Leaving interview day early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainPoopyPants

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Money is pretty tight for me, and the cheapest package I could find for one of my upcoming interviews would require me to leave early in order to catch my flight. Obviously after the actual interviews, but before some of the informational talks. Is this something that is acceptable, or would it be RIP for me if I did this?

Members don't see this ad.

Money is pretty tight for me, and the cheapest package I could find for one of my upcoming interviews would require me to leave early in order to catch my flight. Obviously after the actual interviews, but before some of the informational talks. Is this something that is acceptable, or would it be RIP for me if I did this?
This is a bad idea unless these are entirely optional.

Reactions: 5 users
Schools understand that this can be the case and if it is like my school the actual decision makers are removed from the interview logistics team which may know that you left early.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Two types of people leave interviews early: folks with your situation, and others who quickly decide they are not interested.

I wouldn’t take a chance at being confused for the latter.

Reactions: 2 users
Two types of people leave interviews early: folks with your situation, and others who quickly decide they are not interested.

I wouldn’t take a chance at being confused for the latter.

That's a good reason to be up-front, at the start of the day, or even earlier, to give the person who is handling the scheduling of the day know that you'll need to leave early to catch a [time] flight out of [airport]. This is not an uncommon situation.

Reactions: 7 users
That's a good reason to be up-front, at the start of the day, or even earlier, to give the person who is handling the scheduling of the day know that you'll need to leave early to catch a [time] flight out of [airport]. This is not an uncommon situation.

I would personally be uncomfortable with that course of action being confused by some as a lack of interest, or poor planning.

OP, I have no supporting evidence here beyond my intuitions.

I would personally be uncomfortable with that course of action being confused by some as a lack of interest, or poor planning.

I understand your opinion, but what hurts my chances more: leaving the interview early or not going to the interview at all? Because at this point I'm going to have to either choose not to attend some of my interviews or find the cheapest packages possible.

Reactions: 1 user
I understand your opinion, but what hurts my chances more: leaving the interview early or not going to the interview at all? Because at this point I'm going to have to either choose not to attend some of my interviews or find the cheapest packages possible.

If it’s between not-going and leaving early, of course you should just leave early.

If it’s between forking out some extra cash or not, I would personally find a way to shell out the money.

Reactions: 1 user
To put it another way, you are getting ready to enter $250,000 of debt. The only way you will be able to have that wonderful opportunity will be to go an additional $3,000 into debt. **** sucks. I know I saved $6K over two years thinking it would be enough. $9K later and here we are...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I had an optional financial aid presentation for a med school that I skipped to make my flight since I figured I would worry about it if I got in. I now attend that school so it didn't make a huge difference for me, but if the talks aren't optional I would try to attend.

Reactions: 3 users