love:(no homo lol)

In response to your query:

Worst lifestyles would be Trauma at a Level 1 Knife and Gun Club; Multi-Organ Transplant; and CTS

Best lifestyles would be Breast and Endocrine. While CRS sounds great, the patients are generally sicker, stay in the hospital longer (which the two afore-mentioned are generally outpatient or 1 day stay), and you may have to take general surgery call. All in all, CRS isn't a bad lifestyle especially if you don't have to take Gen Surg call and its not all "butt surgery" (some of the diseases are actually quite interesting), but its certainly not the best, IMHO.

Reactions: 1 user
FYI:

We don't much care for "text-speak" here. A "LOL" or "WTF" not withstanding, you'd probably be well advised to skip the "u" and to use some capitals now and again.;)

Yeah seriously. What has the world come to? Seems like everyone talks and types in Orwellian Newspeak.

Yeah seriously. What has the world come to? Seems like everyone talks and types in Orwellian Newspeak.

I would call that trend double-plus ungood. Nice reference.

FYI:

We don't much care for "text-speak" here. A "LOL" or "WTF" not withstanding, you'd probably be well advised to skip the "u" and to use some capitals now and again.;)

lolcatsdotcommr66uy3v4hahmpc6.jpg

I would call that trend double-plus ungood. Nice reference.

Hahaha. :laugh: :thumbup:

In response to your query:

Worst lifestyles would be Trauma at a Level 1 Knife and Gun Club; Multi-Organ Transplant; and CTS

Best lifestyles would be Breast and Endocrine. While CRS sounds great, the patients are generally sicker, stay in the hospital longer (which the two afore-mentioned are generally outpatient or 1 day stay), and you may have to take general surgery call. All in all, CRS isn't a bad lifestyle especially if you don't have to take Gen Surg call and its not all "butt surgery" (some of the diseases are actually quite interesting), but its certainly not the best, IMHO.

thank you so much Winged Scapula. i always love the responses you give to my meaningless questions lol. thank you so much!!!:love:

CRS seems pretty good, but i dont know if im cut out for looking at people's rear end all day:laugh:

and i wont use "texting" language anymore...i realize i have to speak professionally here.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you so much Winged Scapula. i always love the responses you give to my meaningless questions lol. thank you so much!!!:love:

CRS seems pretty good, but i dont know if im cut out for looking at people's rear end all day:laugh:

Eh, you'll get used to it in general surgery. Every admit needs a rectal exam. And besides, most of your time as a CRS you'll be looking inside someone's abdomen, not necessarily at the other end. In the end (pun intended), its just another body part.

and i wont use "texting" language anymore...i realize i have to speak professionally here.

Thanks....and don't forget to capitalize!;)

(1) 5+ years of General Surgery residency will desensitize you to this. We're accustomed to looking at the entire GI tract, from mouth to anus.

(2) Good idea. :) :thumbup:

Worst lifestyles would be Trauma at a Level 1 Knife and Gun Club

Isn't it true that a lot of trauma surgeons work in shifts, making the lifestyle not so bad compared to other types of surgeons? Sure it would be intense work, but once their shift is over they're done kind of like ER physicians.

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't it true that a lot of trauma surgeons work in shifts, making the lifestyle not so bad compared to other types of surgeons? Sure it would be intense work, but once their shift is over they're done kind of like ER physicians.

Well, my experience at a place like Shock Trauma in Baltimore is that yes, you are "on call" for 24 hours at a time. After that period is over, while you are not responsible for being on call for incoming traumas you are responsible for taking care of the needs for patients on your service. You do not sign out these patients and if they need to go back to the operating room, that's your responsibility. Thus your "shifts" can easily exceed 24, 48 or more hours (I witnessed a near 70 hour shift once).

Hence my comment about the lifestyle not being so great at places like that. At a smaller hospital or someplace with less operative trauma, you certainly can work less hours. My ex, a trauma surgeon at a Level 2 trauma center, now works 1 week a month as SICU attending, 1 week on general surgery call, 1 week for administrative duties (ie, vacation) and takes trauma call q6 as primary call and q6 as back-up (so on call for trauma around q3). This is a much better lifestyle than we experienced in Baltimore.

My ex, a trauma surgeon at a Level 2 trauma center, now works 1 week a month as SICU attending, 1 week on general surgery call, 1 week for administrative duties (ie, vacation) and takes trauma call q6 as primary call and q6 as back-up (so on call for trauma around q3). This is a much better lifestyle than we experienced in Baltimore.

How could ask for a better lifestyle? :)

Oh I see. It's a tough career anyway. ;)

Oh I see. It's a tough career anyway. ;)

Hmmm... I'm no sure I understand your winky smile. While there may be a week in which administrative duties replace ICU attending and gen surg call, since there is still work to be done, trauma call to be taken, I'm not sure its the easy lifestyle you seem to think it is.:confused:

Having a week with only trauma call as your clinical duties might seem like a piece of cake, but since the rest of the month is pretty onerous, I'd venture he still works more hours per month than most.

thank u bro.

see guys, this is how it's done...blade28 didnt come down on me but he took the time to find some threads pertaining to the topic im looking for. he also didnt go into a mindless mini-rant like "drdrew" did. i did use the search function before posting this thread but i havent been able to find much.

thank u again blade28....u seem like the kindest person on SDN..:thumbup::thumbup::):)
:love::love:(no homo lol)

The only people, in my experience, who talk about "noobs" are on World of Warcraft, which you'll need to cut down on quickly if you're going to stand a chance at doing well in med school.

"DrDrew"'s rant actually contained some good points and didn't strike me as "childish." Being so mistaken as to think that colorectal surgery involves only the butt, and writing things like "no homo lol," seem to me a bit more childish...

Hmmm... I'm no sure I understand your winky smile.
I'm sorry for that, it probably was misleading. I Just wanted to emphasize it is a tough career even with a one week of adminstrative work.

The only people, in my experience, who talk about "noobs" are on World of Warcraft, which you'll need to cut down on quickly if you're going to stand a chance at doing well in med school.

"DrDrew"'s rant actually contained some good points and didn't strike me as "childish." Being so mistaken as to think that colorectal surgery involves only the butt, and writing things like "no homo lol," seem to me a bit more childish...

The term "noob" is not only used in WoW, it's used in many online games.

And I don't care if "drdrew"'s rant had some good points...it was still a meaningless rant...my threads are not that bad he was overreacting. So what if I type "no homo lol"? It's just for fun. No need to be so uptight about typing properly like you have sand stuck up your rear end.:smuggrin:

Well, my experience at a place like Shock Trauma in Baltimore is that yes, you are "on call" for 24 hours at a time. After that period is over, while you are not responsible for being on call for incoming traumas you are responsible for taking care of the needs for patients on your service. You do not sign out these patients and if they need to go back to the operating room, that's your responsibility. Thus your "shifts" can easily exceed 24, 48 or more hours (I witnessed a near 70 hour shift once).

Hence my comment about the lifestyle not being so great at places like that. At a smaller hospital or someplace with less operative trauma, you certainly can work less hours. My ex, a trauma surgeon at a Level 2 trauma center, now works 1 week a month as SICU attending, 1 week on general surgery call, 1 week for administrative duties (ie, vacation) and takes trauma call q6 as primary call and q6 as back-up (so on call for trauma around q3). This is a much better lifestyle than we experienced in Baltimore.

I have a good friend who is a trauma surgeon at a major level 1. He will take a crazy 24 hour call, then stay and operate for about 6-8 more hours. He goes home, crashes and then is usually at work the next day for 16 hours or so. He is on call about every 4th or 5th night.

The term "noob" is not only used in WoW, it's used in many online games.

And I don't care if "drdrew"'s rant had some good points...it was still a meaningless rant...my threads are not that bad he was overreacting. So what if I type "no homo lol"? It's just for fun. No need to be so uptight about typing properly like you have sand stuck up your rear end.:smuggrin:

Hey mednoob, I was just browsing some of the forums and I saw DrDrew's obnoxious post where he attacks you for asking a question. Isn't this supposed to be a forum to ask questions? And How did pioneer village know that a noob is in WoW? I didn't have a clue, so maybe he needs to lay off the online games.I didn't realize everyone who joined this forum had to read 'Robert's Rules of Order' first, lol. These two sound like they're having real difficulties in med school - might even be failing - and have decided to take it out on you. I don't post non-medical posts often but their rudeness necessitated a response. I hate it when two jerks gain up on one person, I thought I write and say hey. They probably have a lot of troubling psychological issues, so don't worry about them. Keep asking questions.

* Post count = 3, and one other post on this thread is a single letter.
Funny.

And everyone knows asian people love online games.

I agree with you JeffLebowski. Good post! You're clearly a smart and handsome individual.
...aw crap, I think I did that wrong. Wait mednoob how do you create a new account?