LECOM applies for 4th campus in Elmira, NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone interested:

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/accreditation/predoctoral accreditation/Pages/coca-meeting-notification.aspx

"Review of accreditation activities will begin on Aug. 29 at 9 a.m. (CDT). The following accreditation items are on the agenda at this time:

Substantive change request:
  • Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine – additional location in Elmira, New York"

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome. I was just thinking the other day about how awesome New York would be if it only had a few more medical schools.

Reactions: 3 users
DO schools need to stop. If residencies were expanding too, this would be problematic leading to saturation and lower wages.

This is really bad...the only NEW school that actually made new residency programs is CUSOM in North Carolina...at least they are making dozens of new programs in rural NC and other small towns.

This is going to be a horrific problem in a few years when dozens of DO's go unmatched as last year there were about 30 DO's that didn't match following the DO and MD match but perhaps they were shooting for something above their scores. Regardless, I feel soon this number will reach 100 or more as class sizes expand, merger allows MD's to apply to DO programs, new schools, and not enough residency positions.

Reactions: 1 user
LECOM be like

lots-of-money-gif-2.gif

What ever happened to Salt Lake City??

I think they're still in the process. They'll talk about it in 2015 UOMA conference. If everything goes through, Lecom will have 5 campuses.

Last edited:
New Schools update:

Pre-accreditation site visit report:

• University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (San Antonio, Texas)
One deferral of action on a request for award of Pre-accreditation status will be considered:

• Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (Fort Smith, Arkansas)

Possible New School:
  • Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine – additional location in Elmira, New York

Recent: New Schools/Branch Campuses
  • Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (Dothan, Alabama)

• Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (Las Cruces, New Mexico

• Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine (Lynchburg, Virginia)

• Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (Indianapolis, Indiana)

• Ohio University-Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine - additional location in Cleveland, Ohio

• Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine – additional location in Middletown, New York

• Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine-Auburn (Auburn, Alabama)

Hey I get it. They gotta feed their families. Maybe they are trying to make moves on this list:Screen-Shot-2015-07-21-at-1_01_42-AM.png

Reactions: 2 users
This is ****ing ridiculous! This needs to stop or there will be more students not matching (especially DOs) and the quality/trust/proficiency that DO's have built over the past few decades will go up in flame.

hmmm. I don't think many of you have done your research. LECOM has been slowly adding rotation spots and establishing residencies in New York for a few years now. They have been planning for this for a while. I know that LECOM is affiliated with the residencies and fellowships at Arnot Ogden Medical Center, including a cardiology and a gastroenterology fellowship program.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm. I don't think many of you have done your research. LECOM has been slowly adding rotation spots and establishing residencies in New York for a few years now. They have been planning for this for a while. I know that LECOM is affiliated with the residencies and fellowships at Arnot Ogden Medical Center, including a cardiology and a gastroenterology fellowship program.

Really just wanted to quote this post to highlight how dumb it is.

Go back to the pre-med forums, child.

It's funny how when people post on forums with an opinion contrary to the dominant opinion on that thread, the often start of with "hmmmm..."

It's funny how when people post on forums with an opinion contrary to the dominant opinion on that thread, the often start of with "hmmmm..."

Its almost always the case. Its better though when they post just blatant nonsense.

It disgusts me how many for-profit "universities" are on that list.
Don't be mistaken. It's ALL for profit. Just a matter of how the money travels.

Reactions: 8 users
What ever happened to Salt Lake City??

Heard nothing about it. Doubt it'll happen. They test the waters a lot. There was talk about putting one up south of Pittsburgh back in 2013. Never materialized. This one actually seems realistic. They've been discussing it with Elmira College for some time apparently, and the goal is to set it up on the same model as Seton Hill.

This move doesn't make sense to me, but its honestly not because of residencies. LECOM actually does a pretty good job at expanding residencies when it opens a new campus. It formed a bunch in FL when it opened Bradenton and it opened a bunch of new ones in NY and PA when it opened Seton Hill. That said, where is this new group of 100 people going to rotate? Elmira is even more desolate/saturated than Greensburg in terms rotation opportunities. They already send >50 students/yr to the major hospital system in the area, and I doubt it could handle much more.

Hey I get it. They gotta feed their families. Maybe they are trying to make moves on this list:View attachment 194499

LECOM won't be getting on that list anytime soon. To give you an idea, SGU's (#12 on that list) tuition is double that of LECOM and they enroll twice as many students as all LECOM campuses combined.

So is the new school official official now??? When does it open? So many new DO schools popping up across the country. Most of the new ones I have seen are in the South and Midwest but I guess new ones in the northeast are coming too.

So is the new school official official now??? When does it open? So many new DO schools popping up across the country. Most of the new ones I have seen are in the South and Midwest but I guess new ones in the northeast are coming too.

Its not clear what happened on the COCA reports. We'll have to wait until the spring when the new COMs report comes out. According to the COCA report from that meeting, only the Arkansas COM and UIW COM have received pre-accreditation status and are going to be recruiting in 2016 for the 2017 entering class.

what is the 3rd campus? erie, SH, ___, elmira

Bradenton, FL

I wonder what ever happened to LECOM-Utah

I think the idea was dropped. Faced with RVU making a campus there, and I think an issue with the main contact, I think they just decided to hold off.

As far as this campus goes, I know they're in the process of making connections with other community hospital systems in upstate NY and they're working on new residencies there (I have a feeling it'll be mostly FM). We'll have to see what happens if this actual campus materializes, but LECOM seems to be working on new PC residencies in NY either way. Arnot Ogden seems maxed out in terms of programs at this point.

I think the idea was dropped. Faced with RVU making a campus there, and I think an issue with the main contact, I think they just decided to hold off.

As far as this campus goes, I know they're in the process of making connections with other community hospital systems in upstate NY and they're working on new residencies there (I have a feeling it'll be mostly FM). We'll have to see what happens if this actual campus materializes, but LECOM seems to be working on new PC residencies in NY either way. Arnot Ogden seems maxed out in terms of programs at this point.

From my understanding the UoU pitched a huge fit. They had this big lobby thing to whoever was deciding on the LECOM branch and they agreed that they would increase their total seats by 20 to help address the physician shortage in rural Utah if they turned down LECOM. I think LECIM was unsuccessful because they were trying to put it in Provo which isn't rural. The legislature allowed RVU to start a school because RVU was smarter about how they pitched the idea. They said they would put their campus in rural southern Utah and talked about admitting students from southern Utah who would have a higher chance of returning to practice there, and they also talked about a primary care rural focus which hooked the legislative people. The UoU couldn't do anything about it.

From my understanding the UoU pitched a huge fit. They had this big lobby thing to whoever was deciding on the LECOM branch and they agreed that they would increase their total seats by 20 to help address the physician shortage in rural Utah if they turned down LECOM. I think LECIM was unsuccessful because they were trying to put it in Provo which isn't rural. The legislature allowed RVU to start a school because RVU was smarter about how they pitched the idea. They said they would put their campus in rural southern Utah and talked about admitting students from southern Utah who would have a higher chance of returning to practice there, and they also talked about a primary care rural focus which hooked the legislative people. The UoU couldn't do anything about it.
My apologies to @SLC, but I really can't stand the U.

My apologies to @SLC, but I really can't stand the U.

That makes two of us. And funny enough most of the docs that I've talked to who went there say the same thing... One of them specifically told them straight up he wouldn't donate a dime to the school until they cleaned up their admissions practices and lost the better than everyone attitude.

Utah exports a ton of medical students across the country. Im sure the new RVU campus will help alleviate that. It just concerns me that the Colorado canpus was planning a nursing and PT school on the main campus but were put on hold to divert re$ources for the Utah campus. It just smells like Touro-NY and how they opened up the Middleton campus after only 5 years of starting the Harlem campus.

That makes two of us. And funny enough most of the docs that I've talked to who went there say the same thing... One of them specifically told them straight up he wouldn't donate a dime to the school until they cleaned up their admissions practices and lost the better than everyone attitude.
Three of us. Once they increased seats they just extended what "in state" means. Tons of in state spots go to people who simply went to college in Utah. They apply to the U as a back up, then get their degree, and move back home. I'm in Utah and most people are pretty unhappy with the way they run things

Three of us. Once they increased seats they just extended what "in state" means. Tons of in state spots go to people who simply went to college in Utah, unless that college is a certain school 40 miles to the south. They apply to the U as a back up, then get their degree, and move back home. I'm in Utah and most people are pretty unhappy with the way they run things

Ftfy

Reactions: 1 users