Leave of absence, stress, step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SierraMist14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a PGY-1 who is supposed to be starting anesthesia next month. I failed step 3 two months ago by 1 point. I re took the exam recently and I was so anxious I'm CERTAIN I failed it again. I don't think I have the strength or willpower (not to mention time) to retake this exam. I've been so stressed during my intern year that I need a break. I think I need a leave of absence....how do these work. And does anyone recommend? And will I still have a spot next year or will I have to reapply? I'm actually starting to think I'm just not cut out for this medicine thing.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Talk to your program director ASAP. They will lay out your options, not SDN.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,

I'm a PGY-1 who is supposed to be starting anesthesia next month. I failed step 3 two months ago by 1 point. I re took the exam recently and I was so anxious I'm CERTAIN I failed it again. I don't think I have the strength or willpower (not to mention time) to retake this exam. I've been so stressed during my intern year that I need a break. I think I need a leave of absence....how do these work. And does anyone recommend? And will I still have a spot next year or will I have to reapply? I'm actually starting to think I'm just not cut out for this medicine thing.

Thanks

Why are you now so anxious? What changed? Clearly to get in, you mustve passed step 1, 2ck/cs and many other tests you had in med school. Step 3 is the most meaningless of the 3 steps, and not the hardest to pass (the amt of work ppl put into studying for step 3 is pretty low). And why are you so stressed in intern year? Intern year is separate from your anesthesia years, so try not to be too stressed.. this isn't your career, the next 3 years will be.

And like above said, definitely talk to your program director ASAP. This is when it becomes important to be in a good program and have a good PD. If the PD is good, will let you take time off, and still have a spot, but delay your graduation (unless very short leave like 1 month). Though this will also depend on how large your program is and what volume you have. (like if you only have 4 residents in your class, you may not have a spot next year)