Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

LECOM-Bradenton Waitlist

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by FrogE7, Nov 28, 2005.

1. FrogE7

FrogE7 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    After three interviews, I am still in love with LECOM-Bradenton, only to find out today that I am only on their alternate list. Does any one have any idea about the alternate-list movement or how much other people might want to attend?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jsmittyund03

jsmittyund03 Bob Schneider fan
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm going to VCOM instead of LECOM-FL. That's one spot that'll open up.

J-Smitty

4. Old_Mil

Old_Mil Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Been a great season, hasn't it?

:clap:

ND '91

5. FrogE7

FrogE7 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

oooo thanks! :) what did you like about vcom?

6. VaGirl82

VaGirl82 Member
    5+ Year Member

VCOM has brand new facilities, great curriculum, awesome professors, affiliation with VaTech....and is located in a college town with a kick a** football team. But then again, I am prejudice ;)

7. FrogE7

FrogE7 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    haha yeah bradenton has new facilities and a great curriculum too. but i guess i like how it is NOT on a college campus with a kick a** football team. frankly, i am tired of those (from undergrad). :)

8. jsmittyund03

jsmittyund03 Bob Schneider fan
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Always nice to see another ND grad. I'm an '03, and can't wait for my first trip to Arizona for new years this year. God I hope we play OSU.

What did I like about VCOM? Well, after realistically analyzing myself, I realize that the more independently driven PBL curriculum down in Bradenton might be conducive for me screwing around. I like the systems based program at VCOM, I liked the anatomy lab the most of any school, and the fact that it's in a college town means I can feel like I am younger than I actually am (25 next week? ugh...that sucks). Plus it's only three and a half hours from good ole NOVA.

J-Smitty

9. MikeyLu2010

MikeyLu2010 UT Longhorns Alumni
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I just got invited for an interview via email from LECOM-Bradenton..even though i havent turned in my secondary yet...anyone else get this??? (i sent in aacomas)...to the OP...why did you love LECOM-B so much.?? just wondering..thx

10. iwillbesoon

iwillbesoon Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'll tell you what I liked/didn't like about Bradenton, even though I'm not the OP. Hope you don't mind.

+ all PBL - seems to me that a school that is all PBL will put everything they have into it. I wonder if Erie puts the same resources into PBL as well. Plus, there's lots of PBL people to meet and work with, as opposed to only about 40 in Erie.
    - housing is expensive. No hope of buying a house in Bradenton for me!
    + Florida...let's face it, it's awesome.
    - Florida. I'm used to having four seasons, not one.
    +++ the school is much more relaxed in general than Erie.
    - no bookstore.
    +++ campus was much more "comfortable" feeling to me.
    - no board scores of their own yet. Yes, I know Erie's PBL has historically done very well. But that's not quite the same as Bradenton doing well.
    - I love the idea of PBL....but what if I really stink at it? It does appear to be the best fit for me, but I like the assurance of having other learning pathways at Erie.
    - no real established history of rotations, match lists, res lists yet. Don't get me wrong, I believe Bradenton will be amazing, and I wish there were two of me (one for each school)....but, again, I like the assurance of Erie's history.
    - I've heard and read some complaints that Bradenton's PBL system isn't as organized as it could be yet. Sounds like there's a few kinks left - for example, a student on here said something to the effect that he or she had covered the same topic multiple times in PBL, but had not covered others at all because of the way the groups are set up and how they switch. I suppose this could happen at Erie as well - but I think fewer PBL people would lead to more unity in what is covered when. There was a second Bradenton student who echoed something to this same effect, and a third who was amazingly nice who absolutely loves Bradenton. I suppose it depends on who you talk to.
    + the community seems very receptive to LECOM - Bradenton. I saw a few articles and such while I was there. However, driving around, I saw NO D.O. offices...lots of M.D. offices though. Strange.
    + the students did seem more outgoing at Bradenton....very friendly.
    + I liked the building better than Erie. Someone on here referred to it as a mental institution, but I didn't get that feel at all. The fountain, trees, and the building itself are very nice.
    + the cafeteria kicks Erie's butt. (I know, not a big deal...but you asked what I liked.)
    + students opinions and input seem to have an effect on the admin. at Bradenton.
    + I read that Sarasota is one of the top ten safest places to live (based on natural disasters alone). It was in some pharmacy magazine for some reason. Anyways, as far as Florida goes, it doesn't seem that the area gets much in the way of hurricanes.
    + discounted rate at the YMCA next door.
    +/-...? I wonder how many people my age (22) live in the area (besides the med-schoolers).

Wow, that turned out longer than I expected. Sorry.

11. MikeyLu2010

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    EXCELLENT CRITIQUE..thank you...any others want to add-on...or comment on LECOM-b?

12. FrogE7

FrogE7 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Congratulations on the interview! When is it? (you can PM me the info for privacy reasons). I liked the school mostly because of PBL. I have done a post bac program where I took most of the first year medschool classes and feel very comfortable with the information. I am very aware of the kind of student that I am and know that discussion helps me learn and memorize. I believe PBL will help me further my understanding of the basic subjects. I am a very social person, but don't usually like approaching people and tend to become some what of a loner if allowed. PBL would help me really join together with people and interact with them academically. I think these discussions will help me better communicate on the wards third year. Like many people, I am a four seasons kinda gal, but I think that every one should experience different parts of the country. Florida would give me the perfect opportunity to try something else. I really did adore the actual buildings, the facilities, and most importantly, the attitude of the faculty and students. Every one seemed so laid back. I am currently residing in the north east region of the country, and believe me when I say, happy people are a scarcity. All in all, it is what I feel I need to perform comfortably in medical school--and I could give a rats a$$ about rankings!

13. MikeyLu2010

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    the email stated..that the interview invite will be given after i sent in my secondary/ LOR...so i dont have a set date yet..Im waiting on my decision from NSU before i do anything which should be tomorrow..or next monday...considering its my 1st choice

im soo scurrred :scared:

14. FrogE7

FrogE7 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    People seem to really like NSU. What's the deal with that? Why do you like it?

15. FrogE7

FrogE7 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    iwillbesoon--

so what's your final choice? erie, or bradenton?!?

16. MikeyLu2010

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Im like you frog...i like my 4 seasons..but when i went to interview in november...the weather was super nice..even though you could still see debris and damage on the roads from the hurricane that just hit..Anyway..For me NSU just felt right.. the 1st & 2nd year curriculum is awesome...and the clinical is really good too with a very long list of affiliated hospitals...their curriculum..is mostly lecture based..but there is a pinch of problem based in the 2nd year..and the curriculum is also systems based..which suits me the best...

on top of all this..their facilities are excellent..the new gym is going to be amazing (available spring 06)..they have the biggest library in florida..the list goes on and on..oh yea..the miami dolphins also practice there

if you do a search on pros and cons of NSU..everyone says the cons of NSU are attendance and dress code...but that doesnt bother me a bit..

The only cons i could see is that its a little more expensive...to live..and tuition (im out of stater from TX) but if the school feels right..you just cant help it!!

17. iwillbesoon

iwillbesoon Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ahhh! The pressure! I don't know...I think Erie.

18. iwillbesoon

iwillbesoon Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    BTW, Frog, you're worse than my family!! ....and they ask me that question about 216516914916 times a day....

19. FrogE7

FrogE7 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just got into both Bradenton and MSU. Now I have to decide! Looks like we lead similar lives. And BOY does my family bother me about that! I am thinking of depositing for both spots and then taking some time to revisit and decide. I have one other interview left. So we'll see... But there is a very good chance that you and I could end up as classmates. :cool:

20. iwillbesoon

iwillbesoon Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

Hey, great! Congrats, I know you wanted that Bradenton spot.

I "know" so many people from SDN at both LECOMs....whichever school I go to, I'm going to be walking around going "are you [insertSDNnamehere]?"

21. parrothead_stud

parrothead_stud all-around athlete
    5+ Year Member

ANother plus for Bradenton is Manatee Memorial Hospital. It is sweet. I drove by while I was interviewing and I couldn't imagine a better looking hospital to work at. Plus I hear the people there are very friendly. Additionally the faculty at Bradenton is incredibly nice.

22. kota315

kota315 drive fast, take chances!
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hello 2010'ers....

Just an 09'er from Bradenton taking a little study break and checking the blogs.... Thought I would give you my two bits about the school.... As a non-traditional student, I find the PBL format the only way to go.... It does require a lot of self control, as you only have to be in class 1/4 the amount of time as lecture base programs do, but you really learn better....We are covering so much information in such a little time and to actually have that information incorporated into a clinical aspect puts us light years ahead of lecture based students.... I guess the easy way to look at it would be book smarts vs street smarts, its all in the application of knowledge.

Let me put a few rumors to rest regarding the Bradenton PBL.... Is it disorganized.... Yes and No, now bear with me here.... you have to remember that this type of structure is inherently disorganized.... why you ask, well the pace and learning issues are determined by the group as a whole, nothing is pre-determined except the actual outcome of the clinical case, which actually has no bearing on what your doing anyway..... So will you come back across learning issues that you touched upon previously, god I hope so....will you miss a couple in the mix, probably, but then again you aren't going to learn everything about medicine in two years....

Problems in PBL: The problem a lot of individuals that are new to PBL try and do is diagnose the problem as quickly as possible....this is not the purpose of PBL, the goal is to get the group members to utilize their basic sciences to explain what is happening to the individual and why it is happening, how to find out what is causing the problem via various testing venues, and finally what the end result will be based on your assessment and newly found knowledge. They really push you to succeed here; no one wants to be "that guy" that show's up unprepared to participate. It is a lot of work outside of class; wait let me rephrase that, IT IS A TON OF WORK!!

All in all the classes are awesome.... from anatomy, OMM, to Clinical Exam....life in Bradenton couldn't be better.....well, I would like a book store, but that is only minor.

Okay, enough of the jibber jabber, I have to get back to the studies...PBL final on Friday and then nice relaxing 3week vacation in Michigan....did someone say 15 degrees....burr, toasty 70 today in Bradenton!

M-

23. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

MMH is a dump.

24. kota315

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    may I ask why you say that about MMH....as you are the first individual to express said opinion.

25. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

Because the inside is old, dirty, ugly, messy, and in need of renovation.

26. kota315

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Interesting.....very interesting.....I wonder when the last time they were inspected....or do they not carry any JHACO accredidation? I figured it couldn't be that bad considering they are in the talks with the AOA to get an EM residency in the next couple of years....

27. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

They have a conditional accreditation. As for a residency, considering what I've heard about some AOA programs, I'm not sure how selective they are. Where did you hear about a potential residency opening up?

28. kota315

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I heard it at a conference....like I said...they are just talking about it....perhaps it is more of an idea then a probability. I don't have any hard source for you...just here say.