Leaving an MS Program

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Lebesgue, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Lebesgue

Lebesgue Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm currently pursuing an MS, and if I get accepted will leave the program before completing it. My advisor is fine with it, in fact he is writing one of my letters of recommendation. Does anyone know how medical schools view this situation and does it place me at a disadvantage or an advantage?

Has anybody heard of someone in my particular situation? Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nero

nero Senior Member

dont think med schools allow this..............not positive though, i think they require you to finish your MS program before starting

nero

4. pillowhead

pillowhead Senior Member

from what i've head, med schools can actually retract your acceptance letter if you do not complete your degree whether that is masters or bachelors. i would definitely talk to the individual med school before even thinking about doing that

5. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile

Resident [Any Field]
    it depends on the school. i left a phd program and no school yet has had any problems with it; i've had 2 acceptances. however, i left the program before i applied to med school. *none* of them say you have to finish your grad degree - you just can't be jointly enrolled. if you're planning on graduating, you'll need to do that before entering med school. (schools like tulane require a letter from the head of your dept saying you intend to graduate and on what date) but if you're going to drop out, you have to do that before you enter school as well. you can't play the "i'll drop out if i get into med school" thing - it won't fly w/any school, in my opinion. if you leave grad school, do so before you apply. and make sure you are prepared to talk talk talk talk about your decision to do so. that subject has comprised about 60% of my time spent in interviews.

and really, if your advisor knows you're planning on leaving, and you're not really wanting to be in the grad program anyway, then why are you sticking around? leave it already.

6. lady bug

If you are enrolled in a 'degree granting program', most med schools would want you to finish it before matriculating and I'm pretty sure your admission is contingent upon you finishing the program. However, if you do a post-bac program, especially a non-structured post-bac program, you could probably drop out of it with no problem. Whatever you do, call the schools to make sure they are ok with it. It is just too risky to drop the MS program if it will hurt your chances from an admissions standpoint.

7. MD2b06

MD2b06 Senior Member

I was in a combined BS/MS program during college. It allowed me to take grad classes and have them count towards both my BS and MS degrees. Anyways, prior to applying to medical school, I notified the department that I would no longer be pursuing my MS after graduating with my bachelor's. I could've finished both in 4 years and a summer if I really wanted to, but I decided that taking 8 months off before starting med school was much more alluring so I dropped the grad program. Med schools don't like to accept students from other graduate programs until they complete their degree b/c this is considered "poaching."

8. Green912

Attending Physician
    I depends on the school. I know someone who got accepted to an Ohio school and began before finishing his MS. I would certainly go ahead with the goal of finishing. If a school asks, tell them that you plan to finish before matriculating, and of course follow through with the statement. If it's obvious that you won't be able to then call back and ask. I'm half way done with my MS and have all intentions to finish even if I get accepted. For me it's a sense of accomplishment in its own right.