Leave of absence/Medical School Prerequities only 10 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nomoreentropy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have completed General Chemistry and am in the process of completing my second semester of Organic Chemistry and Biology. I have not taken Physics yet but will do so via correspondence in the future. Next week, I am planning on taking a leave of absence and entering the NBA draft.

How bad will a leave of absence be on my application? Also, Coach said that my classes erase after 10 years. Is there a way to avoid having to repeat these classes in the future?

Thank you for your help and God Bless.

Members don't see this ad.

summer courses will probably be your best bet. it really depends on how long you play pro ball for.

I have completed General Chemistry and am in the process of completing my second semester of Organic Chemistry and Biology. I have not taken Physics yet but will do so via correspondence in the future. Next week, I am planning on taking a leave of absence and entering the NBA draft.

How bad will a leave of absence be on my application? Also, Coach said that my classes erase after 10 years. Is there a way to avoid having to repeat these classes in the future?

Thank you for your help and God Bless.

Seriously? You are going to enter the NBA draft and you want to be a doctor? Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Enter the draft. Get picked. Play for a few years, and if you still want to go to medical school then go. I can't imagine any place turning you down even if your stats sucked.

If you find yourself doing well and making a good living then make a few donations to a school, do a little publicity for the, and you're a shoe in.

For others out there thinking about taking a leave of absence, think again. I learned today that i you take an indefinite leave of absence, the class must be completed within 5 years or it will turn to an E (Fail). In contrast, taking complete withdrawal allows you to retake the courses without time restrictions. I haven't been to class for the last 7 weeks so I don't want these grades showing up on my transcript. Thanks and God Bless.

OK, so we are thinking about 2 different things here.... classes that are incomplete and classes that are completed and on your transcript.

I have seen people who are in their 30s applying to med school with pre-req classes taken >10 years earlier. That's ok, particularly if the information was being used on the job (e.g. an engineer who took physics I and II as a freshman). Leaving school without having completed the class requirements is a different story. Withdraw and go back to retake the classes, particularly if you were out for weeks (March Madness??) Given the NBA season, you would need to look at summer school as an option to finish up the degree requirements or any pre-reqs. I've not seen an application from a b-ball player but I've seen other professional and semi-pro athletes so it can be done (get admitted after a pro career).