LECOM-B vs. Touro NY Middletown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nomad86

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a deposit due this week at Touro Middletown and I am torn between it and LECOM-B. My pros/cons:

Touro Middletown:

Pros:
-5 hour drive from home - so much comfort in the ability to jump in the car last minute if I want to see my family or S.O.
-While on tour the students seemed really happy and comfortable
-Flipped classroom curriculum - good for me, I don't like lectures I prefer study groups and active learning (see LECOM PBL)
-Associated with Orange Regional Medical Center
-Amazing Anatomy

Cons:
$80K total cost of attendance per year
Really did not like Middletown, NY, the area is rough and depressed. I don't think my S.O. and friends would enjoy visiting it and
School seemed more "business-like" then LECOM - the Deans seemed slick and less academic

LECOM-B

Pros:
$60K total cost of attendance per year
Bradenton/Sarasota is a nice area - Friends/Family/SO would have plenty to do when visiting
PBL is intriguing - seems like the transition to 3/4 year would be much more seamless
Board Scores show their curriculum is effective
Low attrition rate
Flight is about 5.5 hours from home, with lots of options

Cons:
-Students did not seem as happy as those at Touro
-Florida heat/humidity
-Distance from home is hard to swallow.

I know everyone will say the cost of attendance at LECOM makes this a no-brainer. I really think right now it is overall based on Cost of Attendance at LECOM vs Proximity to home for Touro. If cost is taken out of the equation by the NHSC scholarship, then where does that leave me?

Members don't see this ad.

LECOM-B, pretty happy with my decision.

Reactions: 1 users
LECOM-B, pretty happy with my decision.

Hi @Nomad86 , sorry to comment on such an old thread but I came across it since I pretty much have the SAME dilemma right now (except considering lecom b vs touro harlem). I'm a PA resident, would like to stay close to home or at least have a good chance of coming back north for rotation. however, i'm worried about the rotation situation at lecom b as well as the PBL curriculum (I love powerpoints... but I'm also an independent learner... so it's hard to figure out). I feel like I might be more comfortable with powerpoints at touro but the cost is so high.....just wanted to ask what made you ultimately choose LECOM B over touro??