Leaving Investment Banking for Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shipit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

After working a year at Morgan Stanley I have decided to quit my job and pursue my dream to become a doctor now that I am more mature and ready to handle the work load.

The problem is I need to go back to school to complete the below classes;

Chem 1&2
Bio 1&2
Physics 1&2
Calc
Organic Chem

I have already completed my undergrad degree in finance and need to return to school, but I wish to locate back to a school in NY not maryland where I currently live.

Has anyone done this before or know the process? Do I just apply as a undergrad to a specific school then complete my 8 classes, then apply for med school after my MCATS?
Or are there programs out there for people like me. I'm pretty confused about this. Thanks for the responses in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Post this in non-traditional forum. You will actually get serious responses from people trying to help you.

Hey everyone,

After working a year at Morgan Stanley I have decided to quit my job and pursue my dream to become a doctor now that I am more mature and ready to handle the work load.

Chem 1&2
Bio 1&2
Physics 1&2
Calc
Organic Chem

I have already completed my undergrad degree in finance and need to return to school, but I wish to locate back to a school in NY not maryland where I currently live.

Has anyone done this before or know the process? Do I just apply as a undergrad to a specific school then complete my 8 classes, then apply for med school after my MCATS?
Or are there programs out there for people like me. I'm pretty confused about this. Thanks for the responses in advance.
You can take classes informally or as a candidate for a second bachelors degree that you wouldn't be expected to finish, or alternatively, engage in a formal Postbaccalaureate Program meant for a career changer who needs to complete the prerequisites.

Post-Baccalaureate Programs Forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=71
Searchable database: http://services.aamc.org/postbac/
Dr Midlife List: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=640302

IMO, the best way to do this is to apply to take classes informally (as a non-degree seeking student) at a local college, or to apply for a bachelor's degree you never intend to finish. Formal post-bacc programs are very expensive and, I believe, unnecessary.

You will also need Organic Chem II, by the way (though a handful of schools accept Biochem instead). Calc is only required for a few schools and isn't needed for the MCAT, so it should be your lowest priority. If you do decide to take Calc, you could always take it during your application/gap year. You don't need to have every pre-req finished before you apply.

Along with taking these classes, you'll also need to start gaining experiences that show that you know what you're getting into. Shadowing and volunteering in a hospital or clinic are things you should absolutely do. You might also want to add some sort of community volunteering unless you already have a long history of charity work.

Finally, consider which MCAT you want to take (new or old). The current (old) MCAT will be offered until January 2015. The new MCAT covers additional topics in the social sciences, so if you end up taking the MCAT in the spring of 2015 or later, you might want to take psych and sociology as well.

Cool stuff (;
No programs out there.
Just take the classes; no big deal.
Take the MCAT; no big deal.
Apply.

Maybe OP is an elite I-banker that is oblivious to the world around them? Just a random thought.

Maybe he got tired of money.

OP: To become a poor indebted doctor, either enroll in a post baccalaureate premedical program like on of these: https://www.google.com/#q=post baccalaureate premedical program or take the prerequisite classes wherever you want independently. You will need to take them for credit and get good grades. After you've taken the prerequisites, study for the MCAT (that's singular, not the "MCATs").

Also, I know this is a little off topic, but I know people who want to do the opposite and go from pre-med to investment banking. Could you share some quick pros and cons about investment banking? PM me if you want. Thanks and good luck!

Not sure why everyone is being so flippant towards OP, but I followed a similar path, leaving banking at JPMorgan to pursue medicine. It took a lot of research and help through SDN to find out what I needed to do.

Your best option is to do a formal postbac. If you have a solid GPA, which I hope you do considering you were in ibanking, you would be a perfect candidate. Bryn Mawr, Goucher and Johns Hopkins all offer the best programs available for postbacs. There is also the option of doing the postbac yourself, while cheaper, you lose out on the advising and opportunities that a lot of the formal postbacs have to offer.

In my opinion, the formal postbacs are worth the money, especially for someone coming from banking and likely has a bit of cash saved up anyway. The advising is unparalleled as compared to a normal uni pre-med committee and there are resources that can't be found at other places to help you get into medical school. Postbacs also tend to have very good relationships with many adcoms, which can afford some more 'clout' to your application.

So first and foremost, thank you to all those who provided insight to my question. As for those who had a smartass response do me a favor and read the below.

Why do people come to forums? For fast, knowledgeable responses by people who care. You see, that way people like myself, don't have to spend a couple of hours on the internet looking for the correct answer where it can just be given to me in the matter of minutes. I know, I know, technonolgy is amazing these days!

The greatest part of it all, I have now just saved 2 hours of my life which was used for much better things such as sleeping, eating, and enjoying life!!!

trolls.

Thanks again everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Chem 1&2
Bio 1&2
Physics 1&2
Calc
Organic Chem

Why would you leave a perfectly happy, successful, and lucrative future to inundate yourself with debt in a meaningless career?

Why would you leave a perfectly happy, successful, and lucrative future to inundate yourself with debt in a meaningless career?

Would you just hurry up and get banned already.

Reactions: 1 user

Why such hostility? I'm simply helping the OP to avoid making a disastrous mistake. OP, why do you dream of being a doctor? Do you mistakenly believe you'd be improving the world? Because you wouldn't. Don't worry. The world won't stop if you don't become a doctor. If you don't, a 3.7 GPA, state school biology major who needs it more than you do will simply take your place and do everything you would have done.

Stick with I-banking. You will thank me.

:caution:
Why such hostility? I'm simply helping the OP to avoid making a disastrous mistake. OP, why do you dream of being a doctor? Do you mistakenly believe you'd be improving the world? Because you wouldn't. Don't worry. The world won't stop if you don't become a doctor. If you don't, a 3.7 GPA, state school biology major who needs it more than you do will simply take your place and do everything you would have done.

Stick with I-banking. You will thank me.
:caution::sendoff:

The evidence is limited, but I can't help but wonder if disturbia and shipit may some how "know" each other...

The evidence is limited, but I can't help but wonder if disturbia and shipit may some how "know" each other...

perhaps but let's not jump to conclusions just yet.

also if disturbia worships ibanking so much, why doesn't he/she go into it...? Maybe disturbia is not "smart enough" to enter such a field and is bitter? Hmm...

morgan stanley doesn't have an ib office in maryland.

I have a friend who actually left an investment banking position, and is currently applying this year. He originally left that job to work another one in business, but not in the financial industry. He hated the lifestyle of investment banking.

Therefore, if you believe that you'll have way more time in medical school, you may be mistaken. Medical students go through hell too studying countless hours.

Sure some people might see medicine as a more noble field, while some medical students may also see investment banking as being greener grass on the other side of the fence.

A perfectly happy investment banker? What an oxymoron. I agree that they have lucrative futures, but for what? Spending 120 hours a week in the office isn't something that'd make me perfectly happy. Investment bankers are the epitome of "highly trained monkeys". At least surgeons enjoy what they're doing. Show me just one investment banker who enjoys all the grunt work they're forced to do, oh and all the ass kissing. Most investment bankers only last as analysts and associates at best. The ones that have any common sense than try getting into private equity, venture capital, or hedge fund firms. What an amazing career it is to be an investment banker :laugh: After all that, your average doctors has it much better than your average investment banker. Even managing directors work long hours and barely get to enjoy all that money they made. Like I said, doctors have it superb compared to investment bankers.

a perfectly happy investment banker? What an oxymoron. I agree that they have lucrative futures, but for what? Spending 120 hours a week in the office isn't something that'd make me perfectly happy. Investment bankers are the epitome of "highly trained monkeys". At least surgeons enjoy what they're doing. Show me just one investment banker who enjoys all the grunt work they're forced to do, oh and all the ass kissing. Most investment bankers only last as analysts and associates at best. The ones that have any common sense than try getting into private equity, venture capital, or hedge fund firms. What an amazing career it is to be an investment banker :laugh: After all that, your average doctors has it much better than your average investment banker. Even managing directors work long hours and barely get to enjoy all that money they made. Like i said, doctors have it superb compared to investment bankers.

+1

Do you ever read the news? Investment banking is hardly the key to a secure future right now.

https://www.google.com/search?q=inv...&ie=UTF-8#psj=1&q=wall+street+layoffs&spell=1

A perfectly happy investment banker? What an oxymoron. I agree that they have lucrative futures, but for what? Spending 120 hours a week in the office isn't something that'd make me perfectly happy. Investment bankers are the epitome of "highly trained monkeys". At least surgeons enjoy what they're doing. Show me just one investment banker who enjoys all the grunt work they're forced to do, oh and all the ass kissing. Most investment bankers only last as analysts and associates at best. The ones that have any common sense than try getting into private equity, venture capital, or hedge fund firms. What an amazing career it is to be an investment banker :laugh: After all that, your average doctors has it much better than your average investment banker. Even managing directors work long hours and barely get to enjoy all that money they made. Like I said, doctors have it superb compared to investment bankers.

The good news is the troll was destroyed. So we don't have to listen to their inflammatory nonsense. Though all of your points were pretty spot on.

Hey everyone,

Chem 1&2
Bio 1&2
Physics 1&2
Calc
Organic Chem

Hmm..... wouldn't the "more mature" use terminology baring a connotation of maturity, positivity i.e. plan, goal instead of "problem," especially for what seems as though a mature, positive epiphany of some sort had recently occurred for the OP?