Leave of absence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shm15

Reaction score
Hi was struggling with residency lately, had some issues with performance, and program has offered me an optional leave of absence to help. I figured a short break might help just to refresh. But was just wondering if anyone has experience- if time off can help or can also impact me negatively? It seems though it would have to be reported in medical licensure but not exactly sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi was struggling with residency lately, had some issues with performance, and program has offered me an optional leave of absence to help. I figured a short break might help just to refresh. But was just wondering if anyone has experience- if time off can help or can also impact me negatively? It seems though it would have to be reported in medical licensure but not exactly sure.
it's a lot better than being fired and not graduating

figure out your issues and fix them so you can get back at it

Reactions: 1 user
Frankly, step 1 is to figure out how "optional" this is. If the underlying message is that you need to take an LOA or you're going to wind up on probation the next time you come under scrutiny, then take the LOA and come back and work harder than everyone else to pull yourself up to at least passable.

Frankly, step 1 is to figure out how "optional" this is. If the underlying message is that you need to take an LOA or you're going to wind up on probation the next time you come under scrutiny, then take the LOA and come back and work harder than everyone else to pull yourself up to at least passable.
To clarify: They want improvement but offered the LOA and completely up to me to use- they didn't suggest either way..
But would a LOA impact my career in any way? Or could only help..

Being in trouble in your training program is the big problem that can affect your career. Use the LOA if it will help your situation.

Reactions: 1 users
Being in trouble in your training program is the big problem that can affect your career. Use the LOA if it will help your situation.
Thanks aprogdirector
Im hoping it would help but hard to know certainly, but don't think it'll make things worse. Would you say though anything to lose here by taking loa or only to gain?
Thanks!

Thanks aprogdirector
Im hoping it would help but hard to know certainly, but don't think it'll make things worse. Would you say though anything to lose here by taking loa or only to gain?
Thanks!

If you can take it, come back, and start correcting the issues, then it will help. If you take the break, come back, and are worse than before, well....

Thanks aprogdirector
Thanks!

You're asking a question that's very difficult for us to answer. The answer is that it depends on what the issue is and what you do with the LOA. When you apply for your medical license, there's a question about whether or not you've had a break in training. You will have to answer yes and then explain why and what you did with your time.

Now if you take leave and are able to go back and be a great resident resident, the state board may interrogate you about it, but ultimately, no one will care. But if you return to work and end up failing or needing to repeat a year or needing another leave, it won't look good and could mean many more questions.

What exactly are you struggling with and what is your plan for your leave?

You're asking a question that's very difficult for us to answer. The answer is that it depends on what the issue is and what you do with the LOA. When you apply for your medical license, there's a question about whether or not you've had a break in training. You will have to answer yes and then explain why and what you did with your time.

Now if you take leave and are able to go back and be a great resident resident, the state board may interrogate you about it, but ultimately, no one will care. But if you return to work and end up failing or needing to repeat a year or needing another leave, it won't look good and could mean many more questions.

What exactly are you struggling with and what is your plan for your leave?

Was not doing well on rotations in general and was given the option to help in any way.

Will medical board care if was for personal reasons?

Was not doing well on rotations in general and was given the option to help in any way.

There is no such thing as "personal reasons" when it comes to the board. You have to explain it, even if your explanation is simply burnout (and there's nothing wrong with that, but you will most likely have to answer questions about it).

You're getting too far into the weeds here. Yes, if you take an LOA you're going to have to answer yes to an interruption in your training. But that's not a big deal--you say you took an LOA, came back and completed your residency satisfactorily, and graduated. Nobody's going to bat an eye at that.

Obviously, not taking an LOA and eventually getting kicked out of residency will be a major problem.

Reactions: 2 users
At this point in time, do you have a choice??

Will an LOA actually help you fix your performance problem? Don't just take one because you can.

Reactions: 1 users
A point of clarification to those saying you have to report a LOA.

If you take an LOA of, say, 2 weeks, and it is treated as sick time, but it extends your training program, do you have to report it? What if you took 8-12 weeks of maternity leave? Does that count as a break in training?

If you take an LOA of, say, 2 weeks, and it is treated as sick time, but it extends your training program, do you have to report it? What if you took 8-12 weeks of maternity leave? Does that count as a break in training?

Someone adhering to the word of the application would say that in some states, you'd have to report ANY LOA, but realistically, if you take 2 weeks as sick time and it doesn't extend training, most people wouldn't report it because it's no different than going on vacation for 2 weeks. However, if it did extend training, that has to be explained. If you graduate 2 weeks later than your peers, it will likely raise red flags so you need to provide some explanation for that. You should report maternity leave as it's pretty standard and most people do report it without difficulty. You just put "maternity leave" under why there was a disruption. No one bats an eye, at least in my state.

Basically if you take any time off more than the guaranteed vacation that your program offers OR you take time off that extends training, you should report.

Yes you have to report it as a gap in training. No one cares as long as it's not for something like jail time or the like.

Yes you have to report it as a gap in training. No one cares as long as it's not for something like jail time or the like.

It's not that black and white. If someone took a LOA, even if it's 2 weeks, due to, say, anxiety, in a state that hasn't heard of the ADA, don't be surprised when it becomes a "big deal" and the board wants all your psych records released. This is not to suggest you should lie, but just know that going in. States really need to be challenged on this nonsense.

It's not that black and white. If someone took a LOA, even if it's 2 weeks, due to, say, anxiety, in a state that hasn't heard of the ADA, don't be surprised when it becomes a "big deal" and the board wants all your psych records released. This is not to suggest you should lie, but just know that going in. States really need to be challenged on this nonsense.

I mean, you don’t have to agree with it but, at least in my state, it IS that black and white.

A question on our state licensing questionnaires literally asks “have you had any gaps in training or work as a physician” and to explain. It goes on to explain what a “gap” is.

Not saying I necessarily agree, I just try to play by the rules. If you have to produce additional documentation... either you do so or you don’t get licensed in your state. Choose your path.

I mean, you don’t have to agree with it but, at least in my state, it IS that black and white.

A question on our state licensing questionnaires literally asks “have you had any gaps in training or work as a physician” and to explain. It goes on to explain what a “gap” is.

Not saying I necessarily agree, I just try to play by the rules. If you have to produce additional documentation... either you do so or you don’t get licensed in your state. Choose your path.

I was replying to this part "No one cares as long as it's not for something like jail time or the like."

It's not that black and white that "no one cares." Some states will care was my point.