Leaving a club and then returning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fakesmile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a member of a student society from September 2009 to April 2010. The club is recruiting members again and now I want to become its member again. Ever since I quit, I've been regretting my decision because I really had no reason to quit.. the people were great and the club does some great things for the community. But I'm afraid what they would think of me if I do return and it will be very awkward and uncomfortable for me and them, because how I left the club was not pretty and it probably left them with a bad last impression of me. Basically, for my last four months (Jan to April 2010), I attended no monthly meeting (one with prior notice and remaining three without notice), and replied to no emails from club executives. During that time, I was going through what was one of my worst semesters, and I was unsure if I really wanted to stay in the club. After the silence/hiatus of four months, I ended my membership as an event coordinator by suddenly emailing to everyone to let them know that I won't be able to be part of the group anymore because of change in my circumstances, and the president and two executives replied me saying they are sad to see me go and they hope my situation will settle down. Now I am hesitating whether I should email the president to express my interest in rejoining, but I keep worrying about what they will think of me, I'm also guilty of what I did to them and how I left the club, and my pride would hurt a lot to return because some members might think I'm a loser to have left like that only to rejoin eight months later. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, if the executive team is willing to take you on, they're willing to take you on. My guess would be that since you left on dubious ('though not awful) terms, they would probably be hesitant to give you authority/responsibility at this pt; however, this does not mean they wouldn't want you back as a member. On the contrary, they probably would like to have you return as a rank and file member and, perhaps, after showing some significant commitment, further responsibility might be a conversation to have w/ the club leadership when the time is right.

Even if you did come back, wouldn't you feel awkward?

Okay, first of all, how the hell do you resign from a school club?

Boxxy-YOUS-BE-TROLLIN.jpg

Okay, first of all, how the hell do you resign from a school club?
I never said it's a school club. It's community-based, with members from different local universities. Gosh, I just hate people like you who rashly start calling people they are trolling. Also, by resigning, what I actually meant was resigning from a position. I changed the title just to be more clear.

OP, if the executive team is willing to take you on, they're willing to take you on. My guess would be that since you left on dubious ('though not awful) terms, they would probably be hesitant to give you authority/responsibility at this pt; however, this does not mean they wouldn't want you back as a member. On the contrary, they probably would like to have you return as a rank and file member and, perhaps, after showing some significant commitment, further responsibility might be a conversation to have w/ the club leadership when the time is right.
I totally agree with all of what you've said. I guess my next step would be to email the president, if I really want to be part of the club again regardless of awkwardness and some possible damage to my pride, etc.

Even if you did come back, wouldn't you feel awkward?
That's the problem, which is one of the things keeping me from just emailing to the president about my intention to rejoin.

Last edited:
dude just email the execs of the club and explain the situation

sounds like you bought yourself a one-way ticket to hosedville. gg.