Leave of Absence and its Effect on Residency Competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissyMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first-year student who recently took a leave of absence from med school for both personal and medical reasons. I honestly was doubting my decision to continue on with medicine as a career, which I think was clouded by the fact that I was not feeling well for quite some time. I had a combo of vertigo, migraines, and rebound headaches which was driving me absolutely crazy! I had gotten to the point where I threw all my books on the floor and just went to bed before my last set of anatomy exams. I decided a LOA was better than taking those exams and failing miserably. Anyway, I'm happy to report that I'm finally taking care of my health and am in much better spirits. This time off has made me realize how important a career in medicine really is to me. I will be starting school again in August. However, I am curious as to how this leave of absence will affect me when I later apply for a residency. I had been doing well in school until I left, and I plan to do some type of research from now until I begin school again.

I'm not interested in any of the extremely competitive residencies like derm or ortho. At the moment, I'm really drawn to emergency medicine. From what I've heard, it seems as if board scores and clinical rotation grades are most important when applying. Do you think my leave of absence will prevent me from pursuing certain residencies?

Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a first-year student who recently took a leave of absence from med school for both personal and medical reasons. I honestly was doubting my decision to continue on with medicine as a career, which I think was clouded by the fact that I was not feeling well for quite some time. I had a combo of vertigo, migraines, and rebound headaches which was driving me absolutely crazy! I had gotten to the point where I threw all my books on the floor and just went to bed before my last set of anatomy exams. I decided a LOA was better than taking those exams and failing miserably. Anyway, I'm happy to report that I'm finally taking care of my health and am in much better spirits. This time off has made me realize how important a career in medicine really is to me. I will be starting school again in August. However, I am curious as to how this leave of absence will affect me when I later apply for a residency. I had been doing well in school until I left, and I plan to do some type of research from now until I begin school again.

I'm not interested in any of the extremely competitive residencies like derm or ortho. At the moment, I'm really drawn to emergency medicine. From what I've heard, it seems as if board scores and clinical rotation grades are most important when applying. Do you think my leave of absence will prevent me from pursuing certain residencies?

Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks!

I doubt leave of absences for health reasons (which are now resolved) have any impact on residency. Do well on the boards and in clinical years and I see no reason why you couldn't still get a residency of your choosing.

I seem to have had alot of contact with medical students who have taken LOAs. Almost invariably they are due to some real physical, psychologoical, or family problem. If I were a PD I would probably give an applicant the benefit of the doubt.

Taking a LOA during M1/2 is more common than you might think. The OP has already come out swinging by getting involved in research and in doing so is making great use of her time. As long as she gets back on track and does the rest of med school "unbroken" I doubt it will matter much for residency at all.

Getting into an EM residency (as opposed to say, Urology) is mostly about demonstrating some basic level of clinical/personal competancy and then fitting in with a program. That said, you probably will have to discuss this LOA at every interview so talk with your advisors/dean about how you want to "spin" it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had several friends who did it and all matched into the field of their choice.

Thanks for the input! I was starting to worry that I really screwed myself by taking this leave.

It shouldn't matter, right? Aren't you still aiming to rock the boards and do well on your MS-III rotations? All you can do is keep an open mind and see what you're interested in come applications time.

I have no clue but my guess is that a LOA is going to look much better than failing miserably because you kept going and needed a break.