LECOM 2005

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by DaNugget79, Mar 21, 2001.

1. DaNugget79

DaNugget79 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi everyone,
    I was wondering how everyone was coming along with housing...I got the housing packet from LECOM, but it doesn't say where the majority of students live - does anyone know? Congrats to all, and I'll see you all in August.

2. bbwilliams06

bbwilliams06 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey, what happened to our meeting room?

Danugget79, try going to LECOM SGA's website and posting your question there. Perhaps they can provide that info. for you.
    I have contacted a realtor in Erie and made arrangements to look at several of their rental properties (in late April or early may). Also, Pastore Builders, Montagna Brothers and Baldwin Brothers all claim to have properties within close proximity of LECOM. I thought the reps. at Pastore Builders were pretty helpful in answering my questions whenever I called.
    By the way, CONGRATULATIONS on your acceptance into LECOM's Class of 2005. I look forward to meeting you and all the others.

3. DaNugget79

DaNugget79 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks bbwilliams for the suggestion. I'll check it out. I heard today that a lot of students live in granada. Also, does anyone out there think that the $350 offer from the Erie Housing Authority sounds too good to be true? Does it seem to have run-down written all over it, or is it just me?
    Congratulations to all again.

4. cholecalciferol

cholecalciferol Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

the $350 from the Housing authority is open to Mentorship Club members only. I believe it is public housing, by the way and the authority have decided to rent to Lecom student since it is behind the shool (a few hundred yard) and LECOM students help the tentant through the mentorship program.

5. bbwilliams06

10+ Year Member

jlep2003 or Cholecalciferol, are either of you able to give us any ideas of the activities (social or otherwise) that SGA has planned for us rookies once we get to Erie?

6. cholecalciferol

10+ Year Member

In terms of activities: during orientation, Dr. Evans will give you an introduction lecture about the history of the DO profession (This will be test material, believe or not! - But it won't be any thing difficult). Then you have a bunch of formalities, like a speech from Dean Sylvia Ferreti, from a Disability insurance agent, an official from Pennsylvania Osteopathic Association, maybe others next year.
    You have lunch with your Big Brother/Sister - I recommend you sign up - They are good for old exams, advice, etc...
    There is a picnic in the Evening at presque Ile (go if you can, nice way to meet up for classmate).

That's all I remembered. There may be more activities plan this year.

Don't pay too much for Housing! Cost of living is very cheap in Erie. And there is plenty of housing You can buy a decent house for around $50-60K so you should be able to get a room around $200 per month or $300 for a 1 bedroom apartment.

By the way, I saw a couple of house with "for rent" sign within a 5 min walk from the school.

[This message has been edited by cholecalciferol (edited March 24, 2001).]

7. bbwilliams06

10+ Year Member

Does anyone know if LECOM has a note taking, Scribe or Note Pool system?

8. DaNugget79

DaNugget79 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I think we were told during the interview that there is a note taking system...although I don't know how it works.

9. demetriou

demetriou Junior Member

My wife and I just signed a lease with the erie housing authority. To be honest with you it was a screaming deal. For 350 dollars you get a two bedroom townhouse with a full basement. The apartment they showed us was in good condition and bran new appliances were purchased for the apartment. In addition it is only 5 minutes walk from the school. Congratulations on your acceptance to the school see you in August.

10. zorro21

zorro21 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

demetriou,
    when you signed your lease with the erie housing project, do they require you to volunteer so many hours a week? in the housing packet that i got from LECOM, it said that preference if given to students who volunteer for the mentoring program at erie heights. so, did you agree to volunteer a set amount of hours each week?

11. cholecalciferol

10+ Year Member

Note service is run by the students themselves. You and your classmates will have to volunteers to take notes (or listen to tapes of lectures). Needless to say, the quality depends on the effort & skill put in by the scribes (it's pretty much hit & miss)

The Dean does not support Noteservice at LECOM by the way.

Dr. Sexton, faculty advisor of the Mentorship program, is trying to negotiate with the Housing authority so non-mentorship members from LECOM can rent from there.

12. demetriou

demetriou Junior Member

No I did not volunteer. I explained to them that I have no idea if or what type of free time I had. They understand that we are part of a medical program and that we may be busy doing other things. They were very accommodating. Indeed I was the one that mentioned the mentoring program. In short they did not seem to be concerned whether I wanted to do it or not. The apts are a screaming deal. Obviously they are not the best most luxurious apts, but they are clean and have a tremendous amount of room. Bottom line: Pretty cheap rent for the next few years and within walking distance to the school. Hope this helps my friend, look forward to meeting you at LECOM. Humor for the day, "Don't squat with your spurs on."
    Take Care.

13. zorro21

zorro21 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

demetriou,
    did you look at any other apartment complexes? if so, which ones? what did you think of them?
    i will be going to ERIE the second week in april to look for apartments. any help would be greatly appreciated.

14. demetriou

demetriou Junior Member

Zorro21. My wife and I saw a tremendous amount of apts. For the most part there were alot of terrible ones. Baldwin Bros own quite a few properties but I found the ones that I saw to be over priced and rundown. We had the best luck with Joe Palermo Rentals; Ask to speak with Gary Staynoff Property Manager, 814 455 6533. His properties were top notch and brand new ($590 plus utilities two bedroom townhouse). We chose to go with Erie Housing authority because their price range was what we were looking for. In addition there are a number of brand new apt complexes next to the school that appeared to be in excellent shape. We unfortunately were limited to our place of abode because we have a pet. Most places don not allow animals. Hope this helps.

15. bbwilliams06

10+ Year Member

Did anyone apply to the PBL or ISP program and if so will you be starting classes/studies in June?

16. DaNugget79

DaNugget79 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The PBL was the big reason I applied to the school. I got accepted into the program (surprisingly), but after seeing that it was only in it's second year at LECOM, I wasn't sure if all the kinks had been worked out yet, so I decided against it and went for the lecture based pathway. Another reason was the June 4th start...two weeks after graduation. I need some time to sit down and relax and spend some quality time with my family.
    Demetriou- I think I interviewed with you in early June. Was the Erie Housing Authority somewhat modernized? I'm not looking for luxury or anything like that, but something a little past decent would be nice. I know you've been over this before, but I want to know for sure before I really commit to it.
    Thanks, and congratulations to all again. Can't wait to see you in August.

Nugget

17. DOtobe

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Have any of you guys NOT found a place to live yet? I haven't gotten around to seeing or even calling any apartments yet, and I am starting to freak out. Does anybody know how easy (or hard) it is to find an apartment in Erie? Thanks for any info you may have!

18. LisaPLECOM2005

LisaPLECOM2005 New Member

Hi,
    I live in Girard, a small town 15 miles west of Erie. If any one has specific questions on housing or locations in Erie I would be able to answer them for you. The Garden St. apartments (public housing) that some of you have mentioned are close to LECOM and a mentorship program has been started there. Just remember that it is public low income housing and there are plenty of children running around all the time. It isn't one of the project areas that have gang activity associated with it. I would suggest staying on the west side of Peach St. since the morning traffic can be terrible on Peach. There are townhouses on Old Zuck Rd, W Grandview, Washington Ave, and Gore Rd. that should be reasonable for students. I think that several students live in the Granada Garden apts. That is on the east side of Peach, near the Millcreek Mall. I am excited about meeting all of you in August.

19. DaNugget79

DaNugget79 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

DOtobe: I haven't looked at apartments at all. I called up LECOM and asked them about it and was told that we should be okay if we come up and look by the end of May/early June. If someone hears otherwise, please let us know. I don't have anytime until after graduation May 20th, so I probably won't go up until early June. Hopefully something will be left for me.

Lisa: Thanks for the offer, I know I will take you up on your offer once or twice over the next few months.

See you all in August.

Nugget

20. bbwilliams06

10+ Year Member

Lisa, do you know if Sprint PCS offers cellular service in the Erie area? I have a fairly decent plan with them here in Des Moines and if it is at all possible, I would like to keep the service.
    Also, I heard(I don't recall the source)that electricity consumers in Pennsylvania must select a company that generates their electricity and then another company that supplies that generated electricity. If I remember correctly, there are two separate bills, one for each of the services provided. I don't know how accurate this information is but I would sure appreciate any clarification that you, or anyone else, may be able to provide.

On a more interesting note; I have accepted a seat in the ISP program and will be beginning studies during the first week of June. I realize that ISP is in its inaugural year and that there will be a lot of BUGS to work out but I think things will be okay.