Leave of Absence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentoni

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
PM me; I've gone through a very similar situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the leave of absence likely to be repeated?

After you've returned from this leave of absence, do you think there's a chance you'll have to take another (LOA) down the line?

In that case I can't imagine this being a problem, especially if this was for a legitimate reason beyond your control.

My situation differed from yours in that I took a LOA during undergrad. It resulted in 3 W's, and I was always given the opportunity to explain the circumstances that led to what admissions saw on my transcripts. I also included an explanation in the supplemental applications, if possible.

I think you would only come across some difficulty if it happened more than once, assuming your grades look good otherwise.

Is the leave of absence likely to be repeated?

I had four leaves of absences and it took me 9 years to graduate from my undergrad curriculum. I explained the situation in my admissions essay and interview and was accepted to NYU Dental and another interview offer to Howard. The committee is very understanding when it comes to personal and family situations.

Reactions: 1 user
I had four leaves of absences and it took me 9 years to graduate from my undergrad curriculum. I explained the situation in my admissions essay and interview and was accepted to NYU Dental and another interview offer to Howard. The committee is very understanding when it comes to personal and family situations.
The committee is and should be understanding, but from the school's perspective any leave of absence means a loss of a spot not to mention revenue, which in the case of NYU at 100K may be petty cash for an institution that generates ~141 mil/year in tuition.