Leave of absence in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalstudent2222

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I was just wondering if it's possible to take a leave of absence from dental school after your first year. I don't think I've heard of many people who do this and was wondering if this is even allowed. Have you guys seen anyone who did and if so, what were their reasons?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I was just wondering if it's possible to take a leave of absence from dental school after your first year. I don't think I've heard of many people who do this and was wondering if this is even allowed. Have you guys seen anyone who did and if so, what were their reasons?
More importantly, what is your reason?

One of my classmates did this for a medical reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
Duration and purpose of leave will be the two most important questions you'll have to answer for your institution. Your academic standing may also come into play if you have a history of probation/remediation/discipline/etc.

Each school is different as are the reasons for leave, and you do have at least a limited set of rights under education law. As long as the reason for requesting leave is legitimate and purposeful, there may be a good opportunity to do so. Time off is possible, but the onus will be on you to catch up once you return. Alternatively, in certain circumstances your school may allow you to maintain program enrollment and rematriculate with the class below you, effectively extending your D-school by one year.

If you have loans and your leave is lengthy enough, your drop below full-time status may put you into repayment status. At the very least, if there is a delay in graduation, your loans will likely continue to accrue interest and result in a larger debt burden. Consult financial aid office if applicable as a part of your considerations.

Yes, but it must be for an approved reason. You can't just decide to leave.