Leave of Absence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MayoorBust

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend has been put on a leave of absence not for academic reasons--however it says his return date is undetermined until they review his status and academic plan.

Can somebody tell me what this means. He withdrew from classes because his dean asked him to while he worked on a research year proposal. Did he get played?

Now, nobody answers his phone calls or returns his emails. Should he be worried :(

Members don't see this ad.

you need to give us the full story if you want advice.

Talking to him now.

He says that he was feeling burned out and asked for a leave of absence or a research year in January. They pushed him to keep going and stated that he could not take a leave of absence unless he had deans' blessing. He was reluctant to discuss what he felt was depression because of the stigma. His grades were fine but were starting to slip he thought it would be best to take a step back. they worked really hard to keep him in the class and push through the rest of the curriculum but he knew his health was suffering (physically and mentally) and he really wanted to take a step back. They pushed through the curriculum until he had a bit of mental break due to the medication he was on (for depression which actually HE says exacerbation his anxiety. He ended admitting to the admin about his depression and how he really just needed to take a step back. They assure him that they would help him out. However, they ended up just getting him a tutor and pushing him along the curriculum. Mentally and physically exhausted he went through the class but knew he would fail the final and discuss how he really wanted to take a step back and come back stronger this subsequent semester. He has been fighting for this since Jan and it was March.

They gave in and say he had to find a research mentor (which he had) and a project. He picked a mentor he was working and had a grant with. However, his mentor was very busy and never really help edit his drafts for research submission. His mentor went MIA for a month --and at this time he was put on a leave of absence. --He was recently approved for funding for everything and emailed his mentor but he has not received any word back from him. He received word last Monday-- He has not been perfect the stress of getting the proposal in caused him to degenerate further--losing more weight feeling like his medical school career was on the line.

I do not understand why his admin didn't just give him the time off like he asked... They seemed worried about same actions happening again. --- I mean it was only first year. But he really needed to handle the issues he was having. Staying simply made them worst .. smh.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's impossible to know from this vantage but bottom line is your friend should get in touch with the powers that be (the dean, I imagine)--in person if need be (office hrs, etc)--and make official his status, whether it be "on a research year" or "returning in August."

It's impossible to know from this vantage but bottom line is your friend should get in touch with the powers that be (the dean, I imagine)--in person if need be (office hrs, etc)--and make official his status, whether it be "on a research year" or "returning in August."

Yeah... That is the plan. He already set up a meeting for Wednesday. However, it seems really shady. I did not think his school would do this to their students. I mean they seemed invested in keeping him but not his best interests.

maybe medicine isn't the best career for him if he can't handle his shiznit. taking a "im stressed out so I need a psych break" in residency is pretty much career suicide. not the start of a good pattern.

maybe medicine isn't the best career for him if he can't handle his shiznit. taking a "im stressed out so I need a psych break" in residency is pretty much career suicide. not the start of a good pattern.

Yeah--- You are right. I'll let him know that.

He did not want his grades suffer so he wanted to get himself in check.

I am thinking the admin are thinking he is a pretty weak kid. Poor guy he should have just failed the classes.

Last edited:
He did not want his grades suffer so he wanted to get himself in check.

I am thinking the admin are thinking he is pretty weak kid.

To be honest, I think you should shut up and let him post if he wants advice. You are not doing a very good job.

I am doing him a favor. I am pretty sure things are not looking too good for him.

He talk to the deans and they seemed pissed that he even considered a LOA.

I feel bad for him.. I guess he should have deferred--oh well.

He should have just told them it was due to depression, sought the necessary help, and they would have given him a leave of absence. I think he needs to communicate his health situation to the Deans and then get the help he needs before trying to come back or do any research.

Members don't see this ad :)
He should have just told them it was due to depression, sought the necessary help, and they would have given him a leave of absence. I think he needs to communicate his health situation to the Deans and then get the help he needs before trying to come back or do any research.

He does not have health insurance

well this is officially a troll thread, all U.S. MD schools require health insurance.

Not if you are on a leave of absence. He tried to get under control during school it proved difficult.

Last edited:
He does not have health insurance

Where did he get his medications if he didn't have insurance? Regardless he should have told them before he failed or got close to failing when he was feeling overwhelmed by depression. If you are clinically depressed and on meds prescribed by a doctor then no Dean will tell you "sorry go suck it up."

Where did he get his medications if he didn't have insurance? Regardless he should have told them before he failed or got close to failing when he was feeling overwhelmed by depression. If you are clinically depressed and on meds prescribed by a doctor then no Dean will tell you "sorry go suck it up."

He did not want to be put on a leave of absence and lose his insurance. I'll let him know that he is probably out of luck

He did not want to be put on a leave of absence and lose his insurance. I'll let him know that he is probably out of luck

Don't go making him feel worse than he already feels now. Just tell him to get help with his issues and to go talk to his school openly and hope they give him some guidance/assistance.

As with most threads of this nature, there are clearly two sides of this story, and right now we're only getting one.

Hmmm...
I am an older student with family obligations. I did not have the time or energy to study like my classmates did. Yet, I never failed classes. Did I mention I had no medical background before med school? I mean, medical school is hard but not that hard.
To the OP's friend- Get your parents involved. Get the help you need.Life comes with many challenges. You need to learn to cope better.

Hmmm...
I am an older student with family obligations. I did not have the time or energy to study like my classmates did. Yet, I never failed classes. Did I mention I had no medical background before med school? I mean, medical school is hard but not that hard.
To the OP's friend- Get your parents involved. Get the help you need.Life comes with many challenges. You need to learn to cope better.

Yup.-- Now he is wondering if he should pack up and go home. Rather than wait it out-- It is seems like they are done with him.

--Get parents involved what does that mean????

Last edited:
As with most threads of this nature, there are clearly two sides of this story, and right now we're only getting one.

Yeah. I think the admin and his peers tried to help hit and reach out but he was in a bad place and was just bringing them down with him...He began isolating himself further. He just feel like he did not have the coping skills to deal with the abrupt change.--His brother dropped out of medical school too but was not a stellar student like him before arriving. Maybe due to the same reasons.. I really have nothing left to say to him bu to pack it up and go home.

Yeah. I think the admin and his peers tried to help hit and reach out but he was in a bad place and was just bringing them down with him...He began isolating himself further. He just feel like he did not have the coping skills to deal with the abrupt change.--His brother dropped out of medical school too but was not a stellar student like him before arriving. Maybe due to the same reasons.. I really have nothing left to say to him bu to pack it up and go home.

Why are you telling him what to do just stay out of it. Maybe his school will give him another chance, maybe they won't. You telling him that he's boned has 0 utility.

The situation sounds like it was just poorly handled on both sides, but let him work with the administration to salvage the situation and butt out.

Why are you telling him what to do just stay out of it. Maybe his school will give him another chance, maybe they won't. You telling him that he's boned has 0 utility.

The situation sounds like it was just poorly handled on both sides, but let him work with the administration to salvage the situation and butt out.

He has meeting with his dean tomorrow. He still trying for a research year. I am staying out of it. I am wishing him all the luck any advice?

Last edited:
He has meeting with his society master tomorrow. He still trying for a research year. I am staying out of it. I am wishing him all the luck any advice?

:thumbup:

Wish him luck and support him if ish goes bad. I hope it goes well for him.

:thumbup:

Wish him luck and support him if ish goes bad. I hope it goes well for him.

Well, his meeting went ok

His dean was worried about a relapse of depression he said that he was dealing with his brother dropping out of school and who subsequently got on drugs (he did not divulge this before-- because he did not think it was necessary) and he was dealing with anxiety. The deam asked how his mom felt about him dropping out and he said he mom wanted what was best for him and like most mothers gave unconditional love. He said he really wanted to be a physician for himself.

He wrote an email expressing how he would like to move forward from this situation and does not like reharsh over and over again.

The dean seemed very helpful in trying to help him out. There is an another meeting Monday and another June 3rd. We will see what happens! stay tuned.

Lets see if he gets a research year.

The dean is really worried about depression. He tried to reassure him it was due to his brother and dealing with that and he has now cut ties. He never divulge the drug issue before--but he decided he put everything out on the table that is bothering him.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I think you did the right thing by divulging that to your dean. Good luck with this.

I think you did the right thing by divulging that to your dean. Good luck with this.

My friend seem to get things worked out....I am getting sick of his calls though. Now, his PI is MIA and stuff. If it is not one thing it is another. I told him just to drink until something happens take his mind off the situation.

Hmmm...
I am an older student with family obligations. I did not have the time or energy to study like my classmates did. Yet, I never failed classes. Did I mention I had no medical background before med school? I mean, medical school is hard but not that hard

With all due respect, you can't expect your experience to be everyone else's. Not everyone deals with circumstances the same way. It's ridiculous to assume that just because you adjusted with no problem, everyone else should too.

A friend of mine struggled with depression for a long time before he finally quit school. He's happier now than he was in school, but he's dreamed of being a doctor most of his life. He still hopes to someday try again and if he does, he'll be a completely different person now that he's been through intensive therapy and has better coping skills.

Medical school is tough. We shouldn't judge someone for not being prepared to handle it.

My friend seem to get things worked out....I am getting sick of his calls though. Now, his PI is MIA and stuff. If it is not one thing it is another. I told him just to drink until something happens take his mind off the situation.

I know it's getting annoying, and coming here to vent is fine, but if you truly consider this person your friend, I would try my absolute hardest to not let this attitude get back to him/her. Your friend needs whatever support he can get right now. Just tell him (after this is all cleared up) that he owes you a case of beer/dinner/some other favor.

I know it's getting annoying, and coming here to vent is fine, but if you truly consider this person your friend, I would try my absolute hardest to not let this attitude get back to him/her. Your friend needs whatever support he can get right now. Just tell him (after this is all cleared up) that he owes you a case of beer/dinner/some other favor.

I think the OP owes himself that. not sure there's actually a friend =p