Furrball

Faking sincerity daily
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Pacific NW
Status
I went to graduate school before medical school. I was half way through a PhD and realized I was in the wrong place for me so I got a MSc and worked for a couple of years as a biochemist while I applied to med school.

I had only one bad experience with interviews. When I applied for med school I had a PhD on the admission committee attack me for quitting grad school. She seemed to take it personally that I chose getting an MD over a PhD. The reaming was almost as bad as my PI was on a good day -- picture a man 6'2", 130 pounds, with bad hygiene and a personality to match.

Don't just bail. Either get the MS or finish your PhD. You probably will be asked why you left the PhD program. Have an answer ready. Do not be defensive. :thumbup:

OP
S

swederoxette

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Status
Furrball said:
I went to graduate school before medical school. I was half way through a PhD and realized I was in the wrong place for me so I got a MSc and worked for a couple of years as a biochemist while I applied to med school.

I had only one bad experience with interviews. When I applied for med school I had a PhD on the admission committee attack me for quitting grad school. She seemed to take it personally that I chose getting an MD over a PhD. The reaming was almost as bad as my PI was on a good day -- picture a man 6'2", 130 pounds, with bad hygiene and a personality to match.

Don't just bail. Either get the MS or finish your PhD. You probably will be asked why you left the PhD program. Have an answer ready. Do not be defensive. :thumbup:

Hey

irrka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2005
Status
Uhm... I am in the middle of my third year and i'd left my phd part after 3.5 years (with an MS, but after 3.5 [email protected]@#[email protected]%). In my experience for the actual leaving part, there was not really interaction between med school and the program (aside of course from the people who're on both sides as faculty) so i wouldnt fret there. I'm also kind of worried about going to residency interviews and being like yup. yup. wasted 4 years of my life. yup. good times.

Furrball

Faking sincerity daily
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Pacific NW
Status
My People! In the end you have to do what feels right to you. After I told my department chair that I wanted to leave with a masters, I was approached by two professors in the department who tried to convince me to stay. My PI was the last person to find out :smuggrin: . If your experience is any thing like mine, the pressure to stay was not for my benefit, it was for the department's. It makes the dept. look bad if students do not finish a degree.

So do what feels right for you. After I made my decision to leave I felt drunk I was so happy. Good luck :luck: