Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

LECOM-Bradenton vs. WVSOM

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by dOcToRdOn, Mar 6, 2007.

1. dOcToRdOn

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Okay all,
    I got a few questions for a few of you guys who've been through all the admissions stuff. I've been accepted to both LECOM-Bradenton and WVSOM. I've sent in the money for Bradenton already so I know that I'm going somewhere next year, but now I have a huge choice to make. I have an interview at NOVA this friday, and I'm waiting to hear back from East Carolina University regarding an interview. But thats irrelevant to my questions.. My questions are these:
    1.) how much does a schools reputation or history play into getting a good job on the flip side of medical school? Is WVSOM, a school thats been around since the 70's fare better than LECOM-Bradenton, a school thats been open since '04?

2.) Does anyone know what the comlex and usmle scores are for these schools? Does anyone know of the link where I can look at their match lists to see what residency programs these students place into?

3.) I liked the campus better in WVSOM, it was larger, the anatomy lab looked awesome and they offer both PBL and SBL. I'm leaning towards PBL, but I like the fact that if I get into a bind, I can check out some of the slides from the SBL program. Are these good things to worry about? If not, what should I be worrying about? What reasons, and things did u look at in deciding between 2 schools when you applied? I liked the PBL program at Lecom-Bradenton. Their anatomy course was 10 weeks long and then they let u loose w/ the cases on PBL and the other mini courses for the rest of 2 years.

4.) I liked the florida weather alot better than W.Virginia, but I don't think weather should play heavily upon where I decide to pursue my medical education.

5.) And...does the fact that WVSOM having: a.) an awesome clinical program w/ their animatronic dummies to practice on b.) an in state rotation hospital consortium c.) an awesome anatomy lab d.) a little more laid back environment ..... are all of these good things to justify spending an extra 80 grand over 4 years to go there, versus Lecom-Bradenton?

So, if you all could please weigh on in this, let me know your thoughts, your criteria for choosing between 2 schools...thanks alot, b/c this is alot of money in the long run and Im trying to prepare myself as best as I can, at the cheapest rate I can.

Thanks alot!

Donny

2. DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Don't take this the wrong way: I absolutely understand the point of your post, and I sincerely hope that you get some useful information, but no one can tell you what school to go to, or whether a school is worth it. From your questions, you've obviously done your homework. Ultimately, you must weigh everything and make this decision for yourself.

That said, I will offer a couple opinions, since that's what you want ;) . Personally, I have a tough time justifying 80 grand to get the same degree; hell, I really wasn't willing to spend 15 grand more to attend AZCOM.

Good question. Worthy of debate, but don't expect anything other than qualitative opinions - the answer depends on too many factors to quantify. Certainly more established schools might give you a better chance of matching into a competitive residency, but your individual achievements play a huge role also.

I have no idea about WVSOM, but I'm sure it's kicking around somewhere. LECOM-B has only had one class take the boards so far and the results were less than was hoped - ~85% pass rate. I think there were some growing pains with the first class that hopefully have been addressed. I am anxiously looking forward to the second class' board experience. (I'm sure they're not).
    In talking to the 2nd years, they seem to feel relatively well prepared, so we shall see.
    You can download slides from the Erie LDP and go through them on your own if you want. I won't expound about how much I like PBL here, but you can search my previous posts if you're curious. Let's just say I'm a fan.
    I think it's reasonable to look for an environment where you'll be happy, weatherwise and citywise.
    As mentioned above, I have heard good things about WVSOM, but I didn't apply b/c of the cost. Whether or not you feel the same is up to you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. scpod

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    WVSOM was never on my list at all, simply because of the money. I'm sure that you can get a great education there, but $80,000 (plus the enormous interest over the life of a 30-year loan) is just too much for me. If I was a lot younger, however, it might worry me a little less.

PBL, though, is really what sold me. PBL in year-round warm weather is a heck of a blessing. I will never have to get up early to scrape snow off of the windshield or shovel my drive that the snowplow just covered up. I absolutely hate snow! It sounds kind of shallow, but those are the reasons. You can get a good education no matter where you go because learning to be a good doctor is solely up to the individual. Forget about what anybody else says (especially if they have never visited either school-- like many of the SDN'ers who absolutely love to give their opinions even though they've never set foot in the same state) and pick some place where you think you will be happy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OP
    OP
    dOcToRdOn

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks guys for your input. I really appreciate the prompt response to this post. However, Im still in a pickle. I liked the campus at WVSOM better, but it's only b/c it kinda fit into my idea of a medical school being more than just one building. (I have noooo idea why i thought this... i just did...but I dont plan on using it as a reason for justifying my impending decisions) Despite all the other things that I like about WVSOM, I just cant wrap my head around the extra 80K that it would cost me to go there. I just think its too much money. I mean, bradenton was roughly a total of 53K/year (after all expenses) and that's with a tuition thats half of what WVSOM is. Bradenton is sitting at 26K/year. I would rather live in Florida than west virginia; why i have no idea...maybe b/c its my birth state. I realize that what residencies you place into depends on your hard work, but it would be nice to see the board scores for both schools and see the match lists. Does anyone have that information?
    Thanks,
    Don

Gosh I hate being in a pickle...

5. scpod

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Actually, that's only the budget for the 1st year because they include a huge amount for a new computer, all the books you'll need for the first two years, and other "one-time" stuff that you need to buy. The budget for the next 3 years is smaller since you don't need all the other stuff

There are no match lists for Bradenton because it's only 3 years old. Likewise, only the first class has even taken the first step of the boards. So, there's no way to compare those. Sorry.