Leaving undergrad after three years to attend podiatry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trackstr22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone
I am currently a sophomore and I have a 3.97 gpa and tons of extracurricular activities. I also plan on shadowing a few podiatrists during christmas break and the spring semester as well as take the mcat in april. If I were to apply a year early what do you think my chances would be?

Members don't see this ad.

Great as long as you have 90 credits & a current mcat score >21.

Do i need 90 semester hours before i apply or before i matriculate?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just looking to bump this thread... I'm going into my junior year and I'm contemplating 'skipping' my senior year... I could study and take the MCAT this summer and apply in the fall. Good idea, bad idea? Anyone here do it?

Thoughts?

I was just looking to bump this thread... I'm going into my junior year and I'm contemplating 'skipping' my senior year... I could study and take the MCAT this summer and apply in the fall. Good idea, bad idea? Anyone here do it?

Thoughts?

1 year of pointless senior classes getting in more loan debt----bad idea
1 year more in practice -----------priceless

Just make sure you want to do this. your name made me think you were going into dental. Not sure if dental school has a 90 credit min.Also, I think 1 or 2 pod schools take the DAT aswell.

Just make sure you want to do this. your name made me think you were going into dental. Not sure if dental school has a 90 credit min.Also, I think 1 or 2 pod schools take the DAT aswell.

I used to want to go to dental but after shadowing some pods/a school visit I've changed my mind. I plan on taking the MCAT. I just didn't want to get a new account to change my name.

all you need is a gpa over 3.0, decent MCAT, and all pre-reqs met.

all you need is a gpa over 3.0, decent MCAT, and all pre-reqs met.

Actuallly some schools take GPAs as low as 2.7 and mcat <20 (not decent). to add to this, you just need a GPA somewhere near 3.0 and a mcat someplace near 20 and 90 credits + early application = at least 1 acceptance, no scholarships, but an acceptance.

Thanks guys, I guess everyone here has positive things to say. Do any of you current (or past!) students have friends that have done this - were they pleased?

That's good that Scholl has that - I'm from Mn and I was probably going to try and stay in the midwest (ie scholl, or dmu).

Also,god forbid this happens, but it would suck to get to pod school, drop out after a year or two (for who knows why) and then be left without a Bachelors or a doctorate degree...

Thanks guys, I guess everyone here has positive things to say. Do any of you current (or past!) students have friends that have done this - were they pleased?

That's good that Scholl has that - I'm from Mn and I was probably going to try and stay in the midwest (ie scholl, or dmu).

Also,god forbid this happens, but it would suck to get to pod school, drop out after a year or two (for who knows why) and then be left without a Bachelors or a doctorate degree...

i just graduated. two of my friends did this route and both are in great residencies. they kinda wish they had graduated before going just because they didn't want to be the only ones with no degree under their name at graduation ha ha ha.

i just graduated. two of my friends did this route and both are in great residencies. they kinda wish they had graduated before going just because they didn't want to be the only ones with no degree under their name at graduation ha ha ha.

They didn't do a program that offered the BS/BA after the first year or two then? Where do you go?

they went to major universities for undergrad and were going to get degrees but realized they could get into pod med school with the credits they already had. i went to Barry.