DelAGator

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2005
Status
I was wondering , for those of you who have been accepted to LECOM-Bradenton, why did you choose a brand new school over the established DO schools?
Are the facilities nice, do they include the newest technologies, adequate journals and liibrary, and on campus housing? Where are the clinicals?

Congratulations new students.

UNDRDG

10+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2004
Illinois
Status
Thanks for asking! To clarify, LECOM-Bradenton is a satellite campus of a young, but established medical college in Erie, PA. To answer your questions, the facilities are brand new, wireless networked, with a charter class who loves their school. This was evidenced by the people I know in the class as well as the students I met with in my interview. Happily, I can post this as a member of the class of 2009. To this point I have to say the staff and faculty have been extremely helpful and cheerful regarding my admission. The main reason that I wanted to attend Bradenton was the Problem Based Learning curriculum or PBL. This is a progressive, case-based approach that helps you learn your objectives in ways that you will utilize throughout your career. I look forward to attending Bradenton and am very thankful I was able to get into my #1 choice. I will be attending medical school in a brand new building with faculty that want me to be there and Oh yeah, it's in Florida!!! :D

P.S. There is no on campus housing and FL is a very brisk real estate market!

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
The Sea
Status
As a member of the Class of 2008, let me say that I think you'll find most students chose LECOM-FL for two main reasons: the PBL curriculum and the location.
As for the question on rotation sites - LECOM-FL students will rotate at the same hospitals as the students in Erie. There are about 80 hospitals scattered throughout FL, PA, OH, MI, NY and other states to choose from.

sdh516

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Tampa, FL
Status
I am also a member of the class of 2009 at LECOM-B. I have to agree with my fellow LECOMers in saying the the PBL program, the faculty, and the facilities are the reasons I chose this school.

I graduated from UF undergrad and am finishing my masters at USF, and have had contact with both medical schools. I have to say that when I got to LECOM for the interview, any thoughts I had about attending these other two programs were gone. The faculty, staff, and current students make everyone feel welcome and make you feel like this is a place you want to spend the next 4 years. The facility is top-notch and they have the latest technology (I was impressed with the AV-wired clinic that allows students to practice in a "real world" setting while being watched by professors and classmates).

I could go on and on, but I will leave it at this. Are you thinking about applying to LECOM or are you just asking out of general curiosity?

VUMD2be

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2004
Status
Hi there.
I am applying to LECOM-B this summer (after april mcat) and I would like to visit the school sometime soon. I emailed the school about this and some other questions I had, but, alas, no response... Anyway, Lecom-b is prob. going to be on the top of my list and I would really like to visit the school, so if anyone has any advice pls. let me know.
Also, does anyone know when the bradenton office starts sending out acceptance letters? Im going to apply as early as possible, but I just wanted to know what sort of timeline Id be looking at and what some of your experiences are...
thanks.
B

sdh516

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Tampa, FL
Status
VUMD2be said:
Hi there.
I am applying to LECOM-B this summer (after april mcat) and I would like to visit the school sometime soon. I emailed the school about this and some other questions I had, but, alas, no response... Anyway, Lecom-b is prob. going to be on the top of my list and I would really like to visit the school, so if anyone has any advice pls. let me know.
Also, does anyone know when the bradenton office starts sending out acceptance letters? Im going to apply as early as possible, but I just wanted to know what sort of timeline Id be looking at and what some of your experiences are...
thanks.
B
Who did you contact in the admissions office? You might also try calling them; in my experience, I have had better luck getting info over the phone than thru email.

As for when they start sending out acceptances, I was interviewed October 5 and was accepted about 2 weeks later. My interview was the first scheduled for the year, so I guess you could assume that you would be looking at next October as the earliest time to start hearing from them.

Let me know if I can help you in any other way...Good luck on the MCAT!

Vince

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2001
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I'm a fourth year D.O. Student at WesternU/COMP out in SoCal, and our best professor moved down to LECOM-Bradenton. He teaches Anatomy and Neuroanatomy and is absolutely fabulous. I think the PBL is a great idea b/c I don't remember much of anything from the first two years.....I think LECOM-Bradenton will be a great DO school.

Also, our former Dean of Rotations is now down there and he was pretty good about getting students good rotation sites.

LeemerDO

4 FOX ACHE
15+ Year Member
May 29, 2003
The southwest corner of the US
Status
Attending Physician
Ah...Dr. Leo, One of the few here who can teach and teach well.

This school is not the same without him.

Who else can we look to when we want to "JUST SAY NO TO THE IRRESPONSIBLE MASS PRESCRIPTION OF RITALIN!!!"?

Tell him DO2007 says hello and PLEASE COME BACK!!!!

VUMD2be

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2004
Status
Hey there.
Ok. I am at a bit of a loss about LECOM-B's supplemental app question that goes something like: "How do you intend on financing medical school?" This may be a completely ignorant question, but does your financial situation matter to LECOM (or any DO school for that matter)? Would they give admissions preference to someone who could afford to pay the 30+K a year over someone who needs to take out student loans? Or do they just want to know that you have a plan??

Elmer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
VUMD2be said:
Hey there.
Ok. I am at a bit of a loss about LECOM-B's supplemental app question that goes something like: "How do you intend on financing medical school?" This may be a completely ignorant question, but does your financial situation matter to LECOM (or any DO school for that matter)? Would they give admissions preference to someone who could afford to pay the 30+K a year over someone who needs to take out student loans? Or do they just want to know that you have a plan??

I think they just want you to be aware of the requirement to pay in some form for school. Be sure to file your FAFSA.

DOrk

Digital Rectal Examiner
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2002
Erie, PA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As far as financial aid at LECOM, I think its more for the financial aid office to get some idea of what type of funding you will need assistance with. It determines where they send the federal paperwork and how many programs are incorporated into your personal needs to cover tuition and living cost. It should not be taken in a negative way. True, that many students at lecom had dr's for parents who pay their way but for many of us we need the loan route. It's just a guide for them to know what to expect. LECOM is the largest medical school right now as far as student enrollment with both campuses and there is one financial aid office for both (at least that's how it was last year).

Hope that clarifies.

KitKat0526

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2005
NY-Long Island
Status
VUMD2be said:
Hey there.
Hi! I was just accepted into LECOM-B's Class of 09' and I answered that question by saying my entire education would be financed by loans. I would recommend to just be honest, I'm sure that question does affect your acceptance status too much, since I definitely will not be contributing any of my own money to pay for tuition or anything else. GOOD LUCK!!!

DRSTEPHI27

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2004
Status
If you dont just want to have good weather...then the best reasons for choosing FLecom are the Docs and the program. I am an ms2 (PbLer) at lecom-erie and i know some of the profs down there and they are amazing!!! They were all hand picked from other DO schools by Dr.Krueger..who started up PBL in Erie. He is by far the greatest guy and is more like a grandpa/friend than a cool teacher. If you go.....you will be taken care of and be assured of passing. and from what i hear, Dr. Leo is the best teacher there is...and no one comes close. Dr Krueger was running our program in erie last year and since he left things have turned to ****....we all really miss him. If you go (which you should ) you will learn a lot....but you will also have fun, thats what kind of atmostphere it is.
Good luck!

VUMD2be

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2004
Status
Do you guys think it would be a good idea (or even a possibility) to shadow a DO @ LECOM-B's OMM lab when I visit? I have very little DO shadowing experiences (actually no shadowing, just a couple of ongoing interviews and an LOR from from a DO ortho trauma doc)... anyways, just thought ya'll would know best.
thanks!