Leaving my pharmacy clerk job. They are hiring in the OC, CA.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laquotes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyway, it's kind of sad that I'm leaving, but it's also kind of like, "yeah!" Two weeks off! :laugh: What I have learned from this experience? When I go to pharmacy school, I'm not going into retail. It's was an eye-opening experience. Hospital pharmacy for me. Or independent pharmacy.
I don't know if this is appropriate for the forum, but two or three clerk openings are probably soon to come up in the OC, CA. The pharmacy is will practically hire anyone who can pass the retail store personality pass. So if you need experience before applying to pharm D school, PM me if you are interested. Or drop a post and I'll pm you. But I will warn you, pharm clerk job is pretty stressful like any retail job, only you work the front counter which is worse, because you deal with patients directly.

Members don't see this ad.

admissions standards...so what

Pharmacy schools like USN and most others do NOT required pharmacy experience, having work with clerk and interns...they do not know anything about pharmacy, especially RETAIL...they only slow down the pharmacy and get more customer complaints.

If you can earn the grade and in good "credit" history standing, you're in accepted, it's all about BUSINESS ... only after they got out and started working in the pharmacy, they realized that pharmacy is not for them

Also, if you can BS your way with your personal statement, touch the heart of the committee, you're in...in other words, lies and lies, micmic your weakness and articulate your strength...like a cancer onco

basically, i don't give any respect nor have any sympathy for clerk nor interns who just started to work in the pharmacy or/and ONLY after they've found out that they got accepted to a pharmacy school to apply to work in the pharmacy

Anyway, it's kind of sad that I'm leaving, but it's also kind of like, "yeah!" :laugh: What I have learned from this experience? When I go to pharmacy school, do not go into retail! It's an eye-opening experience. None of the clerks who are going to pharmacy school at my work want to do retail when they become pharmacists.

I don't know if this is appropriate for the forum, but two or three clerk openings are soon to come up in the OC, CA. The pharmacy is will practically hire anyone who can pass the retail store personality pass. So if you need experience before applying to pharm D school, they'll hire any college kid. PM me if you are interested. Or drop a post and I'll pm you. But I will warn you, pharm clerk job is pretty stressful like any retail job, only you work the front counter which is worse, because you deal with patients directly.

Anyway, it's kind of sad that I'm leaving, but it's also kind of like, "yeah!" :laugh: What I have learned from this experience? When I go to pharmacy school, do not go into retail! It's an eye-opening experience. None of the clerks who are going to pharmacy school at my work want to do retail when they become pharmacists.

I don't know if this is appropriate for the forum, but two or three clerk openings are soon to come up in the OC, CA. The pharmacy is will practically hire anyone who can pass the retail store personality pass. So if you need experience before applying to pharm D school, they'll hire any college kid. PM me if you are interested. Or drop a post and I'll pm you. But I will warn you, pharm clerk job is pretty stressful like any retail job, only you work the front counter which is worse, because you deal with patients directly.

advertising for pharmacy clerk positions? Note how you say the pharmacy will hire anyone who passes the test. Clerk positions start at minimum or near minumum wage. Good luck if you work at a pharmacy with a drive thru. You end up running back and forth from the front end to the drive thru window many times. Every night, you will go to sleep with drive thru bells still ringing in your head. Also good luck if your pharmacy manager is female and in her 40s because that's when she's in menopause and it can get pretty stressful when she bosses you around. LOL. I know from experience. Clerkships are only temporary to get experience. The turnover ratio is high because becasically you are a slave. I've worked at some pharmacies where pharmacists will help you out with the register and other pharmacies where the pharmacists will not even touch the register. THey will let you do all the work. Hair loss, migraines, and stomach ulcers are what you end up getting from it.

Members don't see this ad :)
admissions standards...so what

Pharmacy schools like USN and most others do NOT required pharmacy experience, having work with clerk and interns...they do not know anything about pharmacy, especially RETAIL...they only slow down the pharmacy and get more customer complaints.

If you can earn the grade and in good "credit" history standing, you're in accepted, it's all about BUSINESS ... only after they got out and started working in the pharmacy, they realized that pharmacy is not for them

Also, if you can BS your way with your personal statement, touch the heart of the committee, you're in...in other words, lies and lies, micmic your weakness and articulate your strength...like a cancer onco

basically, i don't give any respect nor have any sympathy for clerk nor interns who just started to work in the pharmacy or/and ONLY after they've found out that they got accepted to a pharmacy school to apply to work in the pharmacy

I agree with your idea-- I believe it is a really good idea for anyone who is interested in going to pharmacy school to actually work (not just volunteer even) in a pharmacy for a couple years. And I stress a couple years. It may seem great at first, but people really need to understand how it is going to be year after year. I think people coming straight out of high school and getting accepted into a pharmacy school without ever having worked at least two years in a pharmacy are making a big mistake. It may not turn out bad for some people, but I can guarentee that some, if not the majority, of these types of graduates will be disappointed in their pharmacy career.

I don't understand how anyone can be interested in a career, any career, without having tried some aspect of it at some point in their life. I actually think this is the problem with the educational system in this country: upon graduating, most high school students go directly into college. I'm sure there are some students that have a career in mind that they've wanted to do their whole lives; maybe they've researched it, or perhaps have some relatives who are in that career that can give them some guidance in it. But most high school graduates have no idea what they want to do when they start out in college. And college is no place to find out what you want to do as a career. I spent the first four years of college having no idea what I wanted to do. I ended up finishing with the quickest degree so that at least I would have something to show for the five years I spent in college, and then went out and got a job. That's when I found that I really enjoyed working in a pharmacy. Now I'm going to pharmacy school (I'm actually going to USN, and I know what you mean about how its a business there), but I know that when I graduate, I will have a job that I really enjoy.

yeah, clerks have a very high turnover rate. It doesn't help that they are high schoolers and college kids, whom I guess are less likely to stick it out for a long time. But luckily no drive-through or 24 hrs. Drive throughs are evil and so disrespectful to the profession.

Drive throughs are evil and so disrespectful to the profession.

I didn't know people hate drive throughs that much. I just started my first year rotations at CVS with a drive through. It seems kinda cool. Ofcourse it is only my frist week. Theres rarely any drive throughs where I am from (north cali). Down here (so cal) drive throughs are the norm. Its just different to me, I guess

I didn't know people hate drive throughs that much. I just started my first year rotations at CVS with a drive through. It seems kinda cool. Ofcourse it is only my frist week. Theres rarely any drive throughs where I am from (north cali). Down here (so cal) drive throughs are the norm. Its just different to me, I guess

wait till people come through asking for everything else in the store, ie diapers.

yeah, clerks have a very high turnover rate. It doesn't help that they are high schoolers and college kids, whom I guess are less likely to stick it out for a long time. But luckily no drive-through or 24 hrs. Drive throughs are evil and so disrespectful to the profession.

You may find them disrespectful, but as a parent, if I am sick or my kids are sick, standing in the pharmacy for 45-60 minutes is just not a good idea. The drive thru is a life saver in those conditions. It is not realistic to stand there holding a sick child for that long or to just drop the script off and come back. Drive thru's are a GREAT service to many, so they may be a pain, but it is better than listening to my sick child scream for 45 mins.

You may find them disrespectful, but as a parent, if I am sick or my kids are sick, standing in the pharmacy for 45-60 minutes is just not a good idea. The drive thru is a life saver in those conditions. It is not realistic to stand there holding a sick child for that long or to just drop the script off and come back. Drive thru's are a GREAT service to many, so they may be a pain, but it is better than listening to my sick child scream for 45 mins.

I understand how drive thrus are a convenience to many people, but a lot of people act like its a fast food drive thru. We'll have people calling from the line at the drive thru and ask what's taking so long. I mean, do these people do that while they're waiting in the fast food line? I'm sure they've had to wait behind people whose orders have been screwed up and its taking longer than usual, so do they call the restaurant and ask them what's taking so long?? I've always wanted to ask them that, and I think I will next time because I won't be working at my current store for very much longer.

I Now I'm going to pharmacy school (I'm actually going to USN, and I know what you mean about how its a business there), but I know that when I graduate, I will have a job that I really enjoy.

message deleted

We'll have people calling from the line at the drive thru and ask what's taking so long.

Next time just tell them what's taking so long is the pharmacist making sure the medication they receive is correct...SO IT DOESN'T KILL THEM.

that is fine if you want to use the drive thru for picking up medications and such.

I just can't stand people who go through the drive through and ask for over the counter items. That is NOT what the drive thru is for.

I hate it when ppl ask for over the counter items, i would only get it for people who are physically handicap or people who are really really sick that they cannot get out of the car.

I've had countless patients that looks all great and dandy who ask for like milk and such. THey also get all pissed when i tell them that i cannot give them anything over the counter through the drive thru. Some people out there needs to learn that a pharmacy is not a fast food joint.

I agree with what most of you all have already said. Working in a pharmacy before you get in to school is very helpful. While it's true as a clerk you are treated as a slave I think it teaches valueble lessons. A former work mate of mine at a retail pharmacy applied to pharmacy school in 2006 to find out she didnt get in and after a horrible experience working as a clerk she quit pharmacy all together. She decided to pursue a business degree instead. As for me I have worked as a clerk and tech each for almost 1 yr (total 2 yrs). The experience I have gained is invaluable. I will start this fall in Pharm school. I think my work experience helped me in the admissions process. Not only does it look good on paper You can also relate personal experiences in your essays and interviews.

Anyone who is interested should come in for inquiry. Having experience will help your application.