lecom-bradenton or touro-nevada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjkatdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi - im looking for advice from current DO students. I've been accepted to both lecom-bradenton and touro-nevada. im leaning more towars lecom-bradenton because of PBL and location, but id really appreciate some info from anyone.

are both schools comparable, or is one definitely superior to the other?

thanks again,
Mike

Members don't see this ad.

... im leaning more towars lecom-bradenton because of PBL and location, but id really appreciate some info from anyone.

These threads quite often turn into a pissing contest where people who have never even been to either school love to voice their opinions the loudest. If you want to know about Bradenton just send me a PM. I'll be happy to answer. I couldn't possibly tell you anything about touro-nevada. It's probably a great school, but I could never justify paying 40 thousand a year in tuition when I could pay 25-- so, I never even looked at it.

Both are new schools.

I like Las Vegas so thats where I could go, but LECOM is cheaper.

Toss up IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi - im looking for advice from current DO students. I've been accepted to both lecom-bradenton and touro-nevada. im leaning more towars lecom-bradenton because of PBL and location, but id really appreciate some info from anyone.

are both schools comparable, or is one definitely superior to the other?

thanks again,
Mike

Thriving in PBL requires a certain willingness to participate on the part of the student that is absent in most other curriculums. After the interview you should have a pretty good idea if this fits you - if you're not sure, I'd go somewhere else. There are quite a few people here who probably don't really belong at a PBL school and their grades show it. The thing is, it's not like if PBL doesn't work for you, you can just switch to a lecture track. You really have to commit to it 100% to succeed at LECOM-B. If this is what you want, it should be a pretty easy choice.

Yeah, really think about if PBL will fit you or not. I'll be LECOM-BR this fall and from the beginning was really interested in the PBL curriculum (the state MD school here in town is also PBL "based"). After interviewing down there I am really looking forward to it. Plus I wanted to stay in Florida.

Yeah, really think about if PBL will fit you or not. I'll be LECOM-BR this fall and from the beginning was really interested in the PBL curriculum (the state MD school here in town is also PBL "based"). After interviewing down there I am really looking forward to it. Plus I wanted to stay in Florida.

Welcome. I think you will have fun, and work your butt off. PBL is an awesome way to learn.

welcome to LECOM-B! I can't sit in a classroom for hours on end and I learn better by case studies vs lecture so PBL was my choice for coming here...so far so good, no regrets. yeah there's a lot of work involved with PBL so enjoy your summer. don't hesistate to e mail me if you have any questions. see you in Aug!!

nlax,

congrats on the acceptance. I was def pulling for you. Its going to be nice having another laxer around. I think there is a bunch of guys in tampa that play. Id love to be able to get up there a couple of times and get some runs in.

Thanks! I haven't played in quite a while.....so it'd be nice to at least throw around some. Just haven't had the time lately to join up with a summer league or something. I'm sure there's something in Tampa though.

I wouldn't trade PBL for lecture ever. I learn well by myself, and the concept of going through with cases is going to better prepare us for real life doctoring. On the other hand, if you don't have a willingness to learn, and a willingness to go a little over your head, you probably aren't going to make it well, and you definately are going to annoy at least a couple people in your group. You have to be able to work well with others, as well as know that it's OK to struggle.

[mini pbl rant]
There's nothing that annoys me more than that one (sometimes two or three or more) student in the group that always bitches because they are in over their head, because they took last weekend off, or they don't understand the material, and so try to hold up the whole group. It's like, if you can't pull your weight, work harder, don't try to make us work less hard.

You will have one one of these people in your group. You will hate them. You will deal with them. And you will be a better person for it.
[/mini pbl rant]

If you have any LECOM-B questions, feel free to ask me.