Leaving Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlexanderJ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows of anyone who matched in anesthesiology, but ultimately decided not to go into anesthesiology during their intern year. Were they able to get into another specialty right after their intern year, or were they committed to do at least one year in anesthesiology before leaving?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes,
One classmate matched at St Vincent's 2 years ago, did a prelim medicine year at LSU, and decided to stay there.
Another friend matched at U of Washington, did prelim year at U of Utah, is now in his CA-1 year at U of Washington, and is leaving to go back to U of Utah for medicine. A cool southern cali guy that hates the U of washington program so much he is going back to medicine. If you like seattle, go to VM, another classmate is there and loves it.

You can pretty much always change at the end of a year - (it's changing in the middle of a year that is a problem). You sign a contract for a one-year time period. Of course, it is generally not appreciated by the program, who is expecting you to fill that spot.

I am not sure if you are asking b/c you are uncertain as to whether or not you want to do anesthesiology and you are wondering if you can change to another field after your internship. After your internship in either medicine or surgery you will probably be eternally thankful that you had the foresight to choose anesthesiology!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a resident on my psychiatry rotation that switched from anesthesiology. Anesthesia to psych...that's gotta be the oddest switch I've ever seen.

Originally posted by circleK
Anesthesia to psych...that's gotta be the oddest switch I've ever seen.
Not really. Both just medicate the patient and go on about their day :p

Would there be HICFA issues (resident salary issues after switching to another specialy) if one left Anesthesia during the intern year?

I totally agree with with you womansurg. Good point! :clap: