leaving LCSW-track for PhD or PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackSkirtTetra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently on track for my MSW, after which I planned to get my LCSW. I am in my first year of a three-year-plus-one-summer program meant for people who also work full-time, which fits me perfectly.

However, I am finding that the social work perspective is rather broad, and rather oriented toward person-in-environment, whereas I am more interested in one-on-one, micro-level psychopathology.

Somewhere in my head I am considering withdrawing from my MSW program at a convenient time, waiting a year or two, and applying for a PhD or PsyD program.

I know what I'd need: good grades (which I have), clear goals, and good references. What I'm curious about is whether other folks here have done this.

I guess what I need is proverbial "moral support" as I decide what I should do. Needless to say, most people in my MSW program don't understand why I'd want to do this...there's a part of me that still thinks getting my LCSW would be easier (and I think it's right), and I could even do micro-level, one-on-one work with the LCSW, but the "throwing away" of one year of work and of all it took to get accepted in the applications process concerns me.

How do I know this is not just a case of the grass being greener on the other side?

I am open to any and all feedback...

Members don't see this ad.

What is your goal of pursuing doctoral training? It is a looooong road if you aren't 100% committed. In addition to the things you mentioned above, you'll also need research experience. You'll also need to have an identified area of research interest.

Reactions: 1 user
I would encourage you to finish what you started... How do you think an applications committee will view quitting a degree program one year after you began it?

While it's certainly possible to do what you say you want to do, what is it that you won't be able to do with the MSW that you feel Ph.D. or Psy.D. training will prepare you for?

Plenty of trained counselors (very talented ones, I might add) have an MSW and work one on one with people providing individual therapy. Now, if you came here and stated, I wanted to do assessments or I need to have a Psy.D. or Ph.D. to get x job. Then by all means, but that's not really the case from what you are telling us.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think, as others have already alluded and explicitly mentioned, it depends entirely on your personal goals and where you want to go.

IMHO, I enrolled in a MSW-Clinical track program after getting rejected to 6 PhD programs a couple of years ago. I had the same mindset as most, MSW=LCSW=Private Practice. I cannot stress how much I disagree with this sentiment. Yes, some LCSWs are great therapists, however, those are the ones who independently pursue further clinical training and specialization. A MSW as it is, should NOT be a terminal clinical degree (just my opinion).

After my first semester I decided I was going to leave and transfer to a MA Psychology program, and then apply to PhD/PsyD programs. Things have slightly changed (had to move to another city), but I am in a MA Psych program with the same plan. I highly recommend if the SW field is not your cup of tea (social work does NOT equal psychology), then transfer to another MA program and then apply (or directly to a doctoral program)

I know there's going to be a lot of feedback and suggestions to just stick it out and go the LCSW route. Some clinical programs are really good and strong to do that, others severely lacking- so I would say really think about the program and what a Psych doctoral program could offer. Just to vent: my MSW program had an adjunct prof (taught there regularly) who docked me 5% off a paper because it was printed double-sided. Enough said?

Feel free to PM me if you want to further discuss my transition with SW vs. Psych and experiences.

Thank you guys. You've given me a lot of great feedback. I don't know the exact answer to most of the questions. They are good questions.

From the way I look at it now (and of course I could be wrong), it seems Psychological (PsyD/PhD) training does not involve the whole social environment aspect that Social Work training does. At my school, the "social" aspect is very, very heavily stressed, and it seems like nearly everybody is macro-focused. Even the specializations, which would seem to be more micro-focused, are not. I took a 500-level Gerontology class as an elective last fall and was surprised at how macro that could be. There was very little talk about individuals and caring for them in any kind of setting. It was all policy, policy, policy.

Even in my more clinical classes (like Psychopathology I and II)I feel like I am learning how to address things on a big scale, the group- or community- or activism-level, not with an individual person. This concerns me because my goal is to work in psychotherapy with individuals.

That's my biggest concern, but after reading this responses I'm wondering if it wouldn't actually be better to switch to another MSW program. I know it's not looked upon favorably to switch programs, because it can show a lack of commitment and planning, but to be honest when I was researching graduate school I did not even know to take these issues into account. I was pretty ignorant and I still got accepted by all the ones to which I applied, somehow.

IMHO, I enrolled in a MSW-Clinical track program after getting rejected to 6 PhD programs a couple of years ago. I had the same mindset as most, MSW=LCSW=Private Practice. I cannot stress how much I disagree with this sentiment. Yes, some LCSWs are great therapists, however, those are the ones who independently pursue further clinical training and specialization. A MSW as it is, should NOT be a terminal clinical degree (just my opinion).
I guess the bottom line is that with the training I am getting from my MSW, I do not feel it is making me competent to practice as a therapist. I feel competent to practice as a community organizer or supervisor of a non-profit, or even perhaps a teacher of some sort, because what those folks do does not directly impact (negatively or positively) a client's health the way that a therapist can.

After my first semester I decided I was going to leave and transfer to a MA Psychology program, and then apply to PhD/PsyD programs. Things have slightly changed (had to move to another city), but I am in a MA Psych program with the same plan. I highly recommend if the SW field is not your cup of tea (social work does NOT equal psychology), then transfer to another MA program and then apply (or directly to a doctoral program)
How do you like the MA Psych program compared to your MSW program? Do you find that it's more individual-focused and less-broad than the MSW?

Last edited:
I know that I've know several MSW's who got postgraduate training in individual and family psychotherapy. These folks often ended up working at a MH organization while having a private practice.

I know EXACTLY what you're experiencing, BST. I started graduate school in an MSW program, but dropped out in the first semester because it wasn't meeting my needs. I totally agree that it is very political and policy oriented, with much fieldwork time spent doing "grunt work" before you even get to taste therapy.

I went straight to a MA Psych program--one that was the best of all worlds, because faculty do research and it is also a licensable degree. I didn't have a bachelor's in psych, so my intention was to explore. I did a thesis, got lots of research experience, took awesome classes (research, assessment, and therapy only!), and I am doing a practicum now. I've learned from psychologists, many of whom were both tenured (or tenure-track) PhD faculty or PsyDs, not masters level adjuncts. I'm applying to doctoral programs with this well-rounded background. I am happy with my decision, even though it was disorienting for a while.

The only thing I'd say that kinda sucks is that the LCSW is preferred by some employers where I live. It's purely political, as the license as been around longer than the LCPC. LCSWs would rather work with and hire other LSW/LCSWs. However, the LCPCs seem to prefer their own, as well.

I also remember a classmate of mine, in the MSW program, who talked about wanting to pursue her PsyD in the future. So, it could really work any way you want to design it. I do hear you, though, on wanting to take the classes you enjoy.

Even if I didn't enjoy the classes, I would still want to take classes which were relevant to my career. It's so frustrating. My MSW program prepares people for all sorts of things--but not therapy. And that's what a lot of people go out and do, fresh out of grad school. It's scary to think about!

My MSW program prepares people for all sorts of things--but not therapy. And that's what a lot of people go out and do, fresh out of grad school. It's scary to think about!

I would tend to agree with you about the scariness. But take solace in the fact that they likely get a clinical placement for fieldwork/internship, and even if they don't they can't just go straight into private practice--they learn as they go. Even so, you're right, it's not very good training.

Hi BST. I agree with Psychadelic, and had similar experiences (though not identical--amongst other things, I had a BA in psych) . I'd really caution you about switching to another MSW program. My program was very well-regarded, and reputed to be very clinically focused. The students I interviewed prior to enrolling all told me it was wonderful! Once I got there, I discovered that my practicum was grunt work which could have been accomplished without a high school degree, half of my profs were adjuncts who were probably earning less to teach the class than I was to paying to take it, and the curriculum was laughable. I got out for a number of reasons, but one key piece of information was that I grilled a number of second year students in the mental health concentration, and to a person, they told me that if I went on the second year curriculum would just be more of the same. We were paying through the nose for a credential and an alumni/professional network. But keep in mind that I am fairly cynical about the academic world, and believe that to be true of most non-STEM graduate "training" (including my own program now).

I was really hesitant to leave because of the "finish what you start" mentality, and did in fact get that advice from some. I just couldn't stomach staying given the price tag for the degree. I split. I went on to get accepted to a social science (not clin psych) doctoral program, so leaving wasn't an issue for me in that regard. Of course, I didn't get a top funding package within my cohort, so perhaps my untimely departure accounts for that. Still, I beat out 200+ individuals for one of 8 spots, so leaving the MSW wasn't the death knell for me either. The key is to construct a compelling personal statement narrative about your change in direction.

BST, you and I tangled on the masters forum last summer over the notion of approaching education with a "consumer mentality." At the time, I tried to impress upon you that the "consumer mentality" is a sore subject amongst instructors and TAs; we associate it with entitled attitudes and downright bratty behavior on the part of students. But now would actually be a good time to harness that consumer mentality. Are you getting what you want out of your current program?

I guess the bottom line is that with the training I am getting from my MSW, I do not feel it is making me competent to practice as a therapist

I don't sense that the MSW if for you. A lot of the information on sdn is priceless, but the culture of fear (prevalent amongst the grad school-bound psych majors at my undergrad institution as well) is not one of the strengths of these forums. I have to tread lightly here, because I'm not in fact in a psych program presently, and am hoping to make that move myself, but it sometimes seems that there is a master list of "dos and don'ts" for psych applicants, and any deviation from that list spells irreparable disaster. (i.e. You must publish, but don't publish too much in the wrong places; you must be prepared to move regardless of your personal circumstances, etc.). I'd caution you against making choices because of fear. If you are young, wealthy, and patient, maybe the right thing to do is to stick it out. But it doesn't sound like your current education is furthering your goals or fulfilling you. One of the full time social workers at my practicum was an alum who loved our school--enough that she was still paying for it a decade later. Unless a magic fairy is going to rescue you from that fate, why not say screw the sunk costs and move on with your life?

Thank you.

The main reason why I don't "jump ship" right now is that I don't have a clear idea as to where I would go and what I would do immediately thereafter. To be honest, I don't know how I would feed myself, since I'm getting about 30% of my income through loans right now. I can reconfigure and rebudget, but only to a point. And I don't want to ask anyone for money. But staying in a program simply because you need the loans would be pretty stupid, too.

The more I think about it, the more confused I become because if a) some or many MSW programs do not prepare people for therapy, why is b) the LCSW looked upon as such a favorable license?

I guess what I still haven't wrapped my head around is why--given that the MSW is such a generalist, broad-range degree in a lot of places, does the LCSW (or LICSW in my state) confer such prestige? It's almost like social workers and therapists are saying, "You have borderline-inadequate clinical education! We want YOU to work for us!"

I just don't get it!

I can't leave my job before August because I'm under contract, so there is no point in leaving this current semester. But--depending on how things go, I may or may not be back for the fall semester. I have a lot to think about.

I know that I've know several MSW's who got postgraduate training in individual and family psychotherapy. These folks often ended up working at a MH organization while having a private practice.

Just curious here...at what kind of place would a person receive this kind of training? A university? I've heard talk of psychotherapy institutes and seminars and such, but I've never been given any names or specifics...

The more I think about it, the more confused I become because if a) some or many MSW programs do not prepare people for therapy, why is b) the LCSW looked upon as such a favorable license?

I guess what I still haven't wrapped my head around is why--given that the MSW is such a generalist, broad-range degree in a lot of places, does the LCSW (or LICSW in my state) confer such prestige? It's almost like social workers and therapists are saying, "You have borderline-inadequate clinical education! We want YOU to work for us!"

One word: Politics.

More specifically, LCSWs have a long history of networking and joining forces to lobby for insurance reimbursement, etc. Also, LCSWs hire their own--perhaps for this reason (reimbursement pays the bills), perhaps because they are like anyone else and believe they had the best (read: most well-rounded) training, or because generally people just don't know what they don't know (i.e., that they haven't received comparable therapy training).

Members don't see this ad :)
As an LCSW with MSW from well-regarded graduate school of social work, I have ambivalent feelings about post. My clinical training in social work was solid, I thought, but dissipated by requirements in other areas of social work. I also had some less than enlightened experiences such as being docked on a paper for the reason that, "You are writing prose, here." I think the post speaks wisely that a Phd program offers a more intense focus of psychiatric study than an MSW. A friend and collegue has a doctorate in psychology that has served him quite well; he has no regrets whatsover it his pursuit of it. It has also offered him more options than the MSW-LCSW route. Good luck.

the "consumer mentality" is a sore subject amongst instructors and TAs; we associate it with entitled attitudes and downright bratty behavior on the part of students. But now would actually be a good time to harness that consumer mentality.

Interesting to read you say this, because my experience was that MSW students were generally much more mature (older, more well-rounded when starting the program) than PhD students. In other words, in my experience, PhD students are the ones who are entitled and privileged--I fit in much better with masters-level students, since I also consider myself mature and non-traditional and I'm caught up in the ridiculousness of competing for PhD programs with people 10 years my junior who still live with their parents, have never worked, etc., who then grow to be professors who also prefer this pedigree.

I say all of this because I think it is a strength of MSW programs. But of course, YMMV and everyone's experience is different.

The average age of my MSW classmates is probably around 35. We have a few folks older than 50, and a few who are fresh out of undergrad (so I'd assume ages 22-24ish), but in general we're older than a lot of other Masters students I've encountered.

Interesting to read you say this, because my experience was that MSW students were generally much more mature (older, more well-rounded when starting the program) than PhD students. In other words, in my experience, PhD students are the ones who are entitled and privileged--I fit in much better with masters-level students, since I also consider myself mature and non-traditional and I'm caught up in the ridiculousness of competing for PhD programs with people 10 years my junior who still live with their parents, have never worked, etc., who then grow to be professors who also prefer this pedigree.

I say all of this because I think it is a strength of MSW programs. But of course, YMMV and everyone's experience is different.

The competing with younger folks thing really does have to blow. I know--some of the jerkiest profs are the ones who went straight through from the BA and never held a non-academic job.

My (former) MSW program skewed much younger. The older folks like me were the outliers. Not trying to skewer all social workers here, but from what I recall, the majority of folks I met who seemed to fit into the program were dopy, uncritical (as in non-critical thinkers), at least moderately conservative, religious in an annoyingly prissy way, and fairly eager to uphold the status quo and become good little bureaucrats. Not innovators, not lefty radicals. They were some of the dumbest, most conventional thinkers I ever met.

I am currently on track for my MSW, after which I planned to get my LCSW. I am in my first year of a three-year-plus-one-summer program meant for people who also work full-time, which fits me perfectly.

However, I am finding that the social work perspective is rather broad, and rather oriented toward person-in-environment, whereas I am more interested in one-on-one, micro-level psychopathology.

Somewhere in my head I am considering withdrawing from my MSW program at a convenient time, waiting a year or two, and applying for a PhD or PsyD program.

I know what I'd need: good grades (which I have), clear goals, and good references. What I'm curious about is whether other folks here have done this.

I guess what I need is proverbial "moral support" as I decide what I should do. Needless to say, most people in my MSW program don't understand why I'd want to do this...there's a part of me that still thinks getting my LCSW would be easier (and I think it's right), and I could even do micro-level, one-on-one work with the LCSW, but the "throwing away" of one year of work and of all it took to get accepted in the applications process concerns me.

How do I know this is not just a case of the grass being greener on the other side?

you could finish your LCSW and seek out training in one-on one therapy post-graduation. My friend who is a LCSW was trained in CBT at the Beck Institute. You could do intensive training in a variety of therapies and be a great LCSW in a much shorter time frame than pursuing a PhD/PsyD, and likely with a lot less debt unless you are very interested in research.

Reactions: 1 user
I also had some less than enlightened experiences such as being docked on a paper for the reason that, "You are writing prose, here."

This made me laugh (though I have to admit, I don't understand the grader's comment--you were writing too poetically? or...?).

I think one thing that most undergrads and professional students don't fully understand is that many (though surely not all) profs, instructors, and TAs genuinely don't give a crap about you, your papers, etc. Profs lecture on materials they haven't read, TAs and instructors skim papers and slap grades on. There are jokes about your grading "rubric" being a system whereby you throw your ungraded set of papers down the stairs and the ones that fall the farthest become the As, the second farthest are the Bs, etc. For instructors, the level of hassles is high relative to the pay, especially if you've been groomed to believe that you are a great intellect (or are a spoiled, ****-eating grad student), you feel your time is squandered attempting to teach kids stuff they don't wanna learn. There is no money nor prestige in teaching at the college level (tenure track profs' bread and butter comes from research productivity, publications, and securing grant money for the university). Most people in the position to grade your work adjust their efforts accordingly.

Oh, profs, adjuncts, and TAs alike have elaborate teaching philosophies and pedagogical statements, but I've found those to be largely inconsistent with what they actually profess in private or do on a day by day basis. It's a marketing strategy. So to put it in perspective, a mean or incomprehensible comment on a paper may have been scribbled at 3:00 a.m., when, after setting an egg timer for 5 minutes to grade the paper it took you hours to write, the prof decided s/he needed to write a comment about something. Don't take it personal.

Interesting to read you say this, because my experience was that MSW students were generally much more mature (older, more well-rounded when starting the program) than PhD students

Oh, also, Psychadelic, I was referencing a "discussion" BST and I had last year. I think that the consumer mentality to which I was referring is most often found in undergrads, but also in grad and professional students of all stripes, especially as the millennial generation has entered first college, then grad school. There really is a cultural difference there, and people I know who have been teaching for a long time notice it.

you could finish your LCSW and seek out training in one-on one therapy post-graduation. My friend who is a LCSW was trained in CBT at the Beck Institute. You could do intensive training in a variety of therapies and be a great LCSW in a much shorter time frame than pursuing a PhD/PsyD, and likely with a lot less debt unless you are very interested in research.

Agreed, although I think the funding issue is a tad more complicated.

In essence, be very cautious about unfunded doctoral programs. You'll be adding more debt onto any loans you've already taken out. Psychologists simply don't make all that much. However, you don't have to be extremely research focused to get into a balanced, funded program. You just have to see the value of research for clinical practice and be willing to engage in it to become a clinician who can think critically about treatment selection, assessment, outcomes, etc. However, getting the research experience to be competitive for these spots may make it an even longer investment time-wise.

I really like this idea. Do you know of any similar institutes in the Midwest or Upper South?

I don't know of any offhand, but there are many seminars and workshops on ACT, MI, DBT, Mindfulness, etc. that travel around the country. Maybe contact your state psychological association and/or university based psychology grad school and ask to be put on the mailing list. Or you could research therapies you are interested in and look for workshops or training opportunities in your area.

The MSW is such a versatile degree and in the fluid current market I think it is a far wiser path for anyone starting out, especially if you do not have $100,000 savings to fund doctoral study. It is very possible to get an LCSW and use post-degree study in theoretical/applied models to get some excellent psychotherapy training and credentials. If your long term goal is private practice or work in integrated health care settings, the profession of social work has laid a much clearer set of established pathways to practice. I hope psychology will catch up but there are some attitudes in the profession that are pretty big obstacles currently and the internship supply problem needs to be solved before it makes any sense to invest in a graduate degree in psychology unless it is university funded.

The MSW is such a versatile degree and in the fluid current market I think it is a far wiser path for anyone starting out, especially if you do not have $100,000 savings to fund doctoral study. It is very possible to get an LCSW and use post-degree study in theoretical/applied models to get some excellent psychotherapy training and credentials. If your long term goal is private practice or work in integrated health care settings, the profession of social work has laid a much clearer set of established pathways to practice. I hope psychology will catch up but there are some attitudes in the profession that are pretty big obstacles currently and the internship supply problem needs to be solved before it makes any sense to invest in a graduate degree in psychology unless it is university funded.

I completely agree. Very well said.

As a PsyD student currently applying for internship for the second time, I honestly wish that I had done the MSW at my local/state university rather than paying >67k for tuition (plus 30k for rent and 10k and living expenses for 3 years) for the clinical psych doctorate. In my geographical area, LCSWs compete (and satisfactorily compete) with PsyDs and PhDs for clinical positions and have a lot less student loan debt (if any). [I wouldn't have met my husband if this was what I'd done but ignoring that... :p] At this point, 4.5 years after starting my doctoral studies, I'd be about ready to get my license as a social worker... But I'm still nowhere near getting my doctoral degree, despite completing classes.

If you get the MSW and wind up doing therapy in a community mental health center or private practice for a couple years and then decide that you'd rather do assessment (which is pretty much the only area requiring a doctorate rather than an MA in my area), you can still apply and get it. You'd be a more competitive candidate for many doctoral programs, since you'd have the therapy experience... As someone suggested, you may be better served by switching MSW programs rather than switching to clinical psych. The doctorate is not the ideal degree for doing therapy. (I really wish that it were.)

Good luck. :luck:

Last edited:
"Ideal" is not so useful a concept when you are making a practical decision for which there is not "perfect" answer. There are way too many variables at work. Sometimes folks just want "to be a doctor"...but even there, you CAN get a social work doctorate (but the focus will be policy and the culture probably doesn't support flashing the title around...however, you can have a faculty position, a private practice, etc...) Grass is always greener maybe a factor in your deliberations? I had some really great therapy supervisors in my training that were (gasp!) social workers. Great therapy is not about the initials, it is about the individual and the dedication to learning the craft.

In the title of your thread you say "PhD or PsyD"

A PhD is a lot different than a PsyD. That is, it is a lot more work. Are you prepared to devote yourself to research for the next 5 years? A 75+ page dissertation? In addition, be prepared for at least 4 stats courses.

The LCSW is a very applied track. So it's important that you consider the type of track that a PhD comprises.

A PhD is a lot different than a PsyD. That is, it is a lot more work. Are you prepared to devote yourself to research for the next 5 years? A 75+ page dissertation? In addition, be prepared for at least 4 stats courses.

Yet another useful post by thepug. :rolleyes: As usual, it is based on objective data and not on a known (and biased) opinion, and it is not meant to be insulting to one or more groups of people. An objective scientist-practitioner/scholar-practitioner would evaluate the program and student....not the degree, as the latter would be a gross overgeneralization. Truth be told, I do appreciate hearing your opinion because it reminds me to rely on my training as a clinician (and scientist), and not just assume my opinion is superior.

I know they're different, though I don't know all the ins-and-outs as to how, but I thank everybody for responding. In my head, the LCSW, PhD, and PsyD all can do counseling, although each also has its own area of expertise that the other two don't necessarily share (depending on field and school). This has been a very helpful thread!

There have been a lot of great, well worded posts to your question, OP. I echo the versatility of the MSW and it is a very cost-effective degree. You can do almost anything with it, and work in a variety of interesting settings alongside MAs doing the same work. I'm not sure where you're going to school, but my MSW had a clinical track for those of us who wanted to be therapists. There were classes on DSM diagnoses, psychopathology, family and couples therapy, CBT, and LGBT specific classes, among others. The first year is often foundational and less about what you may be hoping for. Perhaps another MSW program is a better fit for you? Unless there is a specific job or population you need a doctorate to work with? Or you want to learn, administer, and use tests?

Good luck with your decision...