Leave of absence -- justification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yohimbine1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Considering taking a LOA after 2nd year. Might not return honestly. The reason is to explore an entirely different career track and see if medicine is in fact right for me. I think it's not, but if I can preserve the option of returning just in case then I would prefer to do so.

Not sure how the school would perceive this though. Anyone know much about LOAs and how I should consider presenting this if I decide to do it? What % of students never return from them, is it sizeable?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, there are a couple of options to consider. If you already have something lined up for the next year (i.e., a job/internship/etc) I'd present it that way. "I have an opportunity to do "x" for the next year, and I'd like to take a one year LOA to pursue it." Bonus points if you can find a way to relate it back to medicine: "This would be useful to me when I come back because y."

If you don't have something, you might consider just telling them straight up that you need a year to consider your options. They probably don't want to have you as a miserable third year who doesn't care and doesn't want to be doing medicine. They don't want to have you as an alum who badmouths the school and medicine. So it might make sense to tell them what you're thinking. I don't think that after investing two years in you they'll kick you out for asking for a one year LOA. And if you decide to come back after spending a year pursuing other options, I think it might show that you're that much more serious and sure that medicine is the right choice for you.

Just my .02. Other may think differently.

Considering taking a LOA after 2nd year. Might not return honestly. The reason is to explore an entirely different career track and see if medicine is in fact right for me. I think it's not, but if I can preserve the option of returning just in case then I would prefer to do so.

Not sure how the school would perceive this though. Anyone know much about LOAs and how I should consider presenting this if I decide to do it? What % of students never return from them, is it sizeable?

I probably wouldn't give a "wanting to try another career" reason to your school, but you can certainly feel them out in terms of taking some time off for "personal reasons". As far as percent that doesn't return, I've seen a statistic that only about 4% of med students leave med school for nonacademic reasons. Hard to think all that many people get through two years of investment of time and debt and not see it through, particularly since the subsequent two years are nothing like the first two, and a lot of people like them better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hard to think all that many people get through two years of investment of time and debt and not see it through, particularly since the subsequent two years are nothing like the first two, and a lot of people like them better.
Well...I guess someone has to constitute that 4% of non-academic departures. I can't say this with certainty, but I'm anticipating liking years 3 and 4 markedly less than 1 and 2. 1 and 2 have been just like college, or better due to the consolidated and regular testing, rampant partying, and incessant class skipping. 3+4 are another story entirely. So I think to some extent I've been putting off a day of reckoning.

I've put in a significant investment of time and debt but am still young. I'm only looking at more investment in the coming years, in something I'm not passionate about. But I can understand when pragmatism sometimes trumps passion. I'm wondering--what constitutes "personal reasons"? I mean...if I guard them very closely as "personal", do schools just leave it at that?
If you already have something lined up for the next year (i.e., a job/internship/etc) I'd present it that way. "I have an opportunity to do "x" for the next year, and I'd like to take a one year LOA to pursue it." Bonus points if you can find a way to relate it back to medicine: "This would be useful to me when I come back because y."

...if you decide to come back after spending a year pursuing other options, I think it might show that you're that much more serious and sure that medicine is the right choice for you.
I am in the process of attempting to line something up. I've attempted in the past as well but not earnestly, and of course it's been tricky with school obligations always present. I don't think there is any way to relate it to medicine. It's something very different. Basically I would be counting on the second option if I decided to pursue the candid route. I'm still wondering how that would be received though. As it currently stands I do not want to come back. But things can change after testing other waters. Essentially I would become a non-traditional student.

I'm wondering--what constitutes "personal reasons"? I mean...if I guard them very closely as "personal", do schools just leave it at that?

Generally I'd think a school wouldn't pry as an institution, although you might get a call from anyone on the faculty who feels like they know you well. People take off time to have kids, for health reasons, to do research. But most schools have a finite period of time you are allowed to take off (most places require you to graduate in a certain number of years).

I'm currently on LOA (for actual "personal" and not career-related reasons) and my school has been nothing but supportive. It seems to me that my med school really wants me to succeed, and they are more than wiling to do what it takes to see that happen, even if it means that I have to step out for a bit.

The one thing that you should really think about is how you are going to present this to your school-is it a time to refocus, or a time to step out? What were your original reasons/passions for pursuing this career? As for me, I was required to have a pretty serious conversation with an advisor before taking my leave and also will have to speak before a committee upon my return to reassure them that this time was fruitful. In that light, you'd better figure out EXACTLY why you are doing this and what has led you to the decision, because they will ask.

If you want to chat further, PM me.

I don't really see anything wrong with being blatently honest. I mean, if you are up front about your reasons for this, perhaps someone at your school can give you some solid advice. Several of my classmates took time off at one point or another and everyone was supportive regardless of the reason.

Keep in mind that MS3-MS4 years are drastically different from the first two. You probably haven't had a real feel of what being a doctor is really like. Its not just about the basic sciences. I do not know how your school is set up, but if you can do a rotation or two and then take this LOA that might help with your decision. Or at least you wouldn't regret it as much if you get to the wards and realize this career still sucks and then leave. There's a lot you can do with an MD even if you don't practice clinical medicine, so the option of hanging on until graduation and then changing gears is still there too. no one makes you do a residency or enter the match.

Good luck with whatever you decide.