LECOM-B vs PNWU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viking55

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been fortunate to receive acceptances at both schools but am having a tough time deciding where I should send my deposit. Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

PNWU: pros
-Close to home: hoping to match and practice in Washington as this is where I'm from, and figured rotating in sites throughout the PNW (and especially WA), would help me match in-state. Also, support from family.
-Established school (2008) and is well-regarded by current students who go there
-Great match rates and solid board scores
-P/F
-Dedicated study spaces on campus
-Cheap cost of living in Yakima
-They allow water on campus (see LECOM lol)
PNWU: cons
-Tuition not bad but relatively higher than LECOM (59k vs 34k)
-School seems too focused on primary care. I'm likely to pursue primary care, but want the flexibility to change if it comes up
-Not that excited to live in Yakima, would love to live someplace sunny and experience something different after being in Washington my whole life

LECOM: pros
-Very established school (1998 I believe?)
-Cheap tuition (34k)
-Living in Florida big plus, I think being near the beach and in a place with sun/heat will do wonders for my mental health
-PBL seems great for me. Love having limited lectures and being able to study my own way and I think I'll adjust well to it
-Fantastic board scores and match rates
-LECOM grads do well in medicine and have a positive reputation (all anecdotal but significant nonetheless imo)
LECOM: cons
-Rotations. Small (but not insignificant) chance of having to leave Florida for these. Although current students said we could stay in Florida if we really wanted, the possibility of having to go up North (or Ohio) is not appealing
-Letter grades
-Strict admin (dress code, water/food rule)
-Far from home. Mainly worried about being able to match in WA if I go to school all the way across the country. Support system won't be a problem though as my S.O. will be moving with me.

*Basically, my biggest appeal for LECOM is to be able to live in Florida, as my S.O. and I would both love the new experience (both of my current med student friends+a doctor I shadowed all told me that location should be my top priority as med school will suck no matter where I'm at). But PNWU is such a great school, and I believe it will give me the best chance to match in WA.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you want to match and eventually practice in WA I would say PNW it's easier to build relationships in the same state. Still possible at LECOM though just a little more difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to match and eventually practice in WA I would say PNW it's easier to build relationships in the same state. Still possible at LECOM though just a little more difficult.
Gotcha, thanks for your response. I'll keep this in mind.

I have also been accepted to PNWU. My impression of the school was that it was not overly primary care focused. Not like some other schools are anyway. They have a pretty rounded out match list which even includes some more competitive specialties. I agree with you about Yakima. I used to live near there. It's...something. But it's only two years. Take a look at the clinical year locations.

I know very little about LECOM-B beyond what I've seen here on SDN. All I know about Florida I've learned from Twitter, The Good Place, and Dexter.

Reactions: 1 user
The culture at LECOM was very competitive and PNWU seems very supportive, if that helps. I interviewed in person at both places last year accepted to PNWU and I withdrew from LECOM but it was LECOM E

Last edited:
The culture at LECOM was very competitive and PNWU seems very supportive, if that helps. I interviewed in person at both places last year accepted to PNWU and I withdrew from LECOM but it was LECOM E
Gotcha, thank you! This helps a lot. Do you like PNWU now?